2017 CX-9 LA Bound!

(nailbyt)

Finally rid of the FORD Legacy motor, I too eagerly await the new platform and engine.

Skyactiv 2.5 Turbo?

I hope so. Though a six pot won't hurt either :D Either way, whatever the engine in the new Cx-9 will be, it needs to spread to be in the CX-5 and the Mazda6 as well.

So will there be no 2016 CX-9? And how early could the new model possibly ship? I'm on the verge of ordering a new Durango R/T as my wife has been begging for a new family vehicle for a year, but I'd like to see the new Mazda first. No other existing make/model has made my "buy" list except for the Durango.

So will there be no 2016 CX-9? And how early could the new model possibly ship? I'm on the verge of ordering a new Durango R/T as my wife has been begging for a new family vehicle for a year, but I'd like to see the new Mazda first. No other existing make/model has made my "buy" list except for the Durango.

If they are skipping MY '16, I would think that they would start selling the '17 in March or April, at the latest. Seems worthwhile to wait until the end of this month for the announcement.

I'm with you. The Durango is the only competitor that's come out since I bought my CX-9 in 2009 that I find intriguing. The new Highlander is actually decent but I like a more engaging drive, even in a 3 row CUV.

Note that the 2007 CX-9 pretty much came out of nowhere at the NY Auto Show in April 2006. It was available in less than a year after that. Maybe they'll have a quick show-to-showroom turnaround again.

Everyone's talking 2.5 turbo. Sounds nice but who knows. This combination might be overmatched by the weight and efficiency could be worse than the current engine. The Explorer did terribly with the 2.0 ecoboost and they now offer two bigger ecoboost options.
I think they should at least offer this car with a 3.5 V6 from Toyota. I'm no Toyota fan but that engine is smooth, powerful and relatively efficient in multiple Toyota and Lexus vehicles. This is Mazda's biggest car and I can't see them developing an engine for it alone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this Q1 2016. The spy shots show a VERY polished vehicle. But I feel like we would have seen more by now if it was a beginning on 2016 release. Remember that the 2013 Mazda 6 came out in January 2012!

Everyone's talking 2.5 turbo. Sounds nice but who knows. This combination might be overmatched by the weight and efficiency could be worse than the current engine. The Explorer did terribly with the 2.0 ecoboost and they now offer two bigger ecoboost options.
I think they should at least offer this car with a 3.5 V6 from Toyota. I'm no Toyota fan but that engine is smooth, powerful and relatively efficient in multiple Toyota and Lexus vehicles. This is Mazda's biggest car and I can't see them developing an engine for it alone.

They could share it with the Mazda6 and CX-5 regardless if its a turbo4 or a 6 cylinder.

I'm with you. The Durango is the only competitor that's come out since I bought my CX-9 in 2009 that I find intriguing. The new Highlander is actually decent but I like a more engaging drive, even in a 3 row CUV.

Note that the 2007 CX-9 pretty much came out of nowhere at the NY Auto Show in April 2006. It was available in less than a year after that. Maybe they'll have a quick show-to-showroom turnaround again.

The Durango is a great driving vehicle, much to my surprise. Also that Hemi rumble (on the R/T) is compelling, and towing capacity is great.

It's not easy on the fuel, obviously, and long-term reliability is suspect in my book (I've not owned a "domestic" automobile since 1987). So the Mazda has me intrigued.

If it's still 6-12 months out though there's no way the wife is going to wait. Also, if they pull a boneheaded move like Toyota and Honda and make 2nd row captains chairs mandatory in their top trim line it will be a no-go for me. I want all the passenger and cargo capacity I can get.

Hopefully this CX-9 follows in the footsteps of the last one and wins all kinds of awards including MT's SUV of the Year!

Fresh photos you can find on the web:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,942
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 2,443

attachment.php

attachment.php

Someone in another thread called these out as photo shopped. I'd be pretty disappointed in Mazda if they came out with an all new CX-9, and carried over the same 20" wheels they've been using since the 2011 MY.

Someone in another thread called these out as photo shopped. I'd be pretty disappointed in Mazda if they came out with an all new CX-9, and carried over the same 20" wheels they've been using since the 2011 MY.

Its pretty obvious they're photoshopped. Mazda6 headlights and DRLS, CX-5 grille, Mazda3 taillights, and current-gen Cx-9 alloy wheels.

Whoever posted them might be a bot

That looks like a 7 seater to me, same trunk dimensions as current 7 seater.
I don't think it's photoshopped, probably will have new 20" wheel style, just using current one for photo op now.
Exterior doesn't look much different from current model except the LED fogs which are useless for lighting up the road and basically for looks,
I prefer the current round foglights, so I can swap them out for round Hella projectors.
Why do they keep insisting on using that ugly grey plastic 360 all around, makes it looks like the basic model instead of high end color matched.

But inside is ALL MAZDA :) and love that SKYACTIV badge
most of the features match the disguised photos:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850373-Spied-2017-Mazda-CX-9

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

It indeed would also share many of the same body panels, if these pics were accurate....

I don't think it's photoshopped, probably will have new 20" wheel style, just using current one for photo op now.
Exterior doesn't look much different from current model except the LED fogs which are useless for lighting up the road and basically for looks,
I prefer the current round foglights, so I can swap them out for round Hella projectors.
Why do they keep insisting on using that ugly grey plastic 360 all around, makes it looks like the basic model instead of high end color matched.

I attended a Mazda Test Drive event this week. I spoke to someone who drove the new CX-9 in testing last month. The first photo is most likely what it will look like. He talked about it having a 2.5L turbo with 300lb ft of torque, I missed the hp figure. 6-speed auto, paddle shifters and lighter than the outgoing model. Not sure if it will require premium fuel. He did mention a new trim level above the GT model also a new 3 stage process grey color option. Can't wait to see its debut at the LA auto show.

They're photoshopped, although most likely not too far from end result.

The photos were obviously edited from this original:

mazdacx-9antalyaaction033_94441_180.jpg

Sorry if I induced people to mistake!

Back