2013 Touring no-start... First time

snotrod

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
My cx 5 decided not to start this morning. It is push button. The green light that normally comes on indicating it is ready to start (it's red if it doesn't find the fob in the car) doesn't show up (but it's not red either, it's just not there), and the red security light is still flashing. It will cycle through the acc/engine on but will never even attempt to crank. I've tried with both key fobs, and both have a new ish battery in them. I've even tried the emergency start, pressing the start button with the key fob itself, with no luck. The key fobs also unlock/lock the vehicle like normal.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a security system issue?

Weak Battery?

My cx 5 decided not to start this morning. It is push button. The green light that normally comes on indicating it is ready to start (it's red if it doesn't find the fob in the car) doesn't show up (but it's not red either, it's just not there), and the red security light is still flashing. It will cycle through the acc/engine on but will never even attempt to crank. I've tried with both key fobs, and both have a new ish battery in them. I've even tried the emergency start, pressing the start button with the key fob itself, with no luck. The key fobs also unlock/lock the vehicle like normal.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a security system issue?

Could it be a weak main battery...? sometimes weak car batteries can light warning lights but not start the car.. Notice you are in Utah...getting colder I imagine (as in NV) causing more battery issues?

Yup...try a jump start. I see you have a 2013 model, it's battery is probably about 3 years old? That's when I replace mine...

Dude read my above post and confirm.....:)

From manual:

(Automatic transaxle)
The starter will not operate if the shift lever is
not in P or N and the brake pedal is not
depressed sufficiently.

it is in park. I know this for sure because it won't let me shift it out of park to be able to roll it far enough out of my 1 car garage to try to jump start it. thanks for the idea though.

Oh man that sucks. Only other thing I can suggest is to check the fuses. You can also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECU. Good luck.

I suspect the battery is OK because the doors unlock. I would be looking at the brake pedal switch or you need to push harder or something with the park switch or you have a locked steering wheel. Try turn the steering wheel while turning the key. ed

It is a push button start, so there isn't a key to turn. I'll try to get it jump started and if that doesn't work i'm going to have to look into why the car isn't recognizing that the key fob is in the vehicle. like I said in the original post, with a keyless ignition the green light on the dash illuminates when it detects the key, and the brake pedal is depressed. I'm not getting that green light like I should be.

How about this. Close all doors. Arm the alarm with the fob. Then un-arm the alarm. See if that works. I was going to ask if you guys have another Mazda (grabbed wrong key fob) which I've done one time. then again if you can arm the car's alarm its the right fob.

unlocking shift lever

it is in park. I know this for sure because it won't let me shift it out of park to be able to roll it far enough out of my 1 car garage to try to jump start it. thanks for the idea though.

You should be able to unlock the shifter by opening that little latch (next to the shift lever on left )...check your manual for more. See shift lock override.

thanks, I didn't know about the shift lock override.

and i've tried opening/shutting doors, and locking/unlocking in almost every combination haha.

the ideas are great, keep them coming. I really appreciate it.

When you press your foot on the brakes, do your brake lights illuminate?

A bad brake switch would prevent start, but then your ignition button should still cycle through the ON/ACC modes.

I had this incident occur that you are describing on my 2013 CX-5. Basically the car does not recognize the fob. Even pressing the fob to the switch as stated in the owners manual did not work. I had to call the Mazda ROadside assistance. It had to be towed to the dealer, they replaced the FOB battery, and reflashed the computer. This incident occurred immediately after a dealer service that included a computer flash. Somehow the keyfobs got knocked out of the memory registry or left in a programming mode from the ecu reflash, and the Mazda system gives you 2 starts before it then rejects your fob.

Last edited:
Well if the issue IS with the key fob maybe the OP could try using the 2nd key fob.

If the fob battery is dead press the fob against the start button and start it. At that close range the car reads a RFID chip in the fob. No battery needed.

Well if the issue IS with the key fob maybe the OP could try using the 2nd key fob.

According to the OP's first post, that was tried.

If the fob battery is dead press the fob against the start button and start it. At that close range the car reads a RFID chip in the fob. No battery needed.

According to the OP, that was already tried.

Do your brake lights work?

I suspect the battery is OK because the doors unlock.

It is often the case there is enough power left in the battery for minor tasks, but not enough to turn the motor.

It's entirely possible it's something else, but that is one of the first things I would look at.

When you press your foot on the brakes, do your brake lights illuminate?

A bad brake switch would prevent start, but then your ignition button should still cycle through the ON/ACC modes.

I had this incident occur that you are describing on my 2013 CX-5. Basically the car does not recognize the fob. Even pressing the fob to the switch as stated in the owners manual did not work. I had to call the Mazda ROadside assistance. It had to be towed to the dealer, they replaced the FOB battery, and reflashed the computer. This incident occurred immediately after a dealer service that included a computer flash. Somehow the keyfobs got knocked out of the memory registry or left in a programming mode from the ecu reflash, and the Mazda system gives you 2 starts before it then rejects your fob.

Saw the brake light switch thing on a coworker's Ford Explorer. The switch got corroded so it wasn't sending a signal to the ECU which prevented the engine from starting. Good possibility.

Back