Winter Tire Set

My CX-5 came with the 19" Toyo's but when I was looking for winter tires my Mazda dealer gave me a great deal on a set of 17" alloy rims made for the discontinued CX-7.

I have run Michelins X-ice in the past and decided to go with the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80's on my CXS-5. A great choice!!!

I would appreciate getting your feedback in the winter with the xice 2. I went with the 3 at tire size 215/65/17. Michelin claims of improvements with the 3 but I wish it came in 225/65/17.

they rock!! so much i'm putting them on my new honda as well. superior winter tire

Anyone have any experience or advice with Pirelli Ice Zero FR rubber in the winter?

While out pricing Mazda steelies for later winter tire shopping for our new 2016.5 CX-5 FWD, a Mazda dealer offered me a pretty decent price on a package of 17" Mazda M003 wheels and these Pirellis.

Tire%20Stack_zpsvhht7in3.jpg

Tire%20Label_zpsoqqxftda.jpg

Simulation%20wheels_zpsmn2ei1c1.jpg

Last edited:
Pirelli has always had good winter tires. If you are getting a good deal, go with it.

Funny, if you go to Tire Rack they say this tire isn't available in that size, but there's a picture right here plain as day in that size! Looks good, lots of siping.

Anyone have any experience or advice with Pirelli Ice Zero FR rubber in the winter?

While out pricing Mazda steelies for later winter tire shopping for our new 2016.5 CX-5 FWD, a Mazda dealer offered me a pretty decent price on a package of 17" Mazda M003 wheels and these Pirellis.

Tire%20Stack_zpsvhht7in3.jpg
Tire%20Label_zpsoqqxftda.jpg
Simulation%20wheels_zpsmn2ei1c1.jpg
Those rims are nice!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks cx-500, madar and T.Winnick.

I ended up getting another Mazda dealer to order me in just the four boxed 17" Hyper Silver M003 wheels for an outstanding price, having used the proposed package price from the other dealer as leverage.

Now I can sit back and wait for the fall rebate promotions to come around on the winter tires and do some more research on the many choices. The Pirellis are maybe still on the contender list along with the WS80 Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakka R2 SUVs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Nokian_Hakkapeliitta_R2_SUV.jpg
    Nokian_Hakkapeliitta_R2_SUV.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,253
  • ws80crop.jpg
    ws80crop.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 1,267
Last edited:
I am most likely going with Michelin X-Ice 3. Possibly Hakka's but I think the Michelins will wear better.

Yea I'm planning to buy a wheel tire package so I can swap myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I'm planning to buy a wheel tire package so I can swap myself.
Although you don't see direct-read tire pressure in your instrument cluster, remember your 2017 CX-5 now uses dedicated pressure sensor with valve stems for your TPMS system. You need to get 4 OEM pressure sensors, which could be expensive and may need some sort of reprogramming to recognize new sensors, when you get extra set of wheels with winter tires.

Yup, Tire Rack will install senors with the package. $56 per wheel IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow Air Leaks with Winter Tires on Aluminum wheels.

With Aluminum wheels, I find that brand new, they're good for about 2 - 3 years before slow leaks develop. This starts because the salt water starts to react with the aluminum at the bead where the tire is seated.

To remedy, you need to take the tire off and clean down the bead area with a wire wheel brush on the wheel but this then opens it up for further corrosion as the aluminum is now exposed. Even if they put that black tar like sealant, the following year, you'll be back to slow leaks.

I've found the best way to prevent this is to get the wheels powder coated. Stops the slow leaks and the wheels don't start to tarnish with the harsh salt/sand/brine used to melt snow on the roads.

...Now I can sit back and wait for the fall rebate promotions to come around on the winter tires and do some more research on the many choices. The Pirellis are maybe still on the contender list along with the WS80 Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakka R2 SUVs...

Now being led towards instead pulling the trigger on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. May do this very soon during the current Bridgestone $70 rebate.

for your winter set, you want more tire and less rim, so 17-18" rims are ideal. I would go for an 8" rim with 235 all around (only square setup for winter rims)

and for Mazda's I recommend looking into yokohama iceguard winter tires. I have the IG52C on my RWD BMW and it is an excellent all-around winter tire.

for your winter set, you want more tire and less rim, so 17-18" rims are ideal. I would go for an 8" rim with 235 all around (only square setup for winter rims)

and for Mazda's I recommend looking into yokohama iceguard winter tires. I have the IG52C on my RWD BMW and it is an excellent all-around winter tire.

I'm curious, since many tire sites suggest the same or a slightly narrower tire for a winter setup, why do you suggest a 1" wider wheel and a 0.4 " wider tire?

I'm curious, since many tire sites suggest the same or a slightly narrower tire for a winter setup, why do you suggest a 1" wider wheel and a 0.4 " wider tire?

The factory specs for the CX-5 is a 225 tire on a 7 inch rim. The tire fits fine, but it is a little bit too wide for the tire which creates a balloon effect. Fine for most drivers, but the tire doesnt fit perfectly for tight, quick corners at low speed.

A 225 tire is the absolute widest you want to put on a 7 rim, and the same story for 245 and 8. This is why I suggested the wider rim and slightly wider tire.

It is correct that your winter setup shouldnt be too wide of a tire, but with that being said a 235 or 245 size is definetely not too wide for winter use. My friend had 245 Yokohama winter tires while I had 225 width and I didnt notice any negative handling attributes through snow with the wider tires. They just gripped better and thats all.

225 is fine, but I wouldnt go any thinner then that for your winter set. Id say somewhere around 225/235 isnt too thick for winter use but will provide better traction in poor weather.

If you are a conservative driver, no need to go thicker then OEM unless you just want the added traction and security.

Back