Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: headlight lens degradation

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    You can trash Honda CR-V as you want but it doesn't change the fact that CR-V has always been the number one seller in compact CUV segment in the US market and currently the top seller among all Honda cars including Accord!
    I guess the CR-V's high sales volume speaks to just how ambivalent most Americans are to poor driving dynamics.

Mazda 6 iTouring 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    You're planning on filtering out 20% of the light produced by your headlights?
    it's a very transparent film that adds a slight tint to the lens itself without altering the light omitted from the headlights. plus I have additional lights to expand on the clarity of the road ahead

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow headlight lens degradation

You can trash Honda CR-V as you want but it doesn't change the fact that CR-V has always been the number one seller in compact CUV segment in the US market and currently the top seller among all Honda cars including Accord! In fact, CR-V is out-selling CX-5 at almost 5 to 1 ratio this year!
    I guess the CR-V's high sales volume speaks to just how ambivalent most Americans are to poor driving dynamics.
    Honda CR-V is popular among not only "most Americans", but also many auto enthusiasts. Motor Trend selected Honda CR-V as 2015 SUV of the Year!

If 2015 Honda CR-V doesn't have a new CVT but offers 6-speed auto, and Xenon or LED headlights are available as an option, I may not be here as a owner of our first Mazda. The outstanding quality and reliability on our '98 Honda CR-V simply just impressed me too much, not to mention still clear and maintenance-free plastic headlight lenses! I miss lighter gray interior color for silver exterior, memory seat, rear AC vents, power liftgate, and a better 328-watt 7-speaker audio system with directional tweeters and subwoofer available on CR-V but not on CX-5!

Mazda 6 iTouring 6MT

if anyone who has this problem is interested, I used these eyelids and it covers up the exact spots where the headlights start to crap out http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-20...udBuMw&vxp=mtr

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Honda CR-V is popular among not only "most Americans", but also many auto enthusiasts. Motor Trend selected Honda CR-V as 2015 SUV of the Year!
    The 2015 CR-V is an entirely different vehicle than the 1998 model we were discussing. The 1998 CR-V drove like a spongy, clapped out vehicle right off the showroom floor.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 cx5

Did you order the eyelids painted or did you paint them yourself?How well did they fit and can you post a picture of them on your car?

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

I'd apply Ventureshield Ultra or similar right over that. It will hide it, and protect.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

It's a family hauler made for soccermoms. They are indeed ambivalent about how it takes a corner. My friend's wife has one, and it's what, 3-4 years old now? With all of 7K miles on it? This class of vehicle is about cheap, safe utility. Not thrills. The CX-5 is literally the only vehicle in this category that even seems to remotely focus on driving dynamics at all, and I think that's just because of Mazda as a company, not the market segment.

Mazda 6 iTouring 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by xtoolmaker View Post
    Did you order the eyelids painted or did you paint them yourself?How well did they fit and can you post a picture of them on your car?
    comes unpainted so you'll have to paint yourself. fit was perfect so no issues there. just took a couple quick pics if you need more just let me know.

Registered Member

2014 cx5

Thanks for the pics.If the dealer wont replace mine [still under warranty] Ill be getting those.I may get them anyway if they have to take the front end all apart to replace them.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

I've only had my CX5 since April, but my LED headlights are already looking pretty crappy. Not only is water and dust getting inside, there appears to be mold or some other crud forming on the clear plastic adjacent to the turn signals. There are also water/dust stains running along the bottom of the lights. When you pop the hood to look at the lights, it appears the center screw on the back of the top of the housing isn't going in all the way into the female threaded part (as if the female bore isn't deep enough). There is about a 1/16" or 3/32" gap where the pieces don't mate flush. This is true for both headlights. All other screws seem to go in fine and there is no gap like in the middle. I haven't had a chance to go back to the dealer to check out the lights on some other GTs w/Tech currently in-stock to see if this is just a one-off, or a more common problem. I love both the look and visibility of the LEDs, but thoroughly unimpressed with the headlamps so far due to this matter.

As an aside, my girlfriend's 2015 CR-V, purchased just a month before mine, has crystal clear headlight housings.... they appear brand new. Both vehicles have had the same washing treatment and schedule too.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    I've only had my CX5 since April, but my LED headlights are already looking pretty crappy. Not only is water and dust getting inside, there appears to be mold or some other crud forming on the clear plastic adjacent to the turn signals. There are also water/dust stains running along the bottom of the lights. When you pop the hood to look at the lights, it appears the center screw on the back of the top of the housing isn't going in all the way into the female threaded part (as if the female bore isn't deep enough). There is about a 1/16" or 3/32" gap where the pieces don't mate flush. This is true for both headlights. All other screws seem to go in fine and there is no gap like in the middle. I haven't had a chance to go back to the dealer to check out the lights on some other GTs w/Tech currently in-stock to see if this is just a one-off, or a more common problem. I love both the look and visibility of the LEDs, but thoroughly unimpressed with the headlamps so far due to this matter.

As an aside, my girlfriend's 2015 CR-V, purchased just a month before mine, has crystal clear headlight housings.... they appear brand new. Both vehicles have had the same washing treatment and schedule too.
    This sounds really weird. Two things I can think of. 1. A manufacturing issue at which should be covered by your bumper to bumper warranty. 2. Someone's trying to steal you headlights and was loosening things up. I know it sounds crazy but headlights housings are usually secure. Water proof actually.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    This sounds really weird. Two things I can think of. 1. A manufacturing issue at which should be covered by your bumper to bumper warranty. 2. Someone's trying to steal you headlights and was loosening things up. I know it sounds crazy but headlights housings are usually secure. Water proof actually.
    I'm definitely leaning towards #1, manufacturing issue. And I'm assuming my bumper to bumper warranty will cover replacements (I will point this out to the dealer when I go in for my first oil change in a few weeks or so). If not, well, then things will get ugly.

#2 is unlikely, mainly because I live out in the sticks, and my 3 dogs go ape-$hit when anyone enters my property. My neighbors (some of whom are elderly and home all day long) would surely have noticed the commotion and let me know of anything unusual while I am away at work. Plus I leave the car locked at all times anyway... mainly because I keep an expensive pair of sunglasses in there just about 24/7.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    I'm definitely leaning towards #1, manufacturing issue. And I'm assuming my bumper to bumper warranty will cover replacements (I will point this out to the dealer when I go in for my first oil change in a few weeks or so). If not, well, then things will get ugly.

#2 is unlikely, mainly because I live out in the sticks, and my 3 dogs go ape-$hit when anyone enters my property. My neighbors (some of whom are elderly and home all day long) would surely have noticed the commotion and let me know of anything unusual while I am away at work. Plus I leave the car locked at all times anyway... mainly because I keep an expensive pair of sunglasses in there just about 24/7.
    The benefits of having watchful neighbors plus a dog. Can't beat that for car security . Anyways good luck man. A dealer should be able to resolve the problem or order some new lights to be installed. Did you check the other lights around the car as well for leakage?

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD

Some of these headlight assemblies have a dust plug in the back for some reason or another. I had an 06 Corolla that was in an accident (deer), and the front headlight assembly had to be replaced. After a month or so I noticed the inside of the headlight getting dirty. Here the person installing the headlight knocked the rear dust plug (maybe some kind of service plug?) off and the inside was exposed to dirt. Maybe there's something like this in the back that's missing. Or maybe the assembly has a crack in it somewhere.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast