OEM stereo reprogram

.Roger

My wife's 5 stereo died. That said,I just want to replace it with an OEM(used) unit. I have found them in stock at several places but a few vendors mention that it may need "dealer reprogramming". I assume this is some sort of built in anti theft.

Can anyone tell me more about this? Is it just plug and play or will I need a code to unlock it?

According to the workshop manual, The OEM stereo seems to support setting a security code, although the owners manual doesn't mention it...
If the code is set, you need the code to unlock the systems. Easiest thing to do is to ask the seller to remove the code before shipping it.

Usually there is a card with the code on it supplied with the new car at delivery. What the owner does with that card is another story altogether. Some of the better online scrap yards will scrounge and supply you with the code. Ebay sellers is probably hit or miss, and you will have to have the code or the radio won't work. HTH

Get a nice stock OEM looking aftermarket replacement, no issues with the code. :)
I know some radios use serial number of car matched to the desk so no code needed in the same car but if moved need re-programing at dealer, you can call Mazda service and ask.

Back