Intercooler location on skyactiv d?

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Anyone with a sky-d who can tell me where the OEM intercooler is located? All I can find is a Japanese aftermarket direct replacement indicting it's a side mount intercooler. However it only whose the cooler itself if someone could take a picture, even If the angle is bad I'd REALLY appreciate it. Meantime I'll keep searching but it seems to be extra difficult.

managed to find this picture of an aftermarket cooler, but I'm confused as its called SMIC when it's clearly mounted up front.. it looks to large to be anywhere else though, and I think I saw mounting points. Any picture showing any glimpse of the piping coming off either side would be of great help as well.
p1.jpg

Hi There...

It is indeed a front mount intercooler, located in the lower grill.

And as an FYI, I would not even come close to replacing it with an aftermarket unit. My data logging shows that it is quite efficient. It manages to maintain temps between 4-6C above ambient.

Cheers..!! :)

Hi There...

It is indeed a front mount intercooler, located in the lower grill.

And as an FYI, I would not even come close to replacing it with an aftermarket unit. My data logging shows that it is quite efficient. It manages to maintain temps between 4-6C above ambient.

Cheers..!! :)
Thanks. I don't have a diesel, but I'm boosting my 2.5 and wanted to use oem mounting location for my ic. Are you able to see any piping coming off of it? If so I would love a picture. Trying to see where the pipe was routed out of the bumper area.

Odula have a big intercooler kit for the CX-5

http://www.odula.com

Attachments

• img_131008up02.jpg
    img_131008up02.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Thanks for that. Gives me an idea of how they route the pipes and mounting points.

Chris_Top_Her...

The piping is quite complex and convoluted.

Sorry, getting a camera in there that would make any sense is unlikely (off hand). Honestly. Bear in mind the turbo on the diesel is on the back of the motor. So the piping is pretty involved.

Again, I am speaking from memory. It's been a LONG time since I have bothered opening the bonnet.

:)

Back