headlight lens degradation

You're planning on filtering out 20% of the light produced by your headlights? (screwy)

If these ratings are the same as for window tint, I believe that means ALLOWING ONLY 20% of the light produced pass through. Is that crazy, or what?!

If these ratings are the same as for window tint, I believe that means ALLOWING ONLY 20% of the light produced pass through. Is that crazy, or what?!

Unimaginable! I guess that's one way to personalize your rig!

Try using Plexus spray-on UV protectant. Works great...

Or polish with a Rotarymachine and use a glasscoating (for ABS) like IGL I Green Lover and they are as new....

(at least available in the Netherlands) Or another glasscoating like Gyeon (USA ?)

Last edited:
I thought these Japanese plastic headlight lenses are supposed to be maintenance-free as our 17+-year-old, 170+K-mile, never-garaged Honda CR-V headlight lenses, which have never been applied any protections, are still clear almost like new! (uhm)

My 2014 has the same thing as the picture plus some fine cracks on both just on the upper most part.I live in sunny Orlando but the car is covered most of the time.I am going to take it to the dealer before the warranty is up in March 2016. I only have 16,000 miles on it now.Also there has never been anything on the lights except dew and rain.

I thought these Japanese plastic headlight lenses are supposed to be maintenance-free as our 17+-year-old, 170+K-mile, never-garaged Honda CR-V headlight lenses, which have never been applied any protections, are still clear almost like new! (uhm)

They are glass lenses! They are more susceptible to rock breakage but less susceptible to UV damage.

They are glass lenses! They are more susceptible to rock breakage but less susceptible to UV damage.
??? Just checked the headlight lenses on our '98 Honda CR-V, and they are plastic all right! I think I'm old enough to be able to tell the difference between glass and plastic! In fact, I'm very impressed the longevity of all plastic and rubber parts on this Japanese made CR-V. After many years under the Texas sun, nothing aged, cracked, or peeled like other American and German cars we've owned!

In fact, I'm very impressed the longevity of all plastic and rubber parts on this Japanese made CR-V. After many years under the Texas sun, nothing aged, cracked, or peeled like other American and German cars we've owned!

If I hadn't experienced the terrible driving dynamics of the early generation Honda CR-V's myself, I might wonder why you ever switched brands with such magical luck. But having rented a CR-V in Hawaii once, I could barely wait to return it to the rental agency. It was the most uninspiring vehicle I've ever driven (except for a 1958 garbage truck that was completely clapped out). But the low mileage CR-V gave that POS a real run for it's money in the department of uninspiring!

In fact, I'm very impressed the longevity of all plastic and rubber parts on this Japanese made CR-V. After many years under the Texas sun, nothing aged, cracked, or peeled like other American and German cars we've owned!
If I hadn't experienced the terrible driving dynamics of the early generation Honda CR-V's myself, I might wonder why you ever switched brands with such magical luck. But having rented a CR-V in Hawaii once, I could barely wait to return it to the rental agency. It was the most uninspiring vehicle I've ever driven (except for a 1958 garbage truck that was completely clapped out). But the low mileage CR-V gave that POS a real run for it's money in the department of uninspiring!
You can trash Honda CR-V as you want but it doesn't change the fact that CR-V has always been the number one seller in compact CUV segment in the US market and currently the top seller among all Honda cars including Accord! In fact, CR-V is out-selling CX-5 at almost 5 to 1 ratio this year!

Keep in mind back to 1997, the first-generation Honda CR-V was a unique automobile and the first car-based compact CUV available in the US market. There was nothing like it and the few truck-based compact SUVs had no comparison to the CR-V even on performance and handling! Honda CR-V certainly has its solid position in the automobile history!

You can trash Honda CR-V as you want but it doesn't change the fact that CR-V has always been the number one seller in compact CUV segment in the US market and currently the top seller among all Honda cars including Accord!

I guess the CR-V's high sales volume speaks to just how ambivalent most Americans are to poor driving dynamics.

You're planning on filtering out 20% of the light produced by your headlights? (screwy)

it's a very transparent film that adds a slight tint to the lens itself without altering the light omitted from the headlights. plus I have additional lights to expand on the clarity of the road ahead

You can trash Honda CR-V as you want but it doesn't change the fact that CR-V has always been the number one seller in compact CUV segment in the US market and currently the top seller among all Honda cars including Accord! In fact, CR-V is out-selling CX-5 at almost 5 to 1 ratio this year!
I guess the CR-V's high sales volume speaks to just how ambivalent most Americans are to poor driving dynamics.
Honda CR-V is popular among not only "most Americans", but also many auto enthusiasts. Motor Trend selected Honda CR-V as 2015 SUV of the Year!

If 2015 Honda CR-V doesn't have a new CVT but offers 6-speed auto, and Xenon or LED headlights are available as an option, I may not be here as a owner of our first Mazda. The outstanding quality and reliability on our '98 Honda CR-V simply just impressed me too much, not to mention still clear and maintenance-free plastic headlight lenses! I miss lighter gray interior color for silver exterior, memory seat, rear AC vents, power liftgate, and a better 328-watt 7-speaker audio system with directional tweeters and subwoofer available on CR-V but not on CX-5!

Honda CR-V is popular among not only "most Americans", but also many auto enthusiasts. Motor Trend selected Honda CR-V as 2015 SUV of the Year!

The 2015 CR-V is an entirely different vehicle than the 1998 model we were discussing. The 1998 CR-V drove like a spongy, clapped out vehicle right off the showroom floor.

Did you order the eyelids painted or did you paint them yourself?How well did they fit and can you post a picture of them on your car?

It's a family hauler made for soccermoms. They are indeed ambivalent about how it takes a corner. My friend's wife has one, and it's what, 3-4 years old now? With all of 7K miles on it? This class of vehicle is about cheap, safe utility. Not thrills. The CX-5 is literally the only vehicle in this category that even seems to remotely focus on driving dynamics at all, and I think that's just because of Mazda as a company, not the market segment.

Did you order the eyelids painted or did you paint them yourself?How well did they fit and can you post a picture of them on your car?

comes unpainted so you'll have to paint yourself. fit was perfect so no issues there. just took a couple quick pics if you need more just let me know.
4gklef.jpg
34rf229.jpg

Thanks for the pics.If the dealer wont replace mine [still under warranty] Ill be getting those.I may get them anyway if they have to take the front end all apart to replace them.

Back