Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer & hitch

Registered Member

2014 Mazda3

Trailer & hitch

Was looking to get a small trailer to haul things like dimensional lumber and fence posts. Any recommendations that work well with the CX5 towing capacity?

Also, what is a good hitch to get? OEM or aftermarket?

I found this online. It's a CLASS III with a 2" ball from Curt Trailer Hitch for $135:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleid=20168678
    Last edited by littlebear; 10-13-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Curt Class III is what I have.

I am in the same spot at the moment as I have started a project and part of the material are a number of 6"x6"x8' L landscape timbers for a small retaining wall. I sure miss my truck at this moment and would love to get a small utility trailer to make up for it. My wife doesn't want me spending the money on a trailer and she doesn't want to see it sitting in the yard not being used much. I want things :-), but I have to agree with her in my case I wouldn't use it much.

However, the landscape company that I plan to order several tons of crush run and granite dust will also deliver the timbers on the same truck so I will just go that route and it doesn't add to the delivery cost. But I do miss having a truck at times.

I bought a Pro Series 2" hitch cargo carrier yesterday from e-trailer to help get some of the smaller project items home and for when I rent a plate compactor.

Registered Member

CX-5

I have always owned a trailer and never had a pickup truck. I am a avid DIY (I built my house) so I know the value. There are folding trailers and there are very small trailers but if I was buying a utility trailer tomorrow I would buy one of the 4X7 ft mesh floor trailers all the big box stores are selling. They are all steel (no wood) so you can leave it outside. They are light and reasonably well built.

I do make a couple of changes to a trailer. I put a wheeled trailer jack on the tongue. It saves your back and your car bumper. You have more control when you hook up a full trailer, You can crank the hitch up to the right height and with the backup cam back right under it.

If your trailer is left outside as mine is then it will be hard on the wiring. Also I use my trailer around the yard behind a garden tractor. For this reason I have removed the lights and mounted them on a board that clamps to the trailer. When the trailer is stored, the lights and wiring are hanging om my garage wall ready to go.
    Why would a free people elect for themselves 'lawmakers'?

Registered Member

CX5 GT AWD

I installed a Curt Class III trailer hitch on my CX-5. It is for pulling a utility trailer and holding a bicycle rack. The wires for the harness connecting to the trailer light were run behind panels to the underside of the rear pumper and secured with a plastic piece. There is a thread on here with pictures.

I have a Harbor Freight 4x8', foldable utility trailer. It was inexpensive and has paid for itself 10X over. I built 2' tall sides for the trailer using 1x12" pine boards. I have hauled topsoil, dirt, compost, manure, mulch, large and small trees, plants, sod, large tillers, furniture, 4x8' garage cabinets, cabinet tablesaw, etc. with it. IMHO, it is more useful and economical than a truck!

Registered Member

2014 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
    I installed a Curt Class III trailer hitch on my CX-5. It is for pulling a utility trailer and holding a bicycle rack. The wires for the harness connecting to the trailer light were run behind panels to the underside of the rear pumper and secured with a plastic piece. There is a thread on here with pictures.

I have a Harbor Freight 4x8', foldable utility trailer. It was inexpensive and has paid for itself 10X over. I built 2' tall sides for the trailer using 1x12" pine boards. I have hauled topsoil, dirt, compost, manure, mulch, large and small trees, plants, sod, large tillers, furniture, 4x8' garage cabinets, cabinet tablesaw, etc. with it. IMHO, it is more useful and economical than a truck!
    So a 5x8 utility trailer with a steel mesh floor is the best value and design for the CX5 to tow?

What is the weight limit on the CX5 towing?

Tractor Supply has a 5x8 mesh floor trailer for $600 (2,000 GVWR - 400lbs for the trailer with 1,600 lbs payload capacity). It has a 1 7/8" coupler size
    Last edited by littlebear; 10-14-2015 at 03:19 AM.

Registered Member

CX-5

The CX-5 will tow 2000 but you would want brakes for more then 1000. I think your pick is ideal. Just don't load it over1000 or so. By or so, I mean, you can get 1200 or 1500 home from the local big box store at low speed with big following distance. At 1000 or so, you can take the highway.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Contributor

2016 CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

I could fit about 7 2x4x8 pieces in my camry and still close the trunk. This body is a little shorter, but is there no room to fit it in? Or do a tie down on the hatch? Or are you just buying a larger quantity?

Registered Member

CX-5

the CX-5. Will hold 10 ft lengths but the hatch is less then 48 wire. (About 43 wide). That's ok. It isn't what the car is for. That's the job of the trailer.

Another thing I like about using a trailer is when you get home with the load you just park it and unload it when you want.

I will bring a trailer load of mulch and transfer the trailer to the garden tractor and spend a week distributing it around the house. The car stays clean.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I tow this with my CX-5. You can't even tell it is back there.

Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 10-17-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Registered Member

CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    ]
    The blind spot detectors will let you know. (Grin) I need to turn mine off when towing.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fdew View Post
    The blind spot detectors will let you know. (Grin) I need to turn mine off when towing.
    Good point!!! You do have to deactivate. I even have to deactivate BSM at times if I am hauling cargo back on rear hauler.

I'm also going to add these. I was going to do project this weekend but need to mount a new TV to wall today.

I also use this anti-rattle device.
    Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 10-17-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post

That's one nice looking trailer. Where did you get it and what is the brand name? How much was it?
    Last edited by littlebear; 10-17-2015 at 11:34 PM.

2015 Mazda3 GT/2.5/6MT, 2016 Mazda CX5 GT

Utility trailers are very handy. Even when I owned a truck, I preferred the trailer because the load height is much lower.
    Sold the truck when we moved into a townhouse but kept the trailer - no regrets and the cx5 tows it no problem (class 3 hitch)
    My 3 fits perfect under it too lol!!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    It will handle far more than I can tow with CX-5 as it has as 3500 lb axle on it. I usually pick up a "ton" of energy logs every year for my cabin woodstove and it doesn't even squat when I tow it behind my 5.0L Explorer.

The brand is called Olympic. They are located in Tumwater, WA.

I bought mine from a dealer in south Everett, WA in 2012 for right around $1450. It would have been cheaper but I wanted to have an attached full size spare tire and I opted for the swing door versus the ramp. The reason being that fork lift would have had issues putting the one ton energy log pallets in back of trailer if the normal ramp was utilized like this. Aside from the obvious inability for that ramp type to support a couple tons of weight.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    With a little work one could make a decent little hauler out of one of these as well. Trailer itself is $259 right now at HF. Possible to store in garage if you just used as a flatbed. Notice the roller wheels.

Price is with coupon: $259.99 with coupon 99897786

A smaller model for $179 as well.

Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 10-18-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast