Mazda CX-5 Touring won't start?

Can someone point me to where the vacuum hose is on the cx-5? I am trying to do some tests at home and not sure exactly which is the hose.

If you are not sure which hose is the brake vacuum hose, just stop and leave it alone. You can deplete the vacuum in a healthy system by touching the pedal about 4 times. Then, it will feel stiff, but return to normal when the engine starts. If the brake lights come on, it should start. Did they?

You did not state what the IP and start button lights did during a start attempt. That is crucial to diagnosis. Even if the fob battery is dead, you can start the car by pushing the button with the correct end of the fob, instead of a finger.

Last edited:
My 2016 CX5 GT AWD has the same symptom....hard brake pedal, won't start...Sometimes it will start in about five minutes...sometimes fifteen,

But...when it does start, the idiot lights.....check engine, traction control, and tire pressure stay on. There have been a couple of times that it did finally start but would not shift out of park. I turn it off and wait 15 minutes.

If I have had no problem starting the car that day...the lights are not on.

I do not like being stranded for 15 minutes or so and worry that it someday will not start.

Has anybody found the solution?

My 2016 CX5 GT AWD has the same symptom....hard brake pedal, won't start...Sometimes it will start in about five minutes...sometimes fifteen,

But...when it does start, the idiot lights.....check engine, traction control, and tire pressure stay on. There have been a couple of times that it did finally start but would not shift out of park. I turn it off and wait 15 minutes.

If I have had no problem starting the car that day...the lights are not on.

I do not like being stranded for 15 minutes or so and worry that it someday will not start.

Has anybody found the solution?

Suggest you read the code for check engine light - Autozone does it for free.

Suggest you read the code for check engine light - Autozone does it for free.

Mystery solved....$19.97 for brake switch part...$216 for labor....

The brake switch was faulty...did not allow the brake pedal to advance enough to start ....

Car now starts perfectly, brake is not "hard"...no idiot lights on...whew!

This is our second CX5 (first was 2014)...love these cars..and first glitch in 125,000 miles on them.

But was an expensive adventure...the Mazda dealer is 80 miles away over the mountain and into the flatland....our total costs:

$236 repair
$187 hotel
$40 car rental

Mystery solved....$19.97 for brake switch part...$216 for labor....

The brake switch was faulty...did not allow the brake pedal to advance enough to start ....

Car now starts perfectly, brake is not "hard"...no idiot lights on...whew!

This is our second CX5 (first was 2014)...love these cars..and first glitch in 125,000 miles on them.

But was an expensive adventure...the Mazda dealer is 80 miles away over the mountain and into the flatland....our total costs:

$236 repair
$187 hotel
$40 car rental

Ouch! When our 2015 CX-5 had this issue, I just called Mazda Roadside Assistance for the tow to the dealer. They took care of towing, rental, and repair, and also sent me a couple Mazda Credit cards so that I could take my hosts out to dinner, since they were letting me crash at their house overnight from the Mazda repair.

Ouch! When our 2015 CX-5 had this issue, I just called Mazda Roadside Assistance for the tow to the dealer. They took care of towing, rental, and repair, and also sent me a couple Mazda Credit cards so that I could take my hosts out to dinner, since they were letting me crash at their house overnight from the Mazda repair.

Ain't warranty coverage great?! That's almost unbelievable.

Hi, I’m having the exact same issue as billybud and I just replaced the switch and sometimes it works and sometimes the brake pedal will still not depress? 🤨

Back