Why do my traction and tpms lights come on at the same time?

snotrod

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
Like the title says... These lights keep coming on randomly, at the exact same time, and go away after turning off the car (2013 cx-5 touring). It most happens when I'm braking, but they have come on at other times too. The only thing that has changed recently is the dealership replaced my brake switch, see this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123851989-2013-Touring-no-start-First-time

I think it started after they replaced the relay, but I can't be sure. I don't drive the car everyday. So I took it back to the dealership yesterday and they replaced the switch AGAIN thinking it was just a defective part from the factoring and causing the lights to come on. It seemed fine until this morning, the lights came back on while I was braking off the freeway. Like I said, the lights go away after turning off/on again

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Make sure the tire pressure in all four tires are good. If OK, try doing the TPMS reset. I believe it's to the left of steering wheel (mine is in my 2016).
I had the same problem around 900 miles. Did the reset and haven't been bothered since.

Make sure the tire pressure in all four tires are good. If OK, try doing the TPMS reset. I believe it's to the left of steering wheel (mine is in my 2016).
I had the same problem around 900 miles. Did the reset and haven't been bothered since.

Yes, I agree this is a good place to start.

Set tire pressures, perform TPMS reset as in instruction manual.

Both the TPMS and Traction control systems are fed info from the same sensors, and that is the ABS sensor that is located at each wheel.

It sounds as if the computer is not receiving the expected data range from an ABS wheel sensor.

Possible tire inflation, possible bad ABS sensor, possible bad connection at ABS sensor, possible dirty ABS ring.

Last edited:
My car just started doing the same thing. I am hoping just a cleaning of the sensor and ring, which I will try to get to tomorrow. Does anyone know if the car computer will store a trouble code? and if so, Is Mazda the only place that can pull the code? The parts store says they can only pull codes for a check engine light. Also wondering if a code can be pulled will it narrow it down to which wheel is the culprit?

Yes, I agree this is a good place to start.

Set tire pressures, perform TPMS reset as in instruction manual.

Both the TPMS and Traction control systems are fed info from the same sensors, and that is the ABS sensor that is located at each wheel.

It sounds as if the computer is not receiving the expected data range from an ABS wheel sensor.

Possible tire inflation, possible bad ABS sensor, possible bad connection at ABS sensor, possible dirty ABS ring.

You could have a broken ABS sensor wire which makes and breaks continuity with movement of the wiring loom.

I Took all my ABS sensors out and wiped them. The only one that was really dirty was the front drivers side. Which looked like it had rust residue on it. But its plastic so not really a big deal for the sensor itself. Although there is a little round circle on the end of the sensor that I would assume is the part that does the sensing. That was pretty clean. So I am thinking if it continues its maybe the ABS ring for that wheel. But the hole is so small I have no idea how to get in there in clean it. So far today the lights are off. And was only on for about 20 percent of my driving yesterday before I cleaned them.

Spray some compressed nitrogen in there maybe if it comes back. The sensor isn't expensive or difficult to replace of that does indeed seem to be the cause and it continues.

The light came back on today. Thanks for the idea on the spray. I will give that a try when I get the chance. I see online the sensors are not that expensive, if I knew which one it was. Still cheaper to replace all four than take it to Mazda to get the code pulled. Could I get an ohm meter and test each one? And if one is bad. Why would it be intermittent. Sometimes its on when I turn on the car, then goes away when I start moving. Other times it just comes on while driving, then goes back off.
My mind says something like this is either bad or good. Not sure how something like this can slowly wear out.

The light came back on today. Thanks for the idea on the spray. I will give that a try when I get the chance. I see online the sensors are not that expensive, if I knew which one it was. Still cheaper to replace all four than take it to Mazda to get the code pulled. Could I get an ohm meter and test each one? And if one is bad. Why would it be intermittent. Sometimes its on when I turn on the car, then goes away when I start moving. Other times it just comes on while driving, then goes back off.
My mind says something like this is either bad or good. Not sure how something like this can slowly wear out.

See post #6 above.

Like the title says... These lights keep coming on randomly, at the exact same time, and go away after turning off the car (2013 cx-5 touring). It most happens when I'm braking, but they have come on at other times too. The only thing that has changed recently is the dealership replaced my brake switch, see this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123851989-2013-Touring-no-start-First-time

I think it started after they replaced the relay, but I can't be sure. I don't drive the car everyday. So I took it back to the dealership yesterday and they replaced the switch AGAIN thinking it was just a defective part from the factoring and causing the lights to come on. It seemed fine until this morning, the lights came back on while I was braking off the freeway. Like I said, the lights go away after turning off/on again

Any ideas?

Check your brake fluid level.

As your pads wear down fluid level goes down, when the fluid starts to slosh around it triggers brake fluid sensor occasionally which would activate both lights.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a 2014 CX5 that started doing this at around 60K miles. Dealer replaced the ABS

unit under the California Emissions warranty. That seemed to cure it for a few weeks but it just came back.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a 2014 CX5 that started doing this at around 60K miles. Dealer replaced the ABS

unit under the California Emissions warranty.
That seemed to cure it for a few weeks but it just came back.

ABS braking components are part of emissions?

Same thing happened to me this past November when it began to get cold. 2016 Mazda Cx-5 GT.

The tires were a bit low so I filled them and the issue went, reset TPS and it went away.

Next morning on my way to work the Tpms started flashing again followed by TPS and both stayed on.

Brought it to dealeship (under warranty) and they said it was a defective sensor for ABS. They replaced it.

Two weeks later it got colder and both sensors came back on when driving to work. This really pissed me off.

After work, both sensors were no longer showing. This happened on and off for few weeks depending on temperature.

I have not brought it back, and have not had it happen again. But, it was irritating.

Mind you two weeks after purchasingiit used with 29K my transmission died. First time the dealership had ever seen that happen i was told.

Lucky me!

Same thing happened to me this past November when it began to get cold. 2016 Mazda Cx-5 GT.

The tires were a bit low so I filled them and the issue went, reset TPS and it went away.

Next morning on my way to work the Tpms started flashing again followed by TPS and both stayed on.

Brought it to dealeship (under warranty) and they said it was a defective sensor for ABS. They replaced it.

Two weeks later it got colder and both sensors came back on when driving to work. This really pissed me off.

After work, both sensors were no longer showing. This happened on and off for few weeks depending on temperature.

I have not brought it back, and have not had it happen again. But, it was irritating.

Mind you two weeks after purchasingiit used with 29K my transmission died. First time the dealership had ever seen that happen i was told.

Lucky me!

Was it an AWD trans? If so welcome to the club.

unit under the California Emissions warranty. That seemed to cure it for a few weeks but it just came back.

I resolved my issue. I bought a brake light switch from on online Mazda discount dealer for about $20. Fairly easy to replace. Pretty much just plugs in at the brake pedal.
So far that has been my only issue in 4 years and 60,000 miles.

Also, brake lights worked as they should with the old switch. So you can't just test it by pressing on the brake pedal and see if the brake lights work.

Any ideas?

I have had the same problem with my 2014 CX5. Dealer replaced the brake light switch twice and finally replaced the ABS unit. That SEEMED to fix it but now the lights have come on again. The only idea I have now is that it was very cold and snowy last year when I was going through this and not it has started again on a very cold day in December. I do not think Mazda has identified this as a problem and come up with a solution.

Back