What is a good product to use on black trim?

Ridgerunr

:
Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Like the title says what do you guys use on the black plastic trim on the outside of the vehicle? Like around the wheel arches on my CX-9. Time for a little detailing before winter hits.

Well, I use Mother's Back To Black but I would like it better if it would last longer, expect it to last for no more than a few weeks before fading back to the way it was if you are lucky.

Last edited:
I am really interested in what other people are using on their black trim too. I just posted in another thread, asking the same question. On older cars, I actually used a black plastic spray paint (for vinyl chairs and plastics) on the bumpers/trim to make them look like new again but I'd never do that on my 2016 CX-5. The "Armor All" type spray I use doesn't last but a few days where I live. I was thinking of using a thick tire gel but didn't know if that would be harmful to the plastic. If nobody knows of anything that lasts for months, I'll try the "Mother's Back to Black" that rsvinylgraphics mentioned. Thanks.

Here's a link to a consumer reports test of several products. It appears from the pictures that the best products were "ReNu Finish" and "Wipe New". Apparently, ReNu Finish still looked good after 10 weeks. It has a black dye that can stain paint, clothing, and hands so you would definitely need to be cautious. I think I'd put painters tape around the trim and try it. Here's the link to the products they talked about. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/05/best-exterior-car-trim-cleaners/index.htm

CQuartz DLux Plastic and Wheel Coating will work well. Applied it in July; still looks great and expect it to last several months. http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-dlux.html

I just tried Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus, which is said to last for a few months. I've only had it on a few days but it looks nice now. Very subtle effect on new trim but just what I wanted if it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back