Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Cx-5 touring won't start?

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Here is a video of my car not starting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csNrhn6YLGQ

Perhaps could of filmed into things a bit closer..

Of course the dealer called me today and said the car started no problem. They will look into it more tomorrow.

Also, I found this post on reddit, which is the exact same issue I am having:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comme...tarting_issue/

I messaged the guy, and he thinks it's because the car get's too cold and the hydraulics stiffen up. I think that's definitely not the case. No way these cars can't handle some cold weather.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Vacuum leak in the brake booster. Cool weather can tighten things up to the point a small leak opens, leaving you without reserve for the power assist, making it difficult to push the pedal. Not common at all, probably a small error in the manufacture of a part.
    Last edited by craigo; 11-04-2015 at 12:22 AM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Interesting. As I have been doing more research, this seems like it could be the problem. Is there any way to tell if there is a leak without taking it to the shop?

Registered Member

CX 5 Grand Touring / AWD Tech package

First try the other key. If that has the same reaction bring the key to the push button as if the battery was dead in the key fob . (both fobs, check manual) If this does not work check to see if your brake lights are on when stepping on the brake. There has to be a connection between the brake light circuit and the starting circuit. Could be a weak battery in the fob or the other brake problem listed above. Then check to see if it is in park or go from park to neutral doing the starting procedure both places. If I were you I would take it back let them keep it for awhile so someone there will get stranded. Please keep us informed of the outcome. Remember usually lemon laws state you have to take it back to the dealer a certain amount of times or they have to have it in the shop for let say 30 days. I would read the law then start making records. Make sure you get a record every time it goes to the shop.
    Last edited by Tom 6-6; 11-04-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Sounds good Tom. I will definitely keep you posted. I honestly think it is the vacuum. Because I can't try any of those solutions (moving to neutral/drive, etc or push down the brake to see if the brake light is on) because the brake is stiff and won't push down. So whatever is causing the break to stiffen up, is the problem.

Registered Member

The brake stiffening up is normal. There is a vacuum reservoir that holds a very limited volume of vacuum to assist with the brakes when the engine is not generating a vacuum (wide open throttle, not running....). It allows a limited number of brake applications before being exhausted, which is one of the reasons to not shut off an engine if the throttle is jammed (use neutral) Try applying the power assisted brakes in any car with the engine off and you will find that after a couple applications the brake is much stiffer though fully functional.

If the problem is associated with the brakes it is likely the switch isn't adjusted correctly and the brakes pedal needs to be pressed too far before the car starts.
    Last edited by jjw6455; 11-04-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Thanks for the input! So what am I supposed to do when the brake is completely tight when entering the car? It will not press down at all and it needs to be to sense the key.

Many people online have been saying it is because of the cold weather...The two times this happened to me was when the car was parked outside without being driven for to days. I feel like there has to be something fixed so this doesn't happen. I drove my 97 honda for 7 years before this and never experienced it once.

Registered Member

CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by speedyboy13 View Post
    Thanks for the input! So what am I supposed to do when the brake is completely tight when entering the car? It will not press down at all and it needs to be to sense the key.

Many people online have been saying it is because of the cold weather...The two times this happened to me was when the car was parked outside without being driven for to days. I feel like there has to be something fixed so this doesn't happen. I drove my 97 honda for 7 years before this and never experienced it once.

There is clearly something wrong with your car and the dealer needs to fix it. What will help the dealer is a very detailed report. Example.

measuring the brake pedal travel with a ruler I get ( fill in) This is measured from rest to pressing the pedal as hard as possible with one foot.
    When the car will start, the pedal travels ( fill in ) inches before the green light comes on. My CX-5 pedal travels 1/4 in before the light goes on.
    It might also be useful to know if you sit in the car and press the pedal for about a minute, will it finally move far enough to turn on the green start light and allow you to start the car?
    Why would a free people elect for themselves 'lawmakers'?

