Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Cx-5 touring won't start?

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by speedyboy13 View Post
    Yep they have had it for two nights and have not replicated the problem. I do feel the e brake working when the brake is not tight.

I just got a call from them and they are replacing the push start button system. I'm not really sure why, because there was no problem found with it, but I guess I'll see if that helps!
    Do you have anybody in your household that could be entering the vehicle, pressing the pedal while playing, listening to music, making out, etc.?
    Mazda's I have owned over the years.
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Yep they have had it for two nights and have not replicated the problem. I do feel the e brake working when the brake is not tight.

I just got a call from them and they are replacing the push start button system. I'm not really sure why, because there was no problem found with it, but I guess I'll see if that helps!

That wouldn't explain or help why your brake pedal is too stiff to push. Are they aware of that?

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Yea, they are. They checked and didn't find anything.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Update: Got my car from the shop today. They were unable to identify anything wrong with the car. They did check the vacuum/brake booster.

They are ordering a new push start button because that is what Mazda tech told them to do. I guess 6 cars in the country have had failed push start buttons...

I'll keep you guys updated if this happens to my car again and also if the new button helps.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Can someone point me to where the vacuum hose is on the cx-5? I am trying to do some tests at home and not sure exactly which is the hose.

Can someone point me to where the vacuum hose is on the cx-5? I am trying to do some tests at home and not sure exactly which is the hose.
    Start on the firewall, find the big black power brake booster attached to the firewall underneath the brake fluid reservoir. Vacuum line is attached to this booster, as well as a one way check valve to prevent vacuum loss.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring w/Tech

This same problem started happening to my 2014 CX-5 touring this morning (a cold morning). Ignition light is green, and brake pedal cannot be pushed down very far (feels like it's stuck). When I do push the button, there's just a click and basically all the error lights on the dash turn on. Did anyone manage to come up with a home remedy? If not, I guess I'll be calling for a tow.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring w/Tech

Nevermind. I'm dumb. It was a dead battery. I didn't think this was the case because lights, nav, were working. But I noticed the horn sound was really weak when I locked it, so I got a jump and it started fine. Sorry for creating noise around this issue.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

There are a couple. I'd use the one on the intake manifold below the throttle body. Its not inline with the pcv so its more consistent. Ill get a pic later. You can easily reroite these lines with some 3/8 hose from autozone, vacuum tees and clamp
    I wouldn't reference anything or piggy back off the brake booster. And defintely dont put a turbo vacuum line over there.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Have the same issue with my 2013 CX-5!!!

Happened to me again today :/

My brake was already stiff when I got in the car and it would not sense the key. Having it towed in..
    My Mazda does the same thing. Can't press pedal and nothing electrical works!!! Can go out 1-5 hours later and it can start right up. Had it in Mazda service and they could not duplicate the problem, so they
    can't find anything to fix. About to trade it in to Mazda and let them deal with it. Can't trust it past the driveway.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

If you are not sure which hose is the brake vacuum hose, just stop and leave it alone. You can deplete the vacuum in a healthy system by touching the pedal about 4 times. Then, it will feel stiff, but return to normal when the engine starts. If the brake lights come on, it should start. Did they?

You did not state what the IP and start button lights did during a start attempt. That is crucial to diagnosis. Even if the fob battery is dead, you can start the car by pushing the button with the correct end of the fob, instead of a finger.
    Last edited by ColtX-5; 01-10-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    '06 MX-5 6MT, Custom Sprung Ohlins, Tomei LSD
    '16.5 CX-5 T AWD w/more Soul
    IBA/COG Desmoquattro for pleasure

Registered Member

2014.5 cx 5 Touring

My 2016 CX5 GT AWD has the same symptom....hard brake pedal, won't start...Sometimes it will start in about five minutes...sometimes fifteen,

But...when it does start, the idiot lights.....check engine, traction control, and tire pressure stay on. There have been a couple of times that it did finally start but would not shift out of park. I turn it off and wait 15 minutes.

If I have had no problem starting the car that day...the lights are not on.

I do not like being stranded for 15 minutes or so and worry that it someday will not start.

Has anybody found the solution?

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

Quote Originally Posted by billybud View Post
    My 2016 CX5 GT AWD has the same symptom....hard brake pedal, won't start...Sometimes it will start in about five minutes...sometimes fifteen,

But...when it does start, the idiot lights.....check engine, traction control, and tire pressure stay on. There have been a couple of times that it did finally start but would not shift out of park. I turn it off and wait 15 minutes.

If I have had no problem starting the car that day...the lights are not on.

I do not like being stranded for 15 minutes or so and worry that it someday will not start.

Has anybody found the solution?
    Suggest you read the code for check engine light - Autozone does it for free.

Registered Member

2014.5 cx 5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by GAXIBM View Post
    Suggest you read the code for check engine light - Autozone does it for free.

Mystery solved....$19.97 for brake switch part...$216 for labor....

The brake switch was faulty...did not allow the brake pedal to advance enough to start ....

Car now starts perfectly, brake is not "hard"...no idiot lights on...whew!

This is our second CX5 (first was 2014)...love these cars..and first glitch in 125,000 miles on them.

But was an expensive adventure...the Mazda dealer is 80 miles away over the mountain and into the flatland....our total costs:

$236 repair
    $187 hotel
    $40 car rental

Quote Originally Posted by billybud View Post
    Mystery solved....$19.97 for brake switch part...$216 for labor....

The brake switch was faulty...did not allow the brake pedal to advance enough to start ....

Car now starts perfectly, brake is not "hard"...no idiot lights on...whew!

This is our second CX5 (first was 2014)...love these cars..and first glitch in 125,000 miles on them.

But was an expensive adventure...the Mazda dealer is 80 miles away over the mountain and into the flatland....our total costs:

$236 repair
    $187 hotel
    $40 car rental
    Ouch! When our 2015 CX-5 had this issue, I just called Mazda Roadside Assistance for the tow to the dealer. They took care of towing, rental, and repair, and also sent me a couple Mazda Credit cards so that I could take my hosts out to dinner, since they were letting me crash at their house overnight from the Mazda repair.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast