HKS Touring Spec-L exhaust

KimGT

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi All, I was hoping there might be some people with a bit more knowledge on exhaust components available for the CX-5.

Does anyone know if the HKS touring spec-L exhaust will fit the American 2.5L CX-5. I looked on the website and it's meant for the 2.2L Diesel cars, but just looking at the construction it looks very similar (dimensional) to the standard gas version. Can anyone confirm? or reasons why this would be a really bad idea? Thanks.

Does anyone know if the HKS touring spec-L exhaust will fit the American 2.5L CX-5. I looked on the website and it's meant for the 2.2L Diesel cars, but just looking at the construction it looks very similar (dimensional) to the standard gas version. Can anyone confirm? or reasons why this would be a really bad idea? Thanks.

It's not clear what you are trying to achieve? Better performance? Unlikely. Higher MPG? Nope. Cheaper cost? With shipping, exchange etc. - likely much more expensive.

What's the point?

From looking at factory and HKS drawings, I'd say it would fit with little to no problems. The hangers seem to be in the same places, the tips would have to have correct dimensions, unless Mazda changed the back bumper cover at some time (doubtful) and the inlet seems to be correct, with a turndown and 2-hole flange. Since Mazda seemed to be really diligent about efficiency for the production of the CX 5, it would make sense that exhaust routing and dimension would remain the same across motor and trim levels. I say, go for it. Unless it's somehow totally messed up, any decent exhaust shop would be able to successfully alter to fit.

hks.jpg

....Does anyone know if the HKS touring spec-L exhaust will fit the American 2.5L CX-5...

Hi All sorry if I wasn't clear, my question was simply about the fitment. Does anyone know if the HKS touring spec-L exhaust fit on the 2.5L standard gas CX-5? I ask because they only list the 2.2L diesel engine on their application list, but the construction seems very similar to the current exhaust (60mm mid pipe, outlet locations, hangers). I'm hoping someone has already tried it and confirm that it does fit or doesn't. No need for performance gains, mpg, cost figures and none expressed.

My overall goal is just to get a more aggressive appearance with the cooler exhaust tips.

It will only work if the diesel exhaust pipe diameter is the same and flange in the same location. But no point in paying almost $1000 to import a diesel exhaust that may sound garbage or be detrimental on your higher flowing gas engine. You can get Racing Beat and Corksport exhausts domestic for < $500. If you want to import there are a couple of jdm gas exhausts including twin ( quad) pipes and a dual mid exhaust. They run about $1000 imported, and may require an aftermarket bumper or cutting out in the case of the mid exhaust.

CX5-SO - Thank you for your thoughts, I think we arrived at the same conclusion and it might be worth the risk.

picture for reference. Installed on a diesel CX-5 with 2.2L Skyactive-D , stock exhaust on diesel and HKS exhaust ready to install.

p1.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

KimGT: Aren't you just a little bit leary that, if ay development at all was put into the HKS product for use on the diesel, that it is made in a way that enhances some aspects of diesel performance which may be totally inappropriate for the petrol version?

Great question: So my understanding is that the CAT converts toxic pollutants in exhaust gas, which mostly consists of nitrogen (N2), water vapor (H2O) , and carbon dioxide (CO2). Since the exhaust is after the CAT there is no harmful emissions, just two things will be altered, noise level and back pressure. The HKS exhaust seems to be more straight through and less restrictive, so I'd imagine there would be a louder exhaust note and lower back pressure, leading to a marginally small (2-3 hp,torque) gain or loss, nothing noticeable.

Can anyone see wrong in my logic?

Another good resource for this is the Dyno chart from Racing Beat. If you look at the chart, you'll see that the Red is the RB exhaust (tuned to the 2.5L engine), Blue is stock exhaust and Green is Open (no exhaust).

http://www.racingbeat.com/manuals/CX5_2.5_SKY_DYNO.pdf

So if you think about this, the tuned exhaust outputs +2hp, +4 torque (that's with exhaust tuning/R&D). Open exhaust has a gain of +1hp, -4 torque, so really with an exhaust similar to the HKS, there should be something in the middle unless its more restrictive than stock, which I'm 100% sure it is not.

