Skyactiv Remote Turbo Build

Chris,

If you decide to use a flex pipe again I would suggest getting one with interlock on the inside.

Car-exhaust-flexible-pipe-joints-with-interlock.jpg

I dont have experience with the below flex, but it may be something you might benefit from if you wanted the exhaust to flex up to a certain degree

Stainless+steel+flexible+exhaust+pipe+images+(7).jpg

Just trying to help.

Yea, the space is so small i was having a hard time finding a short enough pipe that could actually flex

From my understanding unsprung weight would include rotating weight regardless if it adds weight in the springs or away from it. I assume the same for flywheels and clutches. But if I'm wrong I'm willing to learn, discontinue calling it unsprung and just rotational mass.

Whether an item rotates or not has nothing to do with whether it's mass is sprung or unsprung. Thus the balance shafts are sprung weight. But I'm glad you say you are willing to learn because that's what surprised me the first time I explained how you were using the term incorrectly (you assumed you were correct and corrected me without bothering to consult another source of information before insisting you knew what you were talking about).

Balance shaft adds weight on to the suspension so I think it is sprung weight as well. What makes me believe that it is unsprung as well is the fact it adds rotational weight similar to driveshaft which is considered unsprung according to the below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

Here's what I don't understand. You've had me explain it to you politely the first time. Then, when you wouldn't believe me, I explained it again (not so politely). Now you have looked it up and found a very clear explanation but are still proposing that because the balance shafts rotate, they must be unsprung weight? (dunno) It makes no sense. The balance shafts are 100% sprung weight, even according to the definition you linked to.

It's ok for me, you, anyone to be wrong or disagree and have an open discussion to learn . Let's discuss like adults instead of insults and assumptions of ones
Knowledge.

It's one thing to have a misunderstanding and a whole different thing to have a misunderstanding but insist you know what you are talking about. And I still don't understand what you don't understand. If the weight is carried 100% by the springs, it's sprung weight. If the weight is carried by the road (doesn't add weight to the springs) it's unsprung weight. If the weight is carried partly by the road and partly by the springs (as is the case with most driveshaft, it has both sprung and unsprung weight (but it has nothing to do with whether it rotates or not). I can't say it any more clearly than that and am baffled why you still believe the balance shafts are unsprung weight.

Mike is right on this one and has tried to educate without being condescending.

I think he's a total turd most of the time, but he's gold here.
It's one thing to bicker about politics and religion, that stuff is emotional tripe, but when someone is saying that 2+2=(something other than 4), facts must be set straight.

Mike:

I’m not sure if you read the first paragraph, but here is the portion of the link I posted that throws me off on the whole Unsprung thing:

Unsprung weight includes the mass of components such as the wheel axles, wheel bearings, wheel hubs, tires, and a portion of the weight of driveshafts, springs, shock absorbers, and suspension links.

Why is driveshaft part of Unsprung weight ? The location of all driveshafts are supported by the springs and are not between the springs and road surface. This part a lone was making me think that any rotational mass that adds resistance to the motor is considered Unsprung weight not just where the weight is located. If not, then that link is wrong and driveshaft should not be in the example.

I never said that BS is not Sprung weight. Also, I didn’t look this up only after posting here and having the discussion with you. I read that before posting here. That is why I was thinking the way I did.

Edit: Just want to add I’m not saying/arguing that I am right in the above. Just explaining why I was thinking the way I was, believing that it was all rotating mass that effects the motor rather than just weight (including rotating) between the suspension and road.

Last edited:
Boys, boys, it's not even important. What's important is this:

I didn't wanna run it for too long because it's a journal bearing and I don't have oil lines on it.

Last edited:
Boys, boys, it's not even important. What's important is this:

I didn't wanna run it for too long because it's a journal bearing and I don't have oil lines on it.

Niice progress Chris! What you're really saying is, "Back at CX-5 Skunk Works, where the real work's being done..."

When you get the oil lines hooked up you can plumb the air outlet so it can be used to inflate rubber boats and maybe even an inflatable water slide for the bikini girls! Don't forget to post pics. (spin)

Un sprung weight is weight that is not supported by the springs.

Wheels are unstrung weight.
The battery is not.
Drive shafts are considered un sprung because one end of them goes to an axle that connects to the wheels and is not supported by springs. If the drive shaft goes to a differential that is hard mounted to the car with short half shafts going tothe wheels then that drive shaft is not un sprung weight. Nothing on or in the engine or transmission is ever un sprung weight.

Lol thats actually a novel idea..some type of attatchment for the boost pipe to air stuff up..

The sound is distorted since the exhaust side was pointing right at the camera

Yea I'm not even gonna get that pipe anymore, I can have the bov VTA, checked with tuner so i'm just gonna use a straight pipe to the filter.

Air intake > turbo intake > charge pipe to Bov here)> MAF >engine > exhaust > turbo inlet >turbo outlet to custom exhsut (most likely no muffler, but hangers to help support the turbo)

Last edited:
wasn't on my list but I ordered a vacuum manifold. I'm trying to find a local source for cheap aluminum 2.5" pipe.. I will need about a 4- 5 foot section.. stainless steel if I have to. I can get a 5 foot silicon hose for ~$33 on ebay but I'm not sure I want to have that much surface area with boosted air going through it when the bov needs to vent... might pop a coupler

Back