2016 CX-5 NHTSA Crash-Test Safety Rating: 3 (out of 5) for Frontal Crash - Passenger

AF_Bob

:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT wTech & I-ActivSense
Does anyone know why the 2016 CX-5 crash test safety ratings went down? I couldn't believe the Front Passenger's safety rating is now a 3 and the overall rating is a 4. I wonder if Mazda is going to do further testing or come up with a fix to make it safer for passenger occupants. Safety was one of the top reasons I purchased the CX-5 and since the 2015 model had a 5 star rating, I really expected the 2016 to have the same rating.
Safety.JPG
http://www.cars.com/mazda/cx-5/2016/safety-ratings/

That may tell you more about the accuracy and repeatability of these tests and ratings than anything about safety of the CX-5. As far as I know, the body structure is the same from 2015 to 2016.

I believe on IIHS site it means for year 2015 it is a top safety pick. I don't think they mean auto model year 2016.

That being said... something is up with front passenger in their tests between '15 and '16.

Like you said ...only 3 stars for front passenger on NHTSA site.

Last edited:
Im also disappointed to be reading this.

After someone slid and tboned me this past winter and caused heavy damage to me, I looked to buy a safe 5 star safety rating vehicle. Not only did cx-5 have a 5 star rating when I was researching for months while I was out at home, but it had the best all around qualities to have the best bottom line in its price class.

To now see that the safety rating of my new vehicle after all that research has now dropped significantly, it definitely discouraging and hurts to read this.

Well. Glad I got a 2015. Seems that black piece of trim above the front grill is a bit beefier than those 2016 buying saps who hated on it thought!

Im also disappointed to be reading this.

After someone slid and tboned me this past winter and caused heavy damage to me, I looked to buy a safe 5 star safety rating vehicle. Not only did cx-5 have a 5 star rating when I was researching for months while I was out at home, but it had the best all around qualities to have the best bottom line in its price class.

To now see that the safety rating of my new vehicle after all that research has now dropped significantly, it definitely discouraging and hurts to read this.

The Front Crash rating for the driver is still 5 stars and most of the other scores are very good. The one 3 rating is for the front passenger. Hopefully, they'll come up with a fix. Based on the chart a few posts above, it appears the Nij number may have been the culprit. Perhaps an air bag change or something not too difficult might improve the rating. I'm not happy since I bought the 16 model for safety reasons, but the model I have has all those safety features which maintains the distance from the car ahead automatically and brakes at higher speeds as well as lower speeds so I'm hoping the chances of hitting a brick wall at 35MPH are extremely low. On my way home from the dealer, I was using cruise control and when someone cut in front of me (literally a few feet in front of me), the car instantly applied the brakes. Although it scared the heck out of me, at least I know that feature works! I believe the car itself is very safe and it appears the only not-so-safe position is the front passenger's seat. I told my wife that whenever she feels unlucky, she can drive (and I'll sit in the back).(nailbyt)

That may tell you more about the accuracy and repeatability of these tests and ratings than anything about safety of the CX-5. As far as I know, the body structure is the same from 2015 to 2016.

The 2014 and 2015 ratings were from a test done with a 2.0L Sport AWD model. (test weight 3333lbs)
The 2016 rating is from a 2.5L Sport AWD test (test weight 3410lbs)

The physically larger and heavier engine could have, in minor ways changed the crash dynamics.

Keep in mind that crash tests are very similar to emissions tests... automakers specifically design their cars to do exceptionally well in these specific tests with the specific dummies. Minor changes in the dynamics can make a seemingly significant difference in the rating. Also, keep in mind that in 2011 the rating system got ridiculously strict. Before 2011 it was too easy to get a 5 star rating, so the NHTSA raised the bar.

Unless your passenger is exactly 4'11" and weighs 108 lbs and sits very very close to the dash, the difference between the 5 star rating of the 2014 2.0L and the 3 star rating of the 2016 2.5L is likely to be negligible.
geynKRV.png

Last edited:
Back