Winter Tire Set

One reason I like dealing with tire rack. Very straightforward. Too bad they don’t sell Nokian. The Xice3 are very close though.

As soon as they get their damn pricing straight. Called them this morning and it was oh, that didnt include taxes and tire disposal fees. Pisses me off when you see one price online and then they say something else. I fired an email off to their customer service center. Looks like Ill be haggling.

But in fairness to Jack Williams Tire, the online ad does state "plus taxes and fees" which are probably carved in stone by the state of PA and there's nothing that they can do about it.

The ad shows four tires' installed price of $539.60 which includes their $19.95 per tire install package and also deducts the $50 instant rebate and the $50 specific credit card use rebate. Not having that card does drive the cost up a bit. For the $19.95 you get some after sales service though:

Copy and paste:
* Our Out-the-Door with Savings tire installation package includes mounting, lifetime balancing, rubber valve stems, scrap tire disposal, lifetime tire pressure monitoring system reset, lifetime rotations, lifetime alignment checks, lifetime flat tire repairs, and hand torque of your wheels.
At $19.95 per tire, this is the best value in the industry because none of our competitors can match our level of value, service, and protection. (We dont price match other installation packages.)

But in fairness to Jack Williams Tire, the online ad does state "plus taxes and fees" which are probably carved in stone by the state of PA and there's nothing that they can do about it.

The ad shows four tires' installed price of $539.60 which includes their $19.95 per tire install package and also deducts the $50 instant rebate and the $50 specific credit card use rebate. Not having that card does drive the cost up a bit. For the $19.95 you get some after sales service though:

Copy and paste:
* Our Out-the-Door with Savings tire installation package includes mounting, lifetime balancing, rubber valve stems, scrap tire disposal, lifetime tire pressure monitoring system reset, lifetime rotations, lifetime alignment checks, lifetime flat tire repairs, and hand torque of your wheels.
At $19.95 per tire, this is the best value in the industry because none of our competitors can match our level of value, service, and protection. (We don’t price match other installation packages.)
Yeah, but that word "installed" is the topper. Understood what you're saying, but won't be using most of that, which happens to be what a lot of discount tire places offer around here anyway. I've been going there 20 years and their "installed" price always included everything. It could be I got a hold of someone who didn't really understand the ad because it is new. Installed to me means everything included. It's still not a bad price even on top of that...

...so looks like the price includes having to open a credit card account to get $50 off, was told credit card probably has an interest rate in the high 20 percent, and tax and fees are extra. Without the credit card total price is $630. On the flip side, the Generals I was looking at came down to $552 total, not including the $50 rebate from General. Hello, Generals....

Last edited:
Yeah, but that word "installed" is the topper. Understood what you're saying, but won't be using most of that, which happens to be what a lot of discount tire places offer around here anyway. I've been going there 20 years and their "installed" price always included everything. It could be I got a hold of someone who didn't really understand the ad because it is new. Installed to me means everything included. It's still not a bad price even on top of that...

...so looks like the price includes having to open a credit card account to get $50 off, was told credit card probably has an interest rate in the high 20 percent, and tax and fees are extra. Without the credit card total price is $630. On the flip side, the Generals I was looking at came down to $552 total, not including the $50 rebate from General. Hello, Generals....

Too bad you aren't close to Maine. I've got a set of the General Altimax Artics with studs mounted on black steel wheels sitting in my spare room.... all lonely with no where to go. I've dropped the price down to $400 and still haven't gotten one bite. About 10k on the tires, but they look brand new.

Of course... I do anticipate they'll garner some attention once the snow starts to fly....

...It's still not a bad price even on top of that...

What about taking the print out of the discounted Jack Williams Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV deal to a local competitor like STS/Mavis and state that you would get the credit card in question to get all the rebates if you were to go with Jack Williams, but you want to see if the competitor wants to win your business by doing even better on an out-the-door all-in price? (Hopefully with no credit card application involved).

Look for competing places that carry Nokian here: https://www.nokiantires.com/where-to-buy/dealer-locator/

EDIT: I also just found this enjoyable read/test from a respected auto site https://jalopnik.com/flat-out-at-white-hell-the-northernmost-car-testing-ce-1690321231

Last edited:
What about taking the print out of the discounted Jack Williams Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV deal to a local competitor like STS/Mavis and state that you would get the credit card in question to get all the rebates if you were to go with Jack Williams, but you want to see if the competitor wants to win your business by doing even better on an out-the-door all-in price? (Hopefully with no credit card application involved).

Look for competing places that carry Nokian here: https://www.nokiantires.com/where-to-buy/dealer-locator/

EDIT: I also just found this enjoyable read/test from a respected auto site https://jalopnik.com/flat-out-at-white-hell-the-northernmost-car-testing-ce-1690321231
Hey! Great idea. They are in stiff competition with each other and are both about a quarter mile from me.

