Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: headlight lens degradation

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2016 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    The benefits of having watchful neighbors plus a dog. Can't beat that for car security . Anyways good luck man. A dealer should be able to resolve the problem or order some new lights to be installed. Did you check the other lights around the car as well for leakage?
    Thanks... all other lights seem to be just fine (aside from the tail lights having some minor surface scratches due to the prep kid/guy at the dealer... grrrr)

I'll just have to wait and see how the dealer reacts when the time comes to bring it in.

2016 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech

So, I stopped by the dealer while out running errands this weekend to look at the headlights on other GTs w/ Tech. Sure enough, they all appear the same, with the little gap around the top center screw just like mine. I'm wondering if its supposed to act as some type of check valve or vent to help moisture to escape? Either way, the salesman showing me the other vehicles definitely thought my lights looked crappy after just 7 months of ownership, and mentioned he was unaware of any other customers experiencing the same thing.

He offered to bring me over to the parts dept, but I declined, mentioning that I'll be back at some point for an oil change, and to have them check out a tailgate rattle.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    So, I stopped by the dealer while out running errands this weekend to look at the headlights on other GTs w/ Tech. Sure enough, they all appear the same, with the little gap around the top center screw just like mine. I'm wondering if its supposed to act as some type of check valve or vent to help moisture to escape? Either way, the salesman showing me the other vehicles definitely thought my lights looked crappy after just 7 months of ownership, and mentioned he was unaware of any other customers experiencing the same thing.

He offered to bring me over to the parts dept, but I declined, mentioning that I'll be back at some point for an oil change, and to have them check out a tailgate rattle.
    Check this thread and see if it helps you out: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ight=headlight

2016 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Check this thread and see if it helps you out: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ight=headlight
    Thanks Paris1. While I have yet to see any cracks on either headlight housing, the interior crud looks similar, and is in similar locations. It has me slightly uneasy about the longevity of these lights... at least for the time being.

Registered Member

2014 cx5

What happened to the pictures Madar posted.I want them to take to the dealer when I take mine in for the same problem.

Registered Member

2014 CX 5 Touring FWD

Quote Originally Posted by xtoolmaker View Post
    What happened to the pictures Madar posted.I want them to take to the dealer when I take mine in for the same problem.
    Got deleted somehow, I'll try and repost them later if you want

Registered Member

Chevy

Man I wish companies would go back to using glass headlights.....
    "I hope life is not a joke, if it is, I don't get it."

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow headlight lens degradation

Quote Originally Posted by silvercoat View Post
    Man I wish companies would go back to using glass headlights.....
    Weight and cost considerations... Yeah, I prefer glass too!

Registered Member

CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    After restoring the lights on my wife's '06 Miata a couple of years ago (and therein removing any semblance of UV coating) I started using this once a month http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-730.../dp/B0051PJWQW on both her car and my CX-5. Seems to help, but there's nothing like keeping a car garaged to ward off this kind of damage.
    +1 on this stuff. I use it on my 05 bmw after I restored the headlights with 3M and they still look like new after 6 months. Now I can really tell it's working because I hit a dear last month and they replaced the drivers headlight with a new one and my restored one looks just as nice.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow headlight lens degradation

Quote Originally Posted by jjp735i View Post
    +1 on this stuff. I use it on my 05 bmw after I restored the headlights with 3M and they still look like new after 6 months. Now I can really tell it's working because I hit a dear last month and they replaced the drivers headlight with a new one and my restored one looks just as nice.
    Headlight lenses with HID on our 2000 BMW 528i have been hold up very well. I have never applied any protection to the headlight lenses of all the cars we have and here are my observation:

1987 VW Vanagon - nothing can beat longevity of glass headlight lenses:

1998 Honda CR-V - after never garaged 18 years and 17,3132 miles, the lenses are as clear as brand new. The plastic lenses look like made of glass:

2000 BMW 528i - lenses are still clear and new, but driver side is leaking water and burning out expensive xenon bulb:

2001.5 VW Passat - the worst among our cars. The lenses degraded and yellowed after 7 years. The picture looks a lot nicer because the raining condition as the lens appears smoother with the wet surface:

These actually make me believe all plastic lenses, made of polycarbonate (PC), polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), or something special on our BMW's (forgot the material name said in the new car brochure), are still different in material quality which affects their longevity. This thread make me think I should apply some protection like others mentioned to prolong the clarity of our CX-5 headlight lenses.

Registered Member

2014 cx5

Yes please repost the pictures so I have proof there are others like mine .

Registered Member

2014 CX 5 Touring FWD

Curious on the topic of headlight dressings other than UV protectors, does anyone use any kind of water/dirt repellent coating on their headlight lenses?

'15 CX-5 AWD, Touring; '11 Golf TDi, bitte halten Sie den Atem

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    I guess the CR-V's high sales volume speaks to just how ambivalent most Americans are to poor driving dynamics.
    +1!!!

One of, if not the most popular SUV in the early '80s was the Ford Explorer. We bought one and it was the worst vehicle we've ever owned. Paraphrasing H. L. Menken: “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”

The actual quote in 1926 was: “No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD

I found a new TSB that may be related to this: http://mazda.oemdtc.com/809/white-mi...016-mazda-cx-5

2016 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    I found a new TSB that may be related to this: http://mazda.oemdtc.com/809/white-mi...016-mazda-cx-5
    Sweet. Thanks for the link. Can't wait to get my headlights swapped out this spring.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast