Winter Tire Set

Order Placed

Ordered my set of four from Costco.ca a few days ago and they are now status "Order Shipped" to my local Costco. Just waiting for notification to come up there with my four boxed 17" M003 wheels.

Seventy dollars off Costco promotion which was deducted pre-13% HSTax. Bridgestone 225/65R17 Blizzak DM-V2 Costco item #455614. The nice thing is that I was able to use my 6% cash back Visa card by ordering on-line as opposed to in-store where they only take MasterCard. Thanks to the counter guy for that tip.

dmv2.jpg

for your winter set, you want more tire and less rim, so 17-18" rims are ideal. I would go for an 8" rim with 235 all around (only square setup for winter rims)

and for Mazda's I recommend looking into yokohama iceguard winter tires. I have the IG52C on my RWD BMW and it is an excellent all-around winter tire.

The narrower winter tire (less rubber by your definition) the better since the ground pressure increases and you get good grip on the snow and ice. Remember the old school formula "pressure is equal to force divided by contact area".

The narrower winter tire (less rubber by your definition) the better since the ground pressure increases and you get good grip on the snow and ice. Remember the old school formula "pressure is equal to force divided by contact area".

Correct, but it doesnt hurt to go slightly wider. 235 width will only increase grip, not deteriorate it.

I just ordered mine. 225 60 R18 Michelin Xice 3 on 18x7.5 wheels with a 45 mm offset.
You have a 2017 CX-5, how did you handle the TPMS tire pressure sensor situation? If you have aftermarket sensors installed, please report back if they work with Mazda's TPMS system.

Tire Rack installed sensors that *should* be compatible. I'll report back once I put them on if not. Visually they look the same as what's on the car so may be OE.

All set for late November...

Hauled home from Costco and stashed. Blizzak DM-V2 225/65R17 102S (015-692). (canada)

rd8adYT.jpg

Qtvu09h.jpg

Good choice, I was looking at these myself for this winter, but might consider these instead. They seem to be giving the Blizzaks a run for their money.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...reModel=WinterContact+SI&partnum=265TR7WCSIXL

Nice!! They work awesome. I picked up a slightly used DM-V2 set last winter for my CX-5. Far nicer rims on yours :) I just have black steelies. There was steal of a deal for OEM rims in my local CL a few weeks back but my CX winter rims are 16" and CL rims were 17". Gonna pick up a set of winters for my GX this winter.... I already have an extra set of pristine OEM rims to mount on that vehicle.

Thanks! I kind of settled for the Blizzak DM-V2, what I really wanted was the Nokian Hak R2 SUV. Still, the DM-V2 should be top notch too.

But for my '12 GTI I am replacing six seasons' old Gislaved Nord*Frost 5 with a new set of Nokian Hak R2 in 205/55R16 in a week or so once the instant rebate starts and fresh dated ones arrive at my dealer. 2nd choice for the GTI would have been Blizzak WS80.

wlSquGBh.jpg

I went for these continental viking conti 6 friction tyres for ice and snow. It has (along with Nokian HKP R2 and Good year ultragrip ice) been winning tests in Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish winter tyre tests.

https://www.dackvaruhuset.se/continental-viking-contact-6-22565-17-102t?ref_lp=prisjakt

Nice price! I got to use my Swedish and poke around a bit on that website. Are they the most competitive tire seller in Sweden?

Do you have any links to those recent Scandinavian tests?

W01SKCzh.jpg

No doubt the Nokians are top tier... I don't think the Blizzaks will disappoint.
So, somebody tell me about these Nokians, just saw them on sale at my local tire dealer. Better than Blizzaks?
attachment.php

nokians.jpg

Last edited:
So, somebody tell me about these Nokians, just saw them on sale at my local tire dealer. Better than Blizzaks?

View attachment 217654

I'd be all over those Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV's at that price. Here in Canada, west of Quebec, the main dealer of Nokian now sells them for what works out to close to US$160.

In Ontario, we also have to pay a taxable tax (Tire Stewardship Fee) of $3.30 per tire, and then it all gets taxed at 13.0%.

dHesf9oh.jpg

I'd be all over those Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV's at that price. Here in Canada, west of Quebec, the main dealer of Nokian now sells them for what works out to close to US$160.

In Ontario, we also have to pay a taxable tax (Tire Stewardship Fee) of $3.30 per tire, and then it all gets taxed at 13.0%.
Do you consider them better than Blizzaks? I couldn't find tire ratings for this on Tire Rack. I figured you Canadians know what's good up there.

Do you consider them better than Blizzaks? I couldn't find tire ratings for this on Tire Rack. I figured you Canadians know what's good up there.

Yes, I would take the R2 SUV over the Blizzak DM-V2 which I bought at Costco for financial reasons. (However for the GTI, I did just splurge for the car version Hakkapeliitta R2 though.)

Here is some reading and a video:

Yes, I would take the R2 SUV over the Blizzak DM-V2 which I bought at Costco for financial reasons. (However for the GTI, I did just splurge for the car version Hakkapeliitta R2 though.)

Here is some reading and a video:

Thanks. Really appreciate it. Impressive read!

Last edited:
Madar- I'd jump on those Nokian's, especially at that price!
As soon as they get their damn pricing straight. Called them this morning and it was “oh, that didn’t include taxes and tire disposal fees”. Pisses me off when you see one price online and then they say something else. I fired an email off to their customer service center. Looks like I’ll be haggling.

As soon as they get their damn pricing straight. Called them this morning and it was oh, that didnt include taxes and tire disposal fees. Pisses me off when you see one price online and then they say something else. I fired an email off to their customer service center. Looks like Ill be haggling.

I hear ya, and I find that stuff deceitful. Similar to dealers who list a price on autotrader, then when you read the fine print you realize that the advertised price only exists because it involves a down payment of XXX $.

I simply move on when I see that stuff being done.

Back