I'll ask here since I inadvertently touched off a passive-aggressive match in my other thread without getting the answer:

Would 17" rims from a 2010 Mazda3/6 be appropriate for winters on our cx5? The seller lists the rims as being 17" x 7" and 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. Offset is 55.

Thanks!

I'll ask here since I inadvertently touched off a passive-aggressive match in my other thread without getting the answer:

Would 17" rims from a 2010 Mazda3/6 be appropriate for winters on our cx5? The seller lists the rims as being 17" x 7" and 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. Offset is 55.

Thanks!

They will work fine. The only difference I see is the offset of 55 compared to the 17's OE offset of 45. So your winter wheels will be "tucked in" about 0.4".

Thanks!

Not sure what year or trim your CX-5 is, but I think you might be OK based on the fact that at mazda.ca my M003 wheel (label pic below) shows up as an accessory purchase for both 2010 Mazda 6 and 3 as well as my 2016.5 CX-5 for which I bought the wheels.

The offset is different by 5 mm, the rest looks the same.

unWKObuh.jpg

I got the Michelin Xice 3. Probably putting them on this weekend or next.

I was gonna get Xice3 for my GX but not available in size so went with the 2s. Some complaints on the 3s being harsh riding but who knows. I have no regrets with the DM-V2 Blizzaks on my CX-5... they were awesome last winter.

They will work fine. The only difference I see is the offset of 55 compared to the 17's OE offset of 45. So your winter wheels will be "tucked in" about 0.4".

Thanks - I assume, then, that the OEM size of tire (225/65/17) are ok to run on those rims? As it'll be tucked it, I was just concerned about potential rubbing.

Not sure what year or trim your CX-5 is, but I think you might be OK based on the fact that at mazda.ca my M003 wheel (label pic below) shows up as an accessory purchase for both 2010 Mazda 6 and 3 as well as my 2016.5 CX-5 for which I bought the wheels. The offset is different by 5 mm, the rest looks the same.

'17 GT. Still looking around for OEM rims to avoid steelies :)

Nice price! I got to use my Swedish and poke around a bit on that website. Are they the most competitive tire seller in Sweden?

Do you have any links to those recent Scandinavian tests?

W01SKCzh.jpg
They are one of the cheaper sites. The latest test for 2017 were done by aftonbladet, teknikensvvrld and vi bilgare all different magazines. You can google them. Here is my with the said tyres.

Last edited:
...The latest test for 2017 were done by aftonbladet, teknikensvvrld and vi bilgare all different magazines. You can google them...

Thanks, I have been Googling these and some seem to be paid access or by subscriber premium content.

If I was only in the lowlands of Western Washington where we might have a few snowfalls a winter I probably wouldn't bother either... I'm in the snow and ice a lot in winter and for me it is more about traction in the corners and braking improvements. It can get really crazy in the mountain passes around here at times. I am a new arrival at using winter tires at all so I do realize one can do well with all-seasons a well if you are careful.

Thanks, I have been Googling these and some seem to be paid access or by subscriber premium content.

Quite right. They are unfortunately paid sites but I have managed to read some other sites that mention about their results (in swedish ofcourse). I tried posting the picture of my car with the tyres but did not succeed. I'll give it a new try later.

ok here is a tyre seller giving a summary of the tests (what ever that is since the test results vary between the magazine testing them) and it is always the nokian, continental and the good year that are on the top.

https://www.bythjul.com/dacktest?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5Gz_LqW1wIVW9wZCh1NDgYcEAAYAiAAEgI3afD_BwE

here is yet another site with tests for different years.
http://www.bast-i-test.se/tester_pa_basta/vinterdack-dubbfria-odubbade.html

yet another site looking at aftonbladets studded and friction tyre test. continental is the vinner in the friction tyre.
http://billigavinterdack.se/vinterdack-bast-test-2017/

Last edited:
I picked up a set of 17 inch Continental WinterContact Si's on steel wheels for my 2017 GT, which originally came with 19" wheels. They will be installed next week.

I like the idea of alloys, but I know that I won't be able to keep them squeeky clean in the winter.

I picked up a set of 17 inch Continental WinterContact Si's on steel wheels for my 2017 GT, which originally came with 19" wheels. They will be installed next week.

I like the idea of alloys, but I know that I won't be able to keep them squeeky clean in the winter.

The problem with steel rims is that they tend to rust (with all that salt on the road) and look even worse after few years. The price difference between the steel rims and cheaper aluminium rims are almost negligible here in Sweden and that makes the choice towards aluminium rims all the more easier.

Getting colder out there...

...I have no regrets with the DM-V2 Blizzaks on my CX-5... they were awesome last winter.

Looking forward to slapping mine on in two or three weeks, Toronto weather starting to change.

In the meantime, my brother cut me some vinyl while messing around at his work...

46qgnPUl.jpg

Back