Mazda Coolant $25/gallon! What's an excellent aftermarket substitute?

Time to drain and replace the coolant. But the Mazda stuff seems outrageously priced. I will pay $75 in coolant. I just don't trust all brands but don't know what's good. What do you recommend?

As usual BobIsTheOilGuy has all the info you need and then some...

Mazda automotive coolants are green but they have almost NOTHING in common with conventional North American green coolant. Prior to the 2005 model year, Mazdas were equipped with a first generation P-OAT (phosphated organic acid technology) coolant developed and manufactured by CCI, the leading Japanese coolant company. P-OAT coolants rely on a combination of phosphates and organic acids to prevent corrosion; they contain no silicates or borates. In the 2005 model year, Mazda started using a second generation P-OAT coolant which has a lower concentration of phosphates and an improved organic acid additive package. The other major Japanese auto manufacturers, namely Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all use essentially the same coolant technology.

The only aftermarket P-OAT coolants are Japanese OEM coolants from Mazda, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant, and Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant (which reportedly is identical to the second generation Mazda FL22 OEM P-OAT coolant). For the record, Ford started using Japanese P-OAT coolant technology in many of its 2009 models (those sharing engine technology with Mazda) instead of G-05. Ford evidently found the performance of Japanese P-OAT coolants was superior to G-05 in Mazda engineered engines.

Using conventional North American green coolant in a Mazda is a bad idea. Even German (BASF) coolant technology as embodied in G-05, which contains silicates and no phosphates, is a much better choice than conventional North American green for vehicles with aluminum blocks and aluminum radiators. But a genuine P-OAT coolant, particularly a second generation P-OAT coolant like Mazda FL22 or Motorcraft Specialty Green, is the best choice.

As usual BobIsTheOilGuy has all the info you need and then some...

Mazda automotive coolants are green but they have almost NOTHING in common with conventional North American green coolant. Prior to the 2005 model year, Mazdas were equipped with a first generation P-OAT (phosphated organic acid technology) coolant developed and manufactured by CCI, the leading Japanese coolant company. P-OAT coolants rely on a combination of phosphates and organic acids to prevent corrosion; they contain no silicates or borates. In the 2005 model year, Mazda started using a second generation P-OAT coolant which has a lower concentration of phosphates and an improved organic acid additive package. The other major Japanese auto manufacturers, namely Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all use essentially the same coolant technology.

The only aftermarket P-OAT coolants are Japanese OEM coolants from Mazda, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant, and Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant (which reportedly is identical to the second generation Mazda FL22 OEM P-OAT coolant). For the record, Ford started using Japanese P-OAT coolant technology in many of its 2009 models (those sharing engine technology with Mazda) instead of G-05. Ford evidently found the performance of Japanese P-OAT coolants was superior to G-05 in Mazda engineered engines.

Using conventional North American green coolant in a Mazda is a bad idea. Even German (BASF) coolant technology as embodied in G-05, which contains silicates and no phosphates, is a much better choice than conventional North American green for vehicles with aluminum blocks and aluminum radiators. But a genuine P-OAT coolant, particularly a second generation P-OAT coolant like Mazda FL22 or Motorcraft Specialty Green, is the best choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

^ Looks like you might as well just buy it from the dealer at $25/gallon.

I would not risk any other. If the water pump fails, you must pull the engine to replace it!

I would not risk any other. If the water pump fails, you must pull the engine to replace it!

Agree...getting the right, although expensive, engine coolant is cheap insurance compared to a water pump failure. At $75 total, it will be your first and probably last time changing the engine coolant on the CX-9.

How many miles do you have on your CX-9, Pootie Tang?

First coolant change is at 120 thousand miles and subsequent coolant changes are every 60k miles.

I use the Ford undiluted equivalent stuff diluted with distilled water in my Mazdaspeed 3. It's the same as the FL-22 used by Mazda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I noticed a heavy antifreeze leak coming from my engine block on my 07' CX9 the other day, but it looks like the standard neon green antifreeze that you see in all other typical cars.. Ive never filled up antifreeze in this car and it has ALWAYS been serviced by the dealer.. Would using the wrong antifreeze cause the water pump to go bad? Im scared that I have to replace the water pump now, but Ive never put the wrong coolant in. The only place that would have ever filled the coolant would have been the dealer and you would assume they would know to add FL22 in it?? If this thing has the wrong coolant in it there is no one for me to blame other than the dealer.. Of course they would never take responsibility for something like that..

I think I only needed one gallon. I drained, flushed with tap water, final flush with a gallon of distilled water, then closed up and refilled.

Back