headlight lens degradation

We had the 3M package installed on our CX5 at 0 miles, which included the headlights. We are almost at 3 years and they still look like new. About 1/month, I wipe the 3M with a spray wax stuff the installer gave me and the film has stayed in perfect condition.
After all the vehicles I have owned, this by far has been the best way to keep the headlights clear.

Hey guys. I thought I'd chime in here. My 2013 CX5 with 60K miles on it is starting to really haze over on the top part of the lights. It seems 4-5 years of sun exposure is enough to start the aging process. Its parked in a garage every evening but stays outside in the sun at work. I've tried all the over-the-counter products on previous cars and it's a waste of time. Our 2010 Sienna is starting the aging process now as well and boy do you see those running around with yellow eyes! :(

20180623_175817_resized.jpg
20180623_175806_resized.jpg

Same car Same issue

anyone notice any coating degradation of their headlight lens yet?View attachment 213407View attachment 213408View attachment 213409

Just joined up with this forum and going through threads, noticed this one.

That headlamp looks exactly like the one on my wife's 2016 CX-5. Started to notice the degradation at around 18,000 miles. I was suprised since our vehicles are kept in our garage and my 2007 Tacoma has zero haze on the headlamps . Long story short, my wife took it to the dealer, they said it was moisture or condenstaion under the lens and it was normal. Hearing this, I got involved. They then agreeded it wasn't moisture, but they would have to get with Mazda. Waiting to hear back from them, I would call and send emails asking about the status. My calls and emails to the service manager were never returned. I got fed up with the lack of customer service and professionalism, so I called Mazda USA, They listened, but in the end said they couldn't do anything because the dealership is independently owned. What BS!
I'm sorry to say NOTHING was ever done. I have vowed that I will never buy another quart of oil, or much less another vehicle from AutoNation Ford/Mazda in my town. I refuse to even take it in for the recall on the struts for the rear hatch. I'll do that at another dealership when we go visit her mother up near Dallas.

BTW- this all went down about 24 months ago shortly after I retired. She now has 48,000 miles on the clock and I continue to do routine maintenance on her vehicle. There's no telling what I'll do next. I keep getting great ideas from this site.

Just joined up with this forum and going through threads, noticed this one.

That headlamp looks exactly like the one on my wife's 2016 CX-5. Started to notice the degradation at around 18,000 miles. I was suprised since our vehicles are kept in our garage and my 2007 Tacoma has zero haze on the headlamps . Long story short, my wife took it to the dealer, they said it was moisture or condenstaion under the lens and it was normal. Hearing this, I got involved. They then agreeded it wasn't moisture, but they would have to get with Mazda. Waiting to hear back from them, I would call and send emails asking about the status. My calls and emails to the service manager were never returned. I got fed up with the lack of customer service and professionalism, so I called Mazda USA, They listened, but in the end said they couldn't do anything because the dealership is independently owned. What BS!
I'm sorry to say NOTHING was ever done. I have vowed that I will never buy another quart of oil, or much less another vehicle from AutoNation Ford/Mazda in my town. I refuse to even take it in for the recall on the struts for the rear hatch. I'll do that at another dealership when we go visit her mother up near Dallas.

BTW- this all went down about 24 months ago shortly after I retired. She now has 48,000 miles on the clock and I continue to do routine maintenance on her vehicle. There's no telling what I'll do next. I keep getting great ideas from this site.
Therere two ways to get your expensive (LED) headlights replaced for free under warranty on 2016 CX-5. One is if you have a failing LED DRLs, and secondly you have white milky stains on inner surface of headlight lens as shown by OP. You should get new headlights under warranty base on a TSB. And thrse stains are not caused by moisture or condenstaion under the lens and its not normal. Theyre caused by the gas that emits from a gasket in the lamp unit and adheres to the inner surface of the headlight lens and reacts with the anti-clouding coating and moisture in the air to create white milky stains. Mazda North American Operations should fully aware the TSB and you should get the headlights replaced by your dealer with the authorization from MNAO at the first place!

You should contact MMAO again telling them the TSB and you started having the issue at 18,000 miles but got screwed previously. Your dealer should have all the record.

There*re two ways to get your expensive (LED) headlights replaced for free under warranty on 2016 CX-5. One is if you have a failing LED DRLs, and secondly you have white milky stains on inner surface of headlight lens as shown by OP. You should get new headlights under warranty base on a TSB. And thrse stains are not caused by moisture or condenstaion under the lens and it*s not normal. They*re caused by the gas that emits from a gasket in the lamp unit and adheres to the inner surface of the headlight lens and reacts with the anti-clouding coating and moisture in the air to create white milky stains. Mazda North American Operations should fully aware the TSB and you should get the headlights replaced by your dealer with the authorization from MNAO at the first place!

You should contact MMAO again telling them the TSB and you started having the issue at 18,000 miles but got screwed previously. Your dealer should have all the record.

Thank you for the reply and reminding me about the TSB. I did mention the TSB in the emails sent to the local dealer, but my were never answered. I seriously doubt my dealer kept any records. I do have a chain of my emails though. When I contaced Mazda Customer Service USA, I mentioned the TSB and sent them pictures. Their response to the pictures was that the degradation did not appear to look like the stains caused by the TSB. Please let me know if Mazda North American Operations is different than Mazda Customer Service USA. I'd love to get this resolved. Thanks again for your input.

I tried to attach a couple of the pictures, but the upload kept failing.

EDIT- going to try something to post a picture.

Last edited:
my 13 touring tech package lenses are pretty bad, but i can't seem to find the lens/assembly anywhere, is there a part number? i'll i'm seeing is the halogen assembly, not the adaptive xenon (all i need is the plastic not the guts and everything)

my 13 touring tech package lenses are pretty bad, but i can't seem to find the lens/assembly anywhere, is there a part number? i'll i'm seeing is the halogen assembly, not the adaptive xenon (all i need is the plastic not the guts and everything)

You won't be able to purchase only the plastic lens, unfortunately. Headlamp units are only sold as complete units. Our 2014 looked just like those pics above from BlkDakDave, and I just hit it with a 3" foam pad and Meguiar's 105 compound on my Porter Cable 7424 polisher, and it cleared them right up. Then follow up with Meg's headlight protectant, reapplied about once a month.

All you need is some turtle wax polishing compound and then regular turtle wax in the green tub. If you have a lot of oxidation use the polishing compound followed by the regular wax.. or use the regular wax. This is the most basic/low risk way. If they are really jacked and you are comfortable, use some 1200+ grit sand paper followed by compound then wax. You can also remove the headlight assembly, sand and clear coat. But if you are inexperienced you may end up with a bunch of imperfections on the coat

Back