Amp install on 2016 GT with Bose.

Will do. By next month I should have the CX5 in my driveway. Probably going to start with deadening doors for sure. But I'll start a thread with my process once it all gets going. And yes new ideas are great. Very happy I found this thread.

I am planning to install a 10" Pioneer shallow subwoofer + Class-D amp GM-D 8601. In the amp's specifications, the amp accepts "Speaker Level Input" maximum of 16v/12 kOhm.

Can I tap the front speaker outputs directly to the amp without using LC2i?

I am planning to install a 10" Pioneer shallow subwoofer + Class-D amp GM-D 8601. In the amp's specifications, the amp accepts "Speaker Level Input" maximum of 16v/12 kOhm.

Can I tap the front speaker outputs directly to the amp without using LC2i?
Should be able to. Worst case if the GM-D8601 can't handle it than get an LC2i.

Can't get a clean base signal

So I got around to installing my AMP and HiLo convertor today.

I tapped into the front door speaker wires from the bose amp. Soldered them and taped them up. Ran the speaker wire from the passenger side to the drivers side under the center console.

Laid out the locations of the AMP and AudioControl LC2i hi lo converter. I did not want anything directly behind the floor vent.

Had to remove the battery to gain access to the engine harness grommet. I cut off the nipple from the engine bay side and there is a hole already on the firewall side. Fed 4g wire through and down the drivers side.

All finished and installed. I used the seat bolt as a ground. I tried to make it as clean as possible. The LC2i requires power and ground which i grabbed from the amp and put a 1amp fuse on the power. the LC2i has a remote out option so I ran that to the amp. I cut some slits in the carpet to tuck some of the wires.

This is the view with the front seat all the way forward. The AMP and LC2i controls are accessible, which is why I mounted them that way. should be out of foot kicking range with the seat all the way back

I installed the gain control knob for the LC2i in the useless cubby. Allows easy access to gain control.

I I hooked up my 12" Kenwood speaker just to test it out and damn it sounds good. I did not play with the settings yet or tune the accubass which helps in correcting the factory level that takes bass out as you raise the volume.
Dropped the car off at the stereo shop to have a custom fiberglass box built in the rear drivers side cubby. I have a JL audio 10TW3 that will go in the box. I will post photos when I get it back.

I can't seem to get a nice clean sub sound. I have the LC2I connected to the same speaker wires you did on the Bose amp. I also am using an alpine mrp500 amp and the lc2i is connected to it via the loc. I was wondering how you tuned your amp and lc2i to get a nice sound. Did you leave your Bose front woofers connected ?

I can't seem to get a nice clean sub sound. I have the LC2I connected to the same speaker wires you did on the Bose amp. I also am using an alpine mrp500 amp and the lc2i is connected to it via the loc. I was wondering how you tuned your amp and lc2i to get a nice sound. Did you leave your Bose front woofers connected ?

Bose system has a steep rolloff at 50hz. So to get good bass below 50hz you will need some form of Equalization. You should definitely leave your door speakers connected. IMO the best settings for lc2i in any setup is to turn the threshold down and accubass down as well. Accubass will rarely do any good. Again that's just my opinion about it. Other people may tell you something different. Also what exactly do you mean by nice clean sub sound? Are you just looking for more bass?. Without EQ my suggestion is setting your crossover in the 80-100hz region. And just make sure you set your gain correctly.

Bose system has a steep rolloff at 50hz. So to get good bass below 50hz you will need some form of Equalization. You should definitely leave your door speakers connected. IMO the best settings for lc2i in any setup is to turn the threshold down and accubass down as well. Accubass will rarely do any good. Again that's just my opinion about it. Other people may tell you something different. Also what exactly do you mean by nice clean sub sound? Are you just looking for more bass?. Without EQ my suggestion is setting your crossover in the 80-100hz region. And just make sure you set your gain correctly.

View attachment 2015 CX-5 Freq Resp.pdf

Not really. Measured response of my Blose system with the mic aimed at the right front door and the bass tone control at min.

Well I have to agree and without the bose front speakers I can easily tell that there is a huge lack of mids in my system without them. I had my amp set to 55Hz but I am going to raise it. I have tuned it more and I feel as if I am missing bass notes in certain songs idk if its the bose amp or the LC2I/My Amp. How would i EQ this? would i get an inline EQ?

When you say turn the threshold down is this Clockwise or counter-clockwise? And I will try to turn down accubass and the threshold il play with to find the down direction and let you know.

55HZ?

Dude, the stock BOSE unit in the Mazda6 can play 28-30HZ bass songs. I used this as reference when I was tuning my aftermarket 12 inch ported sub. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5pVLCwLyoM

I accidentally forgot that my aftermarket sub was actually unplugged. To my shock the door woofers were producing bass that low. I have my amp tuned at 36-38HZ to be in line with my aftermarket sub I installed in a polyfilled-box which was tuned at around 36-38Hz.

In short, the door woofers are really my mids now (I now treat the bass adjustment in the BOSE infotainment system as my "mid" adjustment and set it low anywhere from 0 -2). It seems setting it low quiets sound below 60Hz at lot which regulates them to mid freq duty. The aftermarket subwoofer does the heavy work for everything in the 28-80Hz range. I then use Centerpoint to help bring up vocals and mids to keep up with my subwoofer's bass. I'm looking for a warm full rich sound with thick bass. Granted this is in a Mazda6 with an enclosed trunk its still 95% the same system and same BOSE EQ as with the CX-5.

