Options for replacing factory struts and springs

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
I'm at 146k miles on my original struts and springs, so it's time to replace them. I really like the factory setup and ride height so I'd like to stick with Tokico blues and the racing beat springs if I can. What are my options for purchasing these? I have heard the rear struts are a different height for the MSPs so they have to be ordered from Mazda (~$200 each), and I haven't been able to find the springs anywhere other than Mazda either (~$140 each). I don't want to spend over $1200 on these parts, but it looks like I might have to.

Anybody know where else I can buy these suspension parts, and what other cheaper options might be out there without sacrificing quality or changing the ride height?

So the rear struts sold by racing beat will be the correct height for the MSP? Just want to make sure before ordering...

Also, if there are high quality aftermarket parts out there that might be cheaper without altering the feel too much, I'm open to it. Thanks for the reply

Finally getting around to ordering these but first...

Can anyone confirm that the rear struts sold by Racing Beat have the correct spring perch height for the Mazdaspeed? The MSPs have a higher spring perch on the strut itself, and Racing Beat told me they didn't know and didn't have a way to tell. It's looking like I might have to get the rears from Mazda directly, which would cost me $198 each instead of $150.

Link to struts sold by Racing Beat: http://www.racingbeat.com/Protege/Shocks/74022.html

I believe racing hart sells the original MSP struts (the ones in the link are not the MSP struts) but honestly they aren't worth the extra cost. It will drop the back end a tad but with a decent drop spring in the front the ride height will be almost perfect for a daily. Much better than the stock 4x4 height

^ Do you mean 'racing beat' vs 'racing hart' dude? The link provided says "Racing Beat worked extensively with Tokico on the development of the shocks that were incorporated into the suspension of both the 2001 Protege MP3 and 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege models" so I'm reading the struts shown will work as the OP says he's still using the stock MSP factory setup.

I got no problem with corrections if I'm wrong.

I'm sure he means racing beat, racing hart doesn't make suspension stuff.

Since no one here has purchased the struts from racing beat and racing beat themselves told me they have not tested the struts on an MSP, I think I will order the rears from Mazda.
Rears will be $198 each, fronts $150 each, and Moog strut mounts about $80 total. $780 is nearly double what this cost on my rx7... Ridiculous

You can do it cheaper, but since you insist on having the stock parts the price is pretty ridiculous. Personally I would never spend that much, you can buy full coilovers for less.

I have always liked the ride from the factory and haven't found aftermarket parts that I'm convinced will have the same quality in the long run and the same type of ride. I don't autocross, and I don't want my car to be any lower (the biggest consideration). I'm also very happy with how well these have held up. They lasted nearly 150k miles so another set will probably outlast the car. This is my daily/cross-country driver car, not an autocross vehicle.

I am ordering the struts from Jim Ellis Mazda, which was $198 each for the rears and $121 each for the fronts, so $638 total. I would have already ordered them but their website is broken. If anyone can recommend aftermarket struts that meet my criteria, I'm all ears.

I have always liked the ride from the factory and haven't found aftermarket parts that I'm convinced will have the same quality in the long run and the same type of ride. I don't autocross, and I don't want my car to be any lower (the biggest consideration). I'm also very happy with how well these have held up. They lasted nearly 150k miles so another set will probably outlast the car. This is my daily/cross-country driver car, not an autocross vehicle.

I am ordering the struts from Jim Ellis Mazda, which was $198 each for the rears and $121 each for the fronts, so $638 total. I would have already ordered them but their website is broken. If anyone can recommend aftermarket struts that meet my criteria, I'm all ears.
No need to replace the springs unless they are damaged. Surface rust is acceptable

If you're wanting exactly the ride height you had from the factory, the OEM MSP struts are the way to go since the spring perches are custom. Off the shelf Racing Beat springs and Tokico struts are different from the OEM supplied Mazda-spec springs and struts.

Honestly, Racing Beat and Mazda did an amazing job with the suspension on the MSP. In stock form it has amazingly neutral handling. It does suck that the OEM parts cost an arm and a leg, but you are definitely getting quality for the price.

There several aftermarket options for struts that are comparable to the Tokicos but the price on them is similar. I don't see the point of spending $700 for stock parts, at least get an upgrade. How do you know the struts are bad? Just replacing due to mileage? If they aren't bouncy and don't leak they are probably fine. Stock height is so ridiculously high in the front I would just get the cheaper replacement Tokico blues and find a pair of front springs to drop it slightly to match the rear.

You don't have to autocross or race your car to have coilovers, you can run them on a stock car. For $800 you can get KSports and they include everything, new struts, springs, mounts, etc. So for ~$20 more than you are planning to spend you can have adjustable ride height and a better handling car, makes perfect sense to me?

Last edited:
But the reliability and quality of ksports are way worse than Tokico, I went with Tokico Blues when I replaced in my MP3. I think it was around $450 for all 4 struts, but this was a couple years back.

To be honest, I am replacing my struts due to mileage and noise. The car makes some weird droning type noises when I come to a stop, and it isn't the brakes or wheel bearings. At this point I think the strut mounts are broken, so I figured I'd just replace everything. Aside from the noise, the car still rides well and the struts still have a good "bounce" to them. Is strut mount failure a common problem? Will the struts make any kind of noise when they fail?

Hope you'll take pics of the components during the R/R to record what normal wear-n-tear on the OEM after 145k+ miles looks like.

No need to replace the springs unless they are damaged. Surface rust is acceptable

If you're wanting exactly the ride height you had from the factory, the OEM MSP struts are the way to go since the spring perches are custom. Off the shelf Racing Beat springs and Tokico struts are different from the OEM supplied Mazda-spec springs and struts.

Honestly, Racing Beat and Mazda did an amazing job with the suspension on the MSP. In stock form it has amazingly neutral handling. It does suck that the OEM parts cost an arm and a leg, but you are definitely getting quality for the price.

So with "off the shelf" Tokico struts, and racing beat springs, will that make the rear end lower or higher than stock? (I haven't taken mine out so I'm unfamiliar with the custom perch)

For $162 more you can have full adjustability of ride height, camber (front and rear), compression and dampening, and spring tension with the Ksports...

Back