Another good resource for this is the Dyno chart from Racing Beat. If you look at the chart, you'll see that the Red is the RB exhaust (tuned to the 2.5L engine), Blue is stock exhaust and Green is Open (no exhaust).

http://www.racingbeat.com/manuals/CX5_2.5_SKY_DYNO.pdf

So if you think about this, the tuned exhaust outputs +2hp, +4 torque (that's with exhaust tuning/R&D). Open exhaust has a gain of +1hp, -4 torque, so really with an exhaust similar to the HKS, there should be something in the middle unless its more restrictive than stock, which I'm 100% sure it is not.
Yea but those mufflers are designed to be use with a turbocharged diesel engine.. no telling how it will affect the performance of your N/A gas engine. Diesel engines have lower velocities and temperatures, and those mufflers may be designed to limit/collect and burn Nox as well. It's possible that that could rob performance from your gas engine (vs a gas designed aftermarket) instead of give you a potential gain. Even if you didn't care for a gain, you surely don't ant a loss I would imagine. From the pictures I'm sure it will bolt right up, you'd definitely be a genie pig though. FWIW, the only thing that's going to give you an actual tangible performance increase on the gas sky as a tune. A less restrictive exhaust/intake will maximize tuning potential. On the OEM tune it will just move the power band around and give you some aesthetic sound.

Yea but those mufflers are designed to be use with a turbocharged diesel engine.. no telling how it will affect the performance of your N/A gas engine. Diesel engines have lower velocities and temperatures, and those mufflers may be designed to limit/collect and burn Nox as well. It's possible that that could rob performance from your gas engine (vs a gas designed aftermarket) instead of give you a potential gain. Even if you didn't care for a gain, you surely don't want a loss I would imagine. From the pictures I'm sure it will bolt right up, you'd definitely be a genie pig though. FWIW, the only thing that's going to give you an actual tangible performance increase on the gas sky as a tune. A less restrictive exhaust/intake will maximize tuning potential. On the OEM tune it will just move the power band around and give you some aesthetic sound.

Chris - You bring up a lot of good points, thank you for your thoughts. let me try to address a few of your points and everyone please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

"Diesel engines have lower velocities and temperatures" - I have to disagree. Diesel engines achieve ignition of the fuel by using highly compressed hot air to ignite the fuel rather than using a spark plug.The air is compressed with a compression ratio typically between 15:1 and 22:1 resulting in ~580 psi, compared to 120-200 psi in the petrol engine. This high compression causes the temperature of the air to rise to 1,022 F

"Mufflers may be designed to limit/collect and burn NOx" - Again, this is not controlled by a muffler, a muffler is simply that, something that muffles sounds. two ways to limit NOx: Diesel exhaust fluid (adblue/blu-tec) into the exhaust stream which then catalytic-ally destroys NOx and Exhaust gas re-circulation, which is done upstream before the muffler.

Gains/Losses at this point is moot. You've already pointed out that tangible gains are from tunes, which makes sense, since it affects the actual combustion process. In this case (Naturally aspirated petrol engine) the exhaust is post combustion and therefore very unlikely to have a major effect, even ill effects are minimal.

I checked with HKS Japan (through Evasive motorsports), and they say it won't work for my car but I'm thinking that its a CYA response in case there are any issues. From a fitment standpoint, I have every reason to believe it will bolt up, the diesel exhaust looks similar, the mid-pipe up turn seems similar, its a 60mm pipe ID, and the hangers look correct. All thats needed is to see if my local HKS distributor will sell me the part, with the expressed warning from HKS that it will not work. I'm sure any exhaust shop would be able to custom fit a new flange or hanger if needed. Will do some more homework and let you guys know the outcome in the next few weeks, it also seems like it will need special order so maybe 3-4 months would be more appropriate as an update time frame

I'd be more concerned with an exhaust for a turbo engine on a naturally aspirated engine sounding horrible and obnoxiously loud. That exhaust appears to only have resonators, which one can get away with it there's a turbo, which itself muffles things somewhat.

Years back, a friend of mine picked up a stock Neon SRT-4 exhaust he got cheaply to put on his non turbo Neon. Like this, it only had 2 resonators, no muffler cans. I didn't hear it, but he said that the results were bad enough for him to take it off and buy an aftermarket cat-back that was designed for his car.

I think I would buy the aggressive tips you want and have a muffler shop weld them on, since that is all you said you are interested in.

Latest posts

Back