Drive Side Rear Suspension

Replaced all 4 struts and springs. Replaced rear sway bar links. When I go over something the rear drive side makes this awful thud. Any help would be appreciated. 2002 Mazda Protege 5 - 210,000 Miles !!!!

They r the ones that come up listed from the parts store. Now if I put my hand in between the tire and the frame part of the wheel well I can barely get my hand in (drive side). passenger side I can easily move my hand in and out.
Rear Drive side visibly sits lowers

Check your strut mount.

I just recieved my parts today in dealing with that. I heard a metal on metal rattle out of my right rear. The strut looked out of whack, so I peeled off the cargo paneling...and looked straight down to the ground. The strut mount was gone. Gone!

I'm at 208,000 miles. Might want to take a peek.

Good news is...I've been wanting to drop it an inch or so...so the new suspension bits will handle that. Cost justification achieved! :)

....and looked straight down to the ground. The strut mount was gone. Gone!

Do you mean like this ??!?!??

Screenshot_2017-10-05-19-25-03.png

did you check to make sure the tops of the springs were rotated correctly when seated into the strut mounts?

right rear clunk is pretty common, there apparently used to be a kit to fix it but don't know if it's around anymore or not. I live on the end of a "REALLY" muddy dirt road and when we get a lot of rain and the bottom is caked in mud, mine will do it from the right rear. id imagine something fills with dirt and it's not happy. but after a while without rain, it pretty much goes away.

i take it as a car with 250k miles, it still rides and drives fine. if it aint broke at this point, i aint spendin money to fix it lol

That was the AXR cluck fix bracket, but that was because thew MSP's bigger rear swaybar tended to bend/break the brackets that hold the swaybar onto the subframe.

No need for those with a P5 on stock sways. :)

That was the AXR cluck fix bracket, ... :)

OK,... So I'm confused ?!!!?!!

Am I supposed to be listening for a clucking sound like a chicken ...

... or as clunking sound like a thud ??!?!?

(I have been drinking)

If my car car starts clucking like a chicken,. I'm gonna deep fry the dam thing.

That was the AXR cluck fix bracket, but that was because thew MSP's bigger rear swaybar tended to bend/break the brackets that hold the swaybar onto the subframe.

No need for those with a P5 on stock sways. :)

my p5 clunks like a sumbitch sometimes. I've been through the whole rear end and don't see ANYTHING out of place, nor can i duplicate it by bouncing up and down on the car. But if I stay out of the big mud holes for a few weeks, it goes away as mysteriously as it came. So i just leave it alone, obviously aint nothin REALLy broke and i'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. If it clunks it just tells me to drive faster over the bumps so theres less time to bottom out in the bottom!

Back