55HZ?

Dude, the stock BOSE unit in the Mazda6 can play 28-30HZ bass songs. I used this as reference when I was tuning my aftermarket 12 inch ported sub. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5pVLCwLyoM

I accidentally forgot that my aftermarket sub was actually unplugged. To my shock the door woofers were producing bass that low. I have my amp tuned at 36-38HZ to be in line with my aftermarket sub I installed in a polyfilled-box which was tuned at around 36-38Hz.

In short, the door woofers are really my mids now (I now treat the bass adjustment in the BOSE infotainment system as my "mid" adjustment and set it low anywhere from 0 -2). It seems setting it low quiets sound below 60Hz at lot which regulates them to mid freq duty. The aftermarket subwoofer does the heavy work for everything in the 28-80Hz range. I then use Centerpoint to help bring up vocals and mids to keep up with my subwoofer's bass. I'm looking for a warm full rich sound with thick bass. Granted this is in a Mazda6 with an enclosed trunk its still 95% the same system and same BOSE EQ as with the CX-5.

Do you use an lc2i? If so what is your thresholds set to? And accubass

View attachment 215810

Not really. Measured response of my Blose system with the mic aimed at the right front door and the bass tone control at min.

No offense, but I'd like to see the actual graph. Not a drawing. What did you use to take the measurement? Was mic in the driver seat at ear level? And the mic shouldn't be pointed at the right door.

55HZ?

Well I can't say the rolloff starts at 55hz exactly, but yes around 55hz. I'm not sure people understand what a crossover does and how it works. Yes you will get audio down to 30hz with the stock system. A 50hz high pass crossover does not cut off audio below 50hz. It gradually rolls off the signal. The rate at which it rolls off depends on the slope that's used. The higher the slope, the steeper the rolloff. You get output at 30hz with the stock system, but not much. 8inch woofers in car doors just isn't going to cut it at those frequencies anyways. You can get pretty good midbass though. You can't tune an amp to any frequency. You can tune a ported box to a certain frequency, but not an amp. I've eq'd the signal from the front doors to be as flat as I could get it down to 25hz. I'm feeding that signal into 2 different amps. Amp 1 is feeding my replacement door speakers and is high passed at 50hz, 12db slope. Mid bass is very strong, and I get descent bass output even with subs off. Amp 2 feeds my 12's and is low passed at 50hz, 12db slope. Bass and treble settings on head unit are at the middle setting (zero), and center point and audio pilot are off, although I have used center point at times with good results but still ended up leaving it off.

Well I have to agree and without the bose front speakers I can easily tell that there is a huge lack of mids in my system without them. I had my amp set to 55Hz but I am going to raise it. I have tuned it more and I feel as if I am missing bass notes in certain songs idk if its the bose amp or the LC2I/My Amp. How would i EQ this? would i get an inline EQ?

When you say turn the threshold down is this Clockwise or counter-clockwise? And I will try to turn down accubass and the threshold il play with to find the down direction and let you know.

Yes you would need an in line eq. I used a graphic eq that you can manually turn knobs on, but depending on your budget, there is much more advanced stuff out there now days. Turn threshold and accubass to the left or counter clockwise. The lc2i is a great line out converter, but accubass can and will add distortion and muddiness to your bass. I've used an lc2i on 3 installs in 3 different cars, accubass never helped. An actual eq that can be adjusted down to 30 or even 20hz is what's needed for bass. Accubass boost 50-150hz region, and you definitely don't need any boost in that region on the cx5 bose system.

Well I can't say the rolloff starts at 55hz exactly, but yes around 55hz. I'm not sure people understand what a crossover does and how it works. Yes you will get audio down to 30hz with the stock system. A 50hz high pass crossover does not cut off audio below 50hz. It gradually rolls off the signal. The rate at which it rolls off depends on the slope that's used. The higher the slope, the steeper the rolloff. You get output at 30hz with the stock system, but not much. 8inch woofers in car doors just isn't going to cut it at those frequencies anyways. You can get pretty good midbass though. You can't tune an amp to any frequency. You can tune a ported box to a certain frequency, but not an amp. I've eq'd the signal from the front doors to be as flat as I could get it down to 25hz. I'm feeding that signal into 2 different amps. Amp 1 is feeding my replacement door speakers and is high passed at 50hz, 12db slope. Mid bass is very strong, and I get descent bass output even with subs off. Amp 2 feeds my 12's and is low passed at 50hz, 12db slope. Bass and treble settings on head unit are at the middle setting (zero), and center point and audio pilot are off, although I have used center point at times with good results but still ended up leaving it off.

Thanks for the correct: you can't tune the amp but merely the ported box. I did make sure the subsonic filter is on :). Very important.

Yes you would need an in line eq. I used a graphic eq that you can manually turn knobs on, but depending on your budget, there is much more advanced stuff out there now days. Turn threshold and accubass to the left or counter clockwise. The lc2i is a great line out converter, but accubass can and will add distortion and muddiness to your bass. I've used an lc2i on 3 installs in 3 different cars, accubass never helped. An actual eq that can be adjusted down to 30 or even 20hz is what's needed for bass. Accubass boost 50-150hz region, and you definitely don't need any boost in that region on the cx5 bose system.

Hey, any idea what in line eq's are good? also i have to agree all accubass is doing is adding distortion. Did you tap into the front woofer lines? or the rear full range speakers?

Back