How To Remove the Sensor Cover Behind the Windshield

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink on our 2016 GT AWD with Tech is loose. Rather than spend a half of day at dealer, I'd like to try to fix it by myself first. Has anyone tried to remove that big sensor cover behind the windshield? How do I remove it without breaking plastic tabs and damaging the windshield and sensors? Which corner or side should I try to pry the cover up first is the easiest?

Thanks in advance!

Does this help?

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.57.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.57.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.57.16 AM.png

Last edited:
I installed a dashcam and routed my wires up there. Broke a bunch of the plastic tabs. Replacement only cost about $8 from dealer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I installed a dashcam and routed my wires up there. Broke a bunch of the plastic tabs. Replacement only cost about $8 from dealer.
Nice to know if I indeed break those tabs (and looks like it's very likely) when I take this cover off, I can cheaply get a new cover! Thanks for the info.

Nice to know if I indeed break those tabs (and looks like it's very likely) when I take this cover off, I can cheaply get a new cover! Thanks for the info.

Sorry I lied. It's not that cheap, but it's still cheap.
I just looked up my receipt.
The left side I got for $14.06 (MSRP $18.98).
The right side I got for $15.65 (MSRP $21.13).
Total of $29.71 + Tax from my local dealer.

Sorry I lied. It's not that cheap, but it's still cheap.
I just looked up my receipt.
The left side I got for $14.06 (MSRP $18.98).
The right side I got for $15.65 (MSRP $21.13).
Total of $29.71 + Tax from my local dealer.
Well, for these prices they are still not outrageous. And from your experience are these covers really difficult to remove even if I follow the instructions provided by Kedis82ZE8? Any tricks or tips to open the covers without damaging the tabs? Thanks again!

Well, for these prices they are still not outrageous. And from your experience are these covers really difficult to remove even if I follow the instructions provided by Kedis82ZE8? Any tricks or tips to open the covers without damaging the tabs? Thanks again!

Yeah, I was careful as heck but I think because it's been installed for such a long time and being in the heat, the tabs are pretty much locked into place.
So pushing them just a little bit, they'll break.

Yeah, I was careful as heck but I think because it's been installed for such a long time and being in the heat, the tabs are pretty much locked into place.
So pushing them just a little bit, they'll break.
Or these covers just have weak tabs. May be I should let dealer to take care of my loose mirror. But then again, even if the tech at dealer breaks some tabs, he won't let me know and just put the old covers back as usual. I'm also curious to see those sensors hiding behind the windshield.

I finally decided to do something to our loose auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink on Sunday before the weather is getting too cold and the tabs of plastic cover may become less flexible and more fragile. I guess I was lucky none of the tabs been broken after I separated the windshield sensor cover. Again thanks to Kedis82ZE8 otherwise I would need to get the new cover!
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors%252520Cover_03.jpg

The T20 screw holding the heavy mirror was loose. I tightened it up but not too much as I'm fully aware the weak windshield issue on CX-5 and many people had line crack developed from this sensor area due to stress fracture which might be caused by the heavy mirror attached to a small metal plate glued to the windshield, definitely not sensors as these sensors looked pretty light-weighted and attached to larger area of the windshield.
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

I've seen at least one forum member mentioned having the loose auto-dimming rearview mirror. That's why I went ahead and checked ours for sure ours was loose too. I suspect Mazda is intentionally not putting enough torque on this T20 screw to prevent adding too much uneven force by the screw itself against the metal plate and windshield, hence loose mirror after the delivery. But leaving the mirror loose may also contribute possibility of line crack on windshield as the base of the mirror will keep banging the windshield. To me, the design needs to be improved. At least the metal plate which glued to the windshield where the heavy mirror attached to should be larger and thicker!

How did you know it was loose? my mirror vibrates while playing music so hopefully this is a possible fix

How did you know it was loose? my mirror vibrates while playing music so hopefully this is a possible fix
From your description your auto-diming mirror is very likely loose at the base. When you hold the mirror, you should feel and see the small easy movement on the thick metal extension bar going into the sensor cover. The adjustment of mirror should be tilted at the joint between the mirror and extension bar, and the extension bar itself is supposed to be firm without any movement.

Make sure to press as many tab A positions as possible on the cover A (I wish I had 15 fingers) according to the diagram Kedis82ZE8 provided while you're pulling cover A to the right. You have to use some force to separate the cover A. Be careful not to tighten the T20 Torx screw too much otherwise the windshield may crack due to stress fracture. Like I said, Mazda may be purposely making this screw not too tight for 2016 models to prevent cracked windshield issue hence the loose mirror afterward.

I finally decided to do something to our loose auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink on Sunday before the weather is getting too cold and the tabs of plastic cover may become less flexible and more fragile. I guess I was lucky none of the tabs been broken after I separated the windshield sensor cover. Again thanks to Kedis82ZE8 otherwise I would need to get the new cover!
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors%252520Cover_03.jpg

The T20 screw holding the heavy mirror was loose. I tightened it up but not too much as I'm fully aware the weak windshield issue on CX-5 and many people had line crack developed from this sensor area due to stress fracture which might be caused by the heavy mirror attached to a small metal plate glued to the windshield, definitely not sensors as these sensors looked pretty light-weighted and attached to larger area of the windshield.
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

I've seen at least one forum member mentioned having the loose auto-dimming rearview mirror. That's why I went ahead and checked ours for sure ours was loose too. I suspect Mazda is intentionally not putting enough torque on this T20 screw to prevent adding too much uneven force by the screw itself against the metal plate and windshield, hence loose mirror after the delivery. But leaving the mirror loose may also contribute possibility of line crack on windshield as the base of the mirror will keep banging the windshield. To me, the design needs to be improved. At least the metal plate which glued to the windshield where the heavy mirror attached to should be larger and thicker!
So I tried this but it only stayed right for about 500km of driving before it becomes loose again. It's really annoying and I'm not sure what to do.

So I tried this but it only stayed right for about 500km of driving before it becomes loose again. It's really annoying and I'm not sure what to do.
Yes, mine is a bit loose again and the next time I’d apply some Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 and see if it can keep the rearview mirror tight for longer period of time.

Yes, mine is a bit loose again and the next time I’d apply some Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 and see if it can keep the rearview mirror tight for longer period of time.
Ah good idea. I think it gets loosened due to vibration when we drive. Support annoying. Will try this.

Back