Smart City Break System

Jazzjim

:
2001 xterra
Is it necessary to get the Smart City Break System when offering a GT with the LED lighting? I really don't want it, but I do want the LED lighting, head lights, fog light, daytime running lights.

Yeah pretty sure they come together as a package. However, you can turn off SCBS.

It is, I asked about it when I signed for mine last week. Its part of the Tech package.

Also you can't permanently disable it. You have to turn it off every time you start the car.

What is your concern with getting it, looks? It's really a cool safety feature that works very well. I was in bumper to bumper traffic and the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. I was also rubber necking looking at the cause of the the traffic jam and the brake system saved my butt.

Here's a point which people tend to overlook. The new generation of cars (CX-5 included) does not have a protruding lip on the front bumper. This means your likelihood of damaging the grill, hood, headlights etc. is much higher in the event of a slow speed collision. The front bumper as it is on these cars is absolutely useless for what it's supposed to do. This is why SCBS is all the more important to have in a CX-5. It has already saved me couple of times in bumper to bumper traffic situations, and paid for itself that way. I highly recommend it.

That said, does anyone know why the new car designs don't have a protruding bumper in the front and rear? If you bump these cars on a lamp post while backing up, you pretty much end up bending the hatch.

Here's a point which people tend to overlook. The new generation of cars (CX-5 included) does not have a protruding lip on the front bumper. This means your likelihood of damaging the grill, hood, headlights etc. is much higher in the event of a slow speed collision. The front bumper as it is on these cars is absolutely useless for what it's supposed to do. This is why SCBS is all the more important to have in a CX-5. It has already saved me couple of times in bumper to bumper traffic situations, and paid for itself that way. I highly recommend it.

That said, does anyone know why the new car designs don't have a protruding bumper in the front and rear? If you bump these cars on a lamp post while backing up, you pretty much end up bending the hatch.

I would say its a stylistic and likely aerodynamic choice on behalf of the automaker. I don't think those old fashioned chrome bumpers were any more effective, other than, as you point out, sacrificing themselves in low impact situation rather than the body panels and doors.

Ours works. (2thumbs)

BTW...

B-r-a-k-e: the pedal to the left of the accelerator

B-r-e-a-k: coffee?

It's an annoying feature imo and the two times I have encountered it were totally unnecessary. That's how I found out an oddity: if you toggle the TCS off, it also says SCBS is off (by the way TCS is not actually off, the threshold is just higher). If you actually hard disable it, by holding for 10 seconds it turns the TCS completely off but enables the SCBC again!

Ours works. (2thumbs)

BTW...

B-r-a-k-e: the pedal to the left of the accelerator

B-r-e-a-k: coffee?

I know. I wish someone could edit the title of this thread because using the wrong word is actually contagious. "Break pedal" starts to look normal if it's seen enough and already it seems 25% of people on Mazdas247 think that's how you spell brake. 20 years ago almost everyone spelled "brake" properly. It's like a contagious disease!

While on this topic, I read through the section in the manual on SCBS but couldn't determine an answer to my question. Does the SCBS only work if you come too close to the vehicle ahead and do NOT have your foot on the brake? Meaning if you are pressing the brake and approaching a car too closely, will the system still activate? I feel I've deliberately(but in a safe manner for sure without pushing the boudaries beyond what I thought was safe) approached a car real close to see if it worked but I of course was still hitting the brakes and was thinking maybe it wasn't going to go off since I was pressing the brake. The most logical answer is I just didn't get close enough to the car to set the system off(I wouldn't ever get that close in reality). If that's the case, that is some pretty crazy technology to be able to react that quickly when that close.

While on this topic, I read through the section in the manual on SCBS but couldn't determine an answer to my question. Does the SCBS only work if you come too close to the vehicle ahead and do NOT have your foot on the brake? Meaning if you are pressing the brake and approaching a car too closely, will the system still activate? I feel I've deliberately(but in a safe manner for sure without pushing the boudaries beyond what I thought was safe) approached a car real close to see if it worked but I of course was still hitting the brakes and was thinking maybe it wasn't going to go off since I was pressing the brake. The most logical answer is I just didn't get close enough to the car to set the system off(I wouldn't ever get that close in reality). If that's the case, that is some pretty crazy technology to be able to react that quickly when that close.

You could put a carboard box out with maybe some foil on it and see if it works without braking

What is your concern with getting it, looks? It's really a cool safety feature that works very well. I was in bumper to bumper traffic and the car in front of me slammed on his brakes. I was also rubber necking looking at the cause of the the traffic jam and the brake system saved my butt.

I agree 100%. The SCBS is well worth it. It has the highest NHTSA rating. It can and will save your butt.

It should be standard on all new cars and probably will be in the next 5-10 years.

IMO: More than likely SBS version though within 5 years

The technologies are maturing fast. I have a version in my old '07 G35x called Preview Braking. It won't stop the car by itself but will pre-charge the brake system in anticipation of a collision so a slight touch of the brake pedal exerts far more braking effort.

..or as Motortrend says "primes the binders when the radar sensors think you're about to crash."

It's extra peace of mind for me. I haven't had it activate on me after some half-hearted attempts at trying it. I did read somewhere if you're actively steering/braking, it will not engage. It will only do so when your hands and feet are not doing anything. *shrugs*

Here is some criteria on making a test reflector.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-31%20at%207.18.43%20AM.png

It's extra peace of mind for me. I haven't had it activate on me after some half-hearted attempts at trying it. I did read somewhere if you're actively steering/braking, it will not engage. It will only do so when your hands and feet are not doing anything. *shrugs*

I'm gonna look around FSM... IMO: possibly some kind of braking deactivates but doubtful on the steering part.

New standards for pedestrian impacts. They're designed to flex and push a pedestrian up onto the car, instead of pulling them underneath.

And it looks like in Europe they pop the hood up from the windshield to further cushion the blow: http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/safety/passive_safety/bonnet_bumper.html

Back