Registered Member

I pumped the brake a couple times to completely use the vacuum reserve. Then I slowly pressed the brake to see when the start button turned green. It turned green just as the brake started to give some resistance (about 1/4 inch as fdew mentioned). It was also at the same time the brake lights came on ( I could see the reflection in the mirror). So, if your pressing the brakes minimally the brake lights should come on at the same time the start turns green. If you have to press the brake so it travels significantly ( > 1/2 inch) before the brake light goes on the switch is misadjusted. If your brake lights go on, but the start button doesn't turn green there is something else wrong.

I looked at the wiring diagram and the wire from the brake switch goes directly to the rear lights and the start stop module. But I noticed that on the way to the start/stop module it goes through the neutral safety switch on the transmission. Is it possible that the transmission isn't completely in park ? Could be misadjusted, if you wiggle it a bit does it start ? The car doesn't have to be running for the gearshift to be unlocked, just press the start button until it is in "run" position.
    Last edited by jjw6455; 11-04-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjw6455 View Post
    I pumped the brake a couple times to completely use the vacuum reserve. Then I slowly pressed the brake to see when the start button turned green. It turned green just as the brake started to give some resistance (about 1/4 inch as fdew mentioned). It was also at the same time the brake lights came on ( I could see the reflection in the mirror). So, if your pressing the brakes minimally the brake lights should come on at the same time the start turns green. If you have to press the brake so it travels significantly ( > 1/2 inch) before the brake light goes on the switch is misadjusted. If your brake lights go on, but the start button doesn't turn green there is something else wrong.

I looked at the wiring diagram and the wire from the brake switch goes directly to the rear lights and the start stop module. But I noticed that on the way to the start/stop module it goes through the neutral safety switch on the transmission. Is it possible that the transmission isn't completely in park ? Could be misadjusted, if you wiggle it a bit does it start ? The car doesn't have to be running for the gearshift to be unlocked, just press the start button until it is in "run" position.

The poster said his brake was abnormally stiff after sitting all night. This isn't an uncommon problem or unique to the cx-5 (although on a new car it is, and for this forum it also is). This is usually caused by a slow leak of the brake booster vacuum reserve overnight. The dealer should be very familiar with ways to test and repair this, and it will be covered under warranty.

Registered Member

You might have to stand on the brake until the key light comes on. Then drive it to the dealer and tell them that after sitting overnight, the brake becomes difficult to move but is fine after the engine starts. They shouldn't have to repeat this for themselves in order to test for vacuum leaks, but you need to be specific in your description (don't just say "it wont start", there's 50+ reasons it might not start but very few reasons why the brake is stiff in the morning)

Plenty of Hondas have check valves and gaskets leak in their brake boosters too. It's not a rare problem and is relatively easy to fix once diagnosed.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Thanks Craigo,

I mentioned to the dealer that I think it is a leak in the vacuum. I am waiting to hear back. I had the car towed there, but of course, it started right up when they got the car.

They also mentioned that the new CX-5 has had complaints about some faulty parts having to do with the start button. The dealership is checking if that is the issue and if it is, mazda will send the new parts.

Registered Member

while they're at it.I'd have them check the brake switch and transmission neutral switch adjustments

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Thanks Craigo,

I mentioned to the dealer that I think it is a leak in the vacuum. I am waiting to hear back. I had the car towed there, but of course, it started right up when they got the car.

They also mentioned that the new CX-5 has had complaints about some faulty parts having to do with the start button. The dealership is checking if that is the issue and if it is, mazda will send the new parts.
    Hopefully they will commit to keeping it overnight to duplicate the problem?

2016 models have the new electronic Parking e-brake. Can you feel the parking brake system activate and deactivate in the brake pedal?
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Yep they have had it for two nights and have not replicated the problem. I do feel the e brake working when the brake is not tight.

I just got a call from them and they are replacing the push start button system. I'm not really sure why, because there was no problem found with it, but I guess I'll see if that helps!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast