Extended struts and shock mounts.

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
Anyone on here has made a diy extended strut and shock mounts? When I use to have a miata there was many options, but the protege seems like there is none. It will be very beneficial for us since we have McPherson setup.

not sure what your looking to do. use a longer strut or mount it higher in the tower. which you cant do without modifying the strut tower. it could be done for sure but you would have to cut the original strut tower out and make your own. most people would just get coilovers with camber plates.

Yea. I realize that most coils for our car are somewhat garbage in the sense of performance oriented. I'm looking at illumina and springs. Want the front to lower about an inch and still have the travel.

The process you are speaking of. Have anyone tried it?

Miatas have shocks, so it's much easier to make that work. Struts have the perch integrated into them so you can't really do much except bolt em on. I think a set of halfway decent coilovers...maybe KW...is what you're gonna need to lower it without losing travel.

Most good coilovers will lower the car without adjusting travel greatly and you can get them with softer springrates on request. Damping is ofc adjustable. Lower is just gonna ride rough no matter what though. Compensate with fatter tires.

Yes. I understand lowering a vehicle without adjusting the preload perch. But the coil itself is garbage. So if I'm on a budget why not go for a set of decent springs and tokico illumina. Instead getting these mediocre coils for sub 1k.

I think that's your opinion which is fine but many many people swear by the yellowspeed/bcracing/ksport style coilovers for street use. If your roads are really bad, consider stepping down to a 16" rim and running a mestier tire. Otherwise you will have to custom make your own struts.

I'm always wondering if anyone has done koni or bilstein inserts. I understand awr offered something like this before

Back