Options for replacing factory struts and springs

Hope you'll take pics of the components during the R/R to record what normal wear-n-tear on the OEM after 145k+ miles looks like.

You won't be able to notice a difference by looking at them, I think we all know what used struts look like

Alright I went ahead and ordered the struts from a different Mazda dealer (CJ Wilson Mazda). Here's what I got and what it cost:

Rear Struts:
Left $183.31 BP7H28900A
Right $183.31 BP7H28700A

Front Struts
Left $104.61 BP7H34900B
Right $104.63 BP7H34700B

Strut mounts (Rockauto)
Moog K80913, K80912 (rears) $52.58
Moog K90723 (fronts) $79.58

Control Arms (Rockauto)
Beck/Arnley 1025074, 1025075 $133.58

Total shipping was about $75, so my total spent to replace my OEM struts, strut mounts, and control arms with good quality parts is $915. It's pretty steep, but it should drive like a brand new MSP. Thanks for all the help here.

Might as well go ahead and get all the rubber spring seats etc. replaced too since you're doing everything else.

Damn.. for that price I'd be getting coils.
You are not comparing apples to apples in terms of quality, you would be getting bottom of the barrel coils for that price, and are getting high quality struts in this case.
Might as well go ahead and get all the rubber spring seats etc. replaced too since you're doing everything else.
I agree, after all these years and miles those rubber bits are going to be in pretty rough shape.

You won't be able to notice a difference by looking at them, I think we all know what used struts look like

True but I'm wondering if the seals have begun to leak and there's oil stains etc after that many miles of use. I'm curious that way.

You are not comparing apples to apples in terms of quality, you would be getting bottom of the barrel coils for that price, and are getting high quality struts in this case.

I agree, after all these years and miles those rubber bits are going to be in pretty rough shape.
The cheapest BCs run about $950, and K sports have come a long way. Bottom of the barrel isn't exactly the correct term. These aren't $400 racelands or ebay specials they are legitimate coilovers with a warranty

The cheapest BCs run about $950, and K sports have come a long way. Bottom of the barrel isn't exactly the correct term. These aren't $400 racelands or ebay specials they are legitimate coilovers with a warranty

The struts alone were only $575. When you add the strut mounts, control arms, and shipping, it jumps to $900+. Sounds like OEM struts are a lot cheaper than decent coilovers to me.

BCs are around $1k, how is that 'a lot' cheaper than spending '+$900' on a new stock strut setup?

BCs are around $1k, how is that 'a lot' cheaper than spending '+$900' on a new stock strut setup?

Because the struts alone were $575. Does this $1k kit also come with control arms and strut mounts? If not, then I saved over $400 by getting OEM struts. Even if it comes with mounts, I still saved $300. I think the factory suspension is fantastic. Why would I spend $300 more to get something different? Again, this is a daily driver car. I could care less about adjustable struts.

Coilovers include strut mounts, obviously not control arms. I am simply pointing out the fact that it makes a whole lot more sense to 'upgrade' for slightly more money than to buy stock parts. I suppose despite the fact this is a car for enthusiasts, you are not an enthusiast.

Coilovers include strut mounts, obviously not control arms. I am simply pointing out the fact that it makes a whole lot more sense to 'upgrade' for slightly more money than to buy stock parts. I suppose despite the fact this is a car for enthusiasts, you are not an enthusiast.
Depends on if you consider coilovers to be an upgrade on a Daily, ride quality matters on public roads.

Also, that's pretty bold to call out someone as not being an enthusiast just because they chose not to spend extra money on a so called 'upgrade'

While I can't speak for the quality of Ksports now, I know they were not even lasting a year on the proteges. So, they can put any warranty they want on it, in my books it is still an inferior product. These Tokicos have lasted more than 12 years and 140k miles on the OPs car. And mine lasted more than 10 years and 100k on my MP3. I did and would again choose the known quality, known reliability, and known longevity of the Tokicos again.

I'm not an enthusiast because I don't want coil overs huh? How many times did I mention that this is my daily driver, reliable car that I want to put another 100k miles on? I do consider myself an enthusiast, but my money goes to my rx7 project/fun car, which will get tokico illuminas soon. I for one think Mazda did a great job with the factory suspension and given that it lasted this long I have no problem spending this money on replacement tokicos and will be confident I won't have to replace them again.

I have no problem with people who choose to modify their protgs. More power to you. But everyone has different priorities for their cars.

Thanks to all who provided input here

I have actually been curious about this same thing. The only thing is, the noise I am hearing is a clunk or actually, multiple clunks. One is due to some worn out sway bar bushings. I don't believe that it is coming from the strut mounts, I just replaced these last year with new rubbers. I also put some AWR adjustable sway bar end links on....could my clunks be from the strut itself, or would this be more of a control arm issue? Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but this seemed partially relevant....

Latest posts

Back