Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: headlight lens degradation

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2014 CX 5 Touring FWD

Quote Originally Posted by littlebear View Post
    Preventative maintenance works best. Apply UV waxes to the headlights every few months, takes 5 minutes but will protect and prevent UV damage. Once damaged it requires sanding & polishing the lens with a high speed wheel to repair it.
    yep, good point. I've seen this on other vehicles I've owned but I never get proactive about it when I get something new.

Mazda 6 iTouring 6MT

same issue here, glad to know it's not just me. used the rainX headlight restore which helped clean it up a bit but it's still noticeable. bought 20% light smoke tint to put over, hopefully it will mask it and improve the look of my front end as well

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

I installed headlight protection film on headlight plastic lenses and glass fog lenses back in 2012. Headlights still look like new and shiny when cleaned.

2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L

Me too did the 3M on the heads and fogs. After 1-1/2 years, they both look like new.

On a previous vehicle, I found out the hard way that some cleaners are real hard on the plastic lens. Was taking some glue, sap off the hood with a chemical soaked rag. This wiped the glue residue off real easy and had no affect on the paint. But I laid the rag over the headlight and not thinking about it, and it ate into the plastic real quick.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by redline3104 View Post
    bought 20% light smoke tint to put over, hopefully it will mask it and improve the look of my front end as well
    You're planning on filtering out 20% of the light produced by your headlights?

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    You're planning on filtering out 20% of the light produced by your headlights?
    If these ratings are the same as for window tint, I believe that means ALLOWING ONLY 20% of the light produced pass through. Is that crazy, or what?!

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    If these ratings are the same as for window tint, I believe that means ALLOWING ONLY 20% of the light produced pass through. Is that crazy, or what?!
    Unimaginable! I guess that's one way to personalize your rig!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014->2016 CX-5 AWD Touring, 2006, 1999, 1991 Miatas

Try using Plexus spray-on UV protectant. Works great...

Mazda CX-5 Skylease Tech Pack FWD Crystal White Pearl MY2014

Or polish with a Rotarymachine and use a glasscoating (for ABS) like IGL I Green Lover and they are as new....

(at least available in the Netherlands) Or another glasscoating like Gyeon (USA ?)
    Last edited by FiveCX-5; 10-14-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Grtz. Marcel

CX-5 Skylease Tech Pack FWD Crystal White Pearl K34 with TSW Sochi Black 20 x 8.5 ET 40 Eibach Pro Kit Suspension US Style backlights
    "Shine" is an appearance....

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow headlight lens degradation

I thought these Japanese plastic headlight lenses are supposed to be maintenance-free as our 17+-year-old, 170+K-mile, never-garaged Honda CR-V headlight lenses, which have never been applied any protections, are still clear almost like new!

Registered Member

2014 cx5

My 2014 has the same thing as the picture plus some fine cracks on both just on the upper most part.I live in sunny Orlando but the car is covered most of the time.I am going to take it to the dealer before the warranty is up in March 2016. I only have 16,000 miles on it now.Also there has never been anything on the lights except dew and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I thought these Japanese plastic headlight lenses are supposed to be maintenance-free as our 17+-year-old, 170+K-mile, never-garaged Honda CR-V headlight lenses, which have never been applied any protections, are still clear almost like new!
    They are glass lenses! They are more susceptible to rock breakage but less susceptible to UV damage.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

They are glass lenses! They are more susceptible to rock breakage but less susceptible to UV damage.
    ??? Just checked the headlight lenses on our '98 Honda CR-V, and they are plastic all right! I think I'm old enough to be able to tell the difference between glass and plastic! In fact, I'm very impressed the longevity of all plastic and rubber parts on this Japanese made CR-V. After many years under the Texas sun, nothing aged, cracked, or peeled like other American and German cars we've owned!

In fact, I'm very impressed the longevity of all plastic and rubber parts on this Japanese made CR-V. After many years under the Texas sun, nothing aged, cracked, or peeled like other American and German cars we've owned!
    If I hadn't experienced the terrible driving dynamics of the early generation Honda CR-V's myself, I might wonder why you ever switched brands with such magical luck. But having rented a CR-V in Hawaii once, I could barely wait to return it to the rental agency. It was the most uninspiring vehicle I've ever driven (except for a 1958 garbage truck that was completely clapped out). But the low mileage CR-V gave that POS a real run for it's money in the department of uninspiring!

In fact, I'm very impressed the longevity of all plastic and rubber parts on this Japanese made CR-V. After many years under the Texas sun, nothing aged, cracked, or peeled like other American and German cars we've owned!
    If I hadn't experienced the terrible driving dynamics of the early generation Honda CR-V's myself, I might wonder why you ever switched brands with such magical luck. But having rented a CR-V in Hawaii once, I could barely wait to return it to the rental agency. It was the most uninspiring vehicle I've ever driven (except for a 1958 garbage truck that was completely clapped out). But the low mileage CR-V gave that POS a real run for it's money in the department of uninspiring!
    You can trash Honda CR-V as you want but it doesn't change the fact that CR-V has always been the number one seller in compact CUV segment in the US market and currently the top seller among all Honda cars including Accord! In fact, CR-V is out-selling CX-5 at almost 5 to 1 ratio this year!

Keep in mind back to 1997, the first-generation Honda CR-V was a unique automobile and the first car-based compact CUV available in the US market. There was nothing like it and the few truck-based compact SUVs had no comparison to the CR-V even on performance and handling! Honda CR-V certainly has its solid position in the automobile history!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast