question regarding offset / Skyactiv 3 Autocross

stmike1

:
2012 Mazda 3, Skyactiv hatchback, 6MT
Hi, I have a 2012 Skyactiv hatch with the nice looking 16" twist wheels. I want to run autocross again and the stock wheels are pretty light, strong and paid for. I actually switched to a 215/50/16 Kumho Ecsta ASX and I would suggest this move to anyone. The car looks better (less of a donut tire) and it handles considerably better.

I want to run a stock class and don't feel the need to spring for wheels BUT I would like to get rid of the car's hippo-on-rollerskates look... QUESTION: Is there a spacer I could use to get less offset??? If so, what are the negative effects of this???

Any aftermarket wheel I would buy would have less offset. VW guys are all about spacers but I never see spacers for other cars. Please note I am not going for any kind of "stance" look. Functional with a slightly better look is the goal.

THANKS for the input.

Last edited:
You can typically go up to about a 5 mm spacer before your lug stud length becomes an issue. Any bigger, and you're looking at getting longer studs or going with an adapter-type spacer that mounts on your existing studs and has its own set of studs in between. To use this type of spacer, you either still have to replace your studs (though this way you're going shorter) or make sure that your wheel has relief for the studs. It's kind of a lousy solution, either way. The biggest disadvantages (besides the PITA factor) are that you're increasing unsprung weight a bit, and that you can seriously hurt handling by changing the geometry of the suspension travel and the steering linkage.

The biggest reason that VW guys like spacers so much is that their wheels literally bolt on to the hub instead of using studs - there's no headache involved since all they have to do is find longer lug bolts for any spacer thickness.

I'm not familiar with exactly what is allowed in any particular class for autocross, but if it were me, I'd go for a class that allows other-than-stock wheel widths and just go with a wider wheel.

Thanks for the perspective. Will a wheel with less offset also change geometry of travel and steering linkage? I figure the spacer had the same or similar impact as a wheel with less offset, but maybe I'm wrong(?).

To be fair, you wouldn't really see a handling difference unless you started getting into the bigger spacers that you can find. It's not really something that most drivers would notice, either - but to an experienced autocrosser who notices when one tire is off by 2 psi, it can make a big difference.

To answer your question, though - Yes, running a 5 mm spacer with a 50 mm offset wheel will have exactly the same effect as running a 45 mm offset wheel of the same width.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it some thought and either do a 5mm spacer or just be normal and get new wheels.

Back