Skyactiv Remote Turbo Build

There is no unsprung weight in the balancer assembly.

Can you explain by what you mean? Are you saying that the BS does not cause any resistance on the motor or that I did not explain it correctly and I should have said that the BS adds unsprung weight/resistance on the motor?

I won't be removing the balance shafts. More often than not people are report extra vibrations with little or no tangible gain. Also to reinstall them you have to have sprockets in the correct clock, and the piston TDC and other technical things that just aren't worth it. Plus I have a sport suspension, which most people who report undesirable vibes also have. Not to mention after I install my RMM it would probably be was too much vibrating.

Motor mounts I strongly agree will transfer more vibrations. But I highly doubt springs, coil overs or sway bars will have any affect on what the motor transfers in cabin. Were these claims from MZR owners or cx-5/skyactiv g owners?

If its do-able, have you considered converting and tuning the car to speed density ? So that the MAF is deleted and you use just the MAP and oxygen sensor for normal driving and then just the MAP for Wide open throttle or aggressive accelerations.. If our car (CX-5) does not have Intake air temperature sensor then maybe use the Fuel temp sensor instead (if we have one)...

On the EVO when i converted to Speed Density we did not have intake air temperature sensor in the intercooler piping. Some people customized to install and use an aftermarket one. But I and many others with the Tephra V7 tuned the car to use the Fuel Temp sensor which worked just as good.

Those are from mzr drivers. Our car has an iat integrated with the map sensor.

Pro. Everything is welded up. Vagina band to flex pipe, flex pipe to 2.5" exhaust flange (for oem exhaust). Had to widen one of the holes for it to mate up. Of course when I go to mock it up on the car I realize I don't have the bolts to connect the t3 V-band assembly to the turbo LOL. Off to Home Depot..
nwB3of2.jpg

isRWsu0.jpg

Dsc7FZ8.jpg

Those are some pooy looking welds Chris. You sure that ain't going to leak?

Those are some pooy looking welds Chris. You sure that ain't going to leak?

Well, no light is going through and they way they band and gasket sit on the pipe, it would be difficult for it to leak much anyhow..

Dude, I have a CX-7 K04. You can have it for free, if you pay for shipping. I'm in Fort Worth. You intend to rebuild the eBay junker unit anyway. Rebuild this one. It cane be done cheaply. Oil provisions are there, you can swap out the waste gate actuator to your liking and run spring pressure. It's a better turbo and its better sized.

I disagree with you, but your mind seems made up. I don't disagree you can likely make this work, and reap benefits, even if temporary. Ypu still need to factor in longevity and driveability. But, I think skimping on a custom manifold is a huge oversight, for reasons already stated. Just buy a beater if you don't have one, and piece this together over time and do it the right way, without rushing. It'll be more beneficial to the community and for yourself. Last plea, I promise. Lmao

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Can you take a picture of this k04, inlet side mainly? I may want to buy it later.

Welp, gonna ditch the flex part and use a 30-45 degree pipe there with a vband on one end and flange on the other. It's nowhere near flexible enough for me to get it at the angle I need.

Last edited:
Well, no light is going through and they way they band and gasket sit on the pipe, it would be difficult for it to leak much anyhow..

A proper weld isn't about "light penetration"... It is about joint fusion/penetration. Those welds are comparable to 4 year olds with a tube of tooth paste.

Its fused. Doesn't look nice but im looking for function over form and it's good enough for what's being asked of it. Beside a nice weld doesn't mean good automatically. I'm gonna see if I cant get it to bend to the position I want using hammer handles or something before I fab another joint. That was my first time using a smaw and from what I've gathered it's harder to use than a wire feed.

So you did the welding? Do you weld a lot? You might want to get that inspected by an experienced welder before relying on it.

So you did the welding? Do you weld a lot? You might want to get that inspected by an experienced welder before relying on it.
No that was my first time (smaw). It's a non vital part if a crack appears (at which point I'll let someone else do it). At the most a small exhaust leak would appear but the way it's seated no weld could fall into the stream.

Can you explain by what you mean? Are you saying that the BS does not cause any resistance on the motor or that I did not explain it correctly and I should have said that the BS adds unsprung weight/resistance on the motor?

The twin balance shafts do add inertia to the engine and this will show up on an inertial style dynamometer as a loss of horsepower but this has nothing to do with unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is relevant to suspension action and refers to the components that are between the springs and the road surface (wheels, tires, brakes, wheel hub, etc.). Less unsprung weight can increase tire grip because a lighter assembly can maintain more consistent contact with the road surface and requires less compression damping.

Any opinion on using an oil sandwich plate for supplying pressurized oil to the turbo vs using a t-tap off the oil sensor?

i.e
BWOL-005RD_001.jpg

just got my stuff in he mail to fab a new bracket.. will have it done tomorrow and hopefully a quick test of the turbo
NPQOqKC.jpg

The twin balance shafts do add inertia to the engine and this will show up on an inertial style dynamometer as a loss of horsepower but this has nothing to do with unsprung weight. Unsprung weight is relevant to suspension action and refers to the components that are between the springs and the road surface (wheels, tires, brakes, wheel hub, etc.). Less unsprung weight can increase tire grip because a lighter assembly can maintain more consistent contact with the road surface and requires less compression damping.

Reducing Unsprung weight is reduction of rotating mass such as lighter wheels, drive shaft, rotors etc.. . Reducing Sprung weight is reduction of weight off the car such as removing seats, lighter battery etc..

Balance shaft is rotating mass, much like the driveshaft, wheels and rotors. I would say its both a little sprung and a lot of unsprung like the driveshaft. The BS adds about 17 lbs of weight onto the suspension (springs) and it adds rotating mass/resistance to the motor.

Reducing Unsprung weight is reduction of rotating mass such as lighter wheels, drive shaft, rotors etc.. . Reducing Sprung weight is reduction of weight off the car such as removing seats, lighter battery etc..

Balance shaft is rotating mass, much like the driveshaft, wheels and rotors. I would say its both a little sprung and a lot of unsprung like the driveshaft. The BS adds about 17 lbs of weight onto the suspension (springs) and it adds rotating mass/resistance to the motor.

Well, in that case, you use the term "unsprung weight" completely differently than I do, not to mention every motorsport enthusiast I've ever discussed or corresponded with on this topic in the last 35 years. And there have been a lot.

Also, your usage of the term is completely counter-intuitive to the literal interpretation of the word "unsprung" which clearly denotes weight that is not suspended by the suspension without regard to whether it rotates or not. I would hate to know what else passes as "knowledge" in your circle of motorsport acquaintances. I'm sure it ain't pretty!

Drive shaft is also considered partially unsprung weight. It also puts weight on suspension. From my understanding unsprung weight would include rotating weight regardless if it adds weight in the springs or away from it. I assume the same for flywheels and clutches. But if I'm wrong I'm willing to learn, discontinue calling it unsprung and just rotational mass.

Balance shaft adds weight on to the suspension so I think it is sprung weight as well. What makes me believe that it is unsprung as well is the fact it adds rotational weight similar to driveshaft which is considered unsprung according to the below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

It's ok for me, you, anyone to be wrong or disagree and have an open discussion to learn . Let's discuss like adults instead of insults and assumptions of ones
Knowledge.

Last edited:
Back