Winter Tire Set

I just installed Michelin x ice 2 , anyone have any feedback on them?

I will at some point but on a different vehicle. I bought a set for my GX. They just arrived at Costco and will get them mounted later this week.

The Xice 3 is the newer version. They’re pretty close to Blizzak in performance. The main advantage IMO is the Michelin’s wear better.

The Xice 3 is the newer version. They’re pretty close to Blizzak in performance. The main advantage IMO is the Michelin’s wear better.
Just find that the michelins do not look as aggressive as the Blizzaks.

176ce58b39a2a519e0d192fba784c592.jpg

Look good to me

Many people told me that the Blizzaks do not have amazing treadwear compared to the x ice

I have found that they wear about the same as any other winter tire out there. The difference in the blizzaks is that they have a special compound on the outer 55% of tread depth for snow and ice. Once that 55% is worn off they are really no different then an all season tire. Typically you will see about 4-6 seasons out of a blizzak tire before the winter tread is mostly worn off. For that reason many people prefer IceX's or Hakkapilitta R2 suv's. I do not recall if either of those two tires have different compound at different depths. I am about to go on to my 3rd season with blizzaks WS80's and have noticed very limited treadwear on them. New tread depth for the WS80 is 12/32nds and I have 10/32nds on them right now after two seasons, driving about 6-8k miles on them per season. They have been very good tires so far in every condition I have driven them in.

I have found that they wear about the same as any other winter tire out there. The difference in the blizzaks is that they have a special compound on the outer 55% of tread depth for snow and ice. Once that 55% is worn off they are really no different then an all season tire. Typically you will see about 4-6 seasons out of a blizzak tire before the winter tread is mostly worn off. For that reason many people prefer IceX's or Hakkapilitta R2 suv's. I do not recall if either of those two tires have different compound at different depths. I am about to go on to my 3rd season with blizzaks WS80's and have noticed very limited treadwear on them. New tread depth for the WS80 is 12/32nds and I have 10/32nds on them right now after two seasons, driving about 6-8k miles on them per season. They have been very good tires so far in every condition I have driven them in.
Well im sure they are both great tires

X ice are great all around winter tires, I had them on my last three vehicles, they are quiet and smooth running, grip good on ice and pulled me through deep snow with confidence, I have also used blizzaks, they are a great winter tire as well, maybe a little more noise and I think may wear a little faster. I prefer the x ice over them but that's just my preference. I will be trying the Yokohama ice guards this year, they seem to look really good , little deeper tread then the other two winter tires. Service manager highly recommends them for deeper snow areas and says they are great on icey roads.

I’m actually surprised by how quiet the Xice are. Might partly be the sound isolation on the ‘17 CX-5 but I don’t notice more tire noise vs the OE Toyo A36.

X ice are great all around winter tires, I had them on my last three vehicles, they are quiet and smooth running, grip good on ice and pulled me through deep snow with confidence, I have also used blizzaks, they are a great winter tire as well, maybe a little more noise and I think may wear a little faster. I prefer the x ice over them but that's just my preference. I will be trying the Yokohama ice guards this year, they seem to look really good , little deeper tread then the other two winter tires. Service manager highly recommends them for deeper snow areas and says they are great on icey roads.

The iceguards are an excellent winter tire. I recommend the IG52C in particular, they are very good in slush. Quite and smooth for a winter tire, outstanding treadwear and they are good in the rain as well. Very happy with them.

Anybody hear anything about the new General Altimax Arctic 12? The reviews out there are sketchy at best so far.

Decided to go with the Contis...really quiet tire, just a tad louder than the stock tires.

attachment.php
IMG_4160.JPG
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4159.JPG
    IMG_4159.JPG
    431.4 KB · Views: 546
Barely in time for the wife's morning commute....

Just beat a Friday or first season-opener winter storm north of Toronto by getting the 225/65R17 Blizzak DM-V2 set on the day before.

1g5X753h.jpg

Latest posts

Back