headlight lens degradation

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
anyone notice any coating degradation of their headlight lens yet? IMG_2721.JPGIMG_2720.JPGIMG_2719.JPG

Last edited:
My headlights are still clear like crystals.

Your photos make it apparent that it is a coating that is failing. The only question is, do the OEM headlight lenses come with a coating?

If there is no OEM coating then I would guess someone has applied a synthetic wax and you are seeing the transition zone. It's especially apparent in this photo:

attachment.php

Last edited:
All lenses come with a UV coating to protect against elements. It's supposed to last up to 3 years, or so is my understanding. My car is outside all the time and is never under shade so I guess the sun is taking it's toll. I'm in my 3rd of ownership so it's on par with other vehicles I've owned with these lenses. Only one thing to do, trade it in for a 2016....

Or you could polish the headlights up and apply a uv coating protectant to them.

Or you could polish the headlights up and apply a uv coating protectant to them.

I know, been there, done that, and have plenty of restorer in my basement. i like my idea better, was thinking the deep red or the dark blue...really love those colors.

I like your logic. Out of windshield fluid? Time to get the 2016. (drinks)

I like your logic. Out of windshield fluid? Time to get the 2016. (drinks)
There used to be an older gentleman living across the street from me watching me always fiddling with my cars. Used to tell me that it was time to raise the radiator cap and replace the car.

After restoring the lights on my wife's '06 Miata a couple of years ago (and therein removing any semblance of UV coating) I started using this once a month https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) on both her car and my CX-5. Seems to help, but there's nothing like keeping a car garaged to ward off this kind of damage.

Thanks for the tip. I was at Walmart looking for this but only saw the restorer. Will have to order this online I guess.

Maybe a long shot, but isn't the standard warranty on these cars 3yr-36k miles? Idk about your mileage but maybe it's worth looking into. I wouldn't really call headlight housings a "wear and tear" item so warranty should apply IMO

Maybe a long shot, but isn't the standard warranty on these cars 3yr-36k miles? Idk about your mileage but maybe it's worth looking into. I wouldn't really call headlight housings a "wear and tear" item so warranty should apply IMO

I'm at 41k, the honeymoon is over.

;( worth a shot. Id recommended some headlight restoration kit once it gets worse but for now just wax it. It isn't horrible

Not sure what is happening but if it is the uv coating wearing off check out url below.

Did similar to this youtube six months ago on yellowed headlights of my 97 truck
I did take headlights off to sand and paint. Paint was shooting heavy for me so only used 2 coats and I did not wax them.
Outside all the time in the midwest and still looking good
FWIW Found the can of spray paint at Home Depo for $4.29.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM

anyone notice any coating degradation of their headlight lens yet?View attachment 212260View attachment 212261View attachment 212262

Preventative maintenance works best. Apply UV waxes to the headlights every few months, takes 5 minutes but will protect and prevent UV damage. Once damaged it requires sanding & polishing the lens with a high speed wheel to repair it.

Our 2's are still perfect so far.
The only issues are the brakes, they are the weak point of the 2"s

Envoy de mon SGH-M919V en utilisant Tapatalk

Preventative maintenance works best. Apply UV waxes to the headlights every few months, takes 5 minutes but will protect and prevent UV damage. Once damaged it requires sanding & polishing the lens with a high speed wheel to repair it.
yep, good point. I've seen this on other vehicles I've owned but I never get proactive about it when I get something new.

same issue here, glad to know it's not just me. used the rainX headlight restore which helped clean it up a bit but it's still noticeable. bought 20% light smoke tint to put over, hopefully it will mask it and improve the look of my front end as well ;)

I installed headlight protection film on headlight plastic lenses and glass fog lenses back in 2012. Headlights still look like new and shiny when cleaned.

Me too did the 3M on the heads and fogs. After 1-1/2 years, they both look like new.

On a previous vehicle, I found out the hard way that some cleaners are real hard on the plastic lens. Was taking some glue, sap off the hood with a chemical soaked rag. This wiped the glue residue off real easy and had no affect on the paint. But I laid the rag over the headlight and not thinking about it, and it ate into the plastic real quick.

Back