Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row - Mercedes, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi

bxpretzel

:
2015 Mazda CX-5, Touring AWD
"Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi have joined the growing list of manufacturers whose diesel cars are known to emit significantly more pollution on the road than in regulatory tests, according to data obtained by the Guardian."

"Mazdas diesel cars had average NOx emissions of 0.293g/km in the real world, between 1.6 and 3.6 times the NEDC test levels. One Euro 6 model, the Mazda 6 2.2L 5DR, produced three times the official NOx emissions. A spokesman for Mazda said: In compliance with the law, Mazda works hard to ensure that every petrol and diesel engine it makes fully complies with the regulations."

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...da-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row?CMP=twt_gu

Uh-oh! Kind of glad now that Mazda did not bring the diesel CX-5 to North America - I would have totally bought one.

"Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi have joined the growing list of manufacturers whose diesel cars are known to emit significantly more pollution on the road than in regulatory tests, according to data obtained by the Guardian."

"Mazda’s diesel cars had average NOx emissions of 0.293g/km in the real world, between 1.6 and 3.6 times the NEDC test levels. One Euro 6 model, the Mazda 6 2.2L 5DR, produced three times the official NOx emissions. A spokesman for Mazda said: “In compliance with the law, Mazda works hard to ensure that every petrol and diesel engine it makes fully complies with the regulations.”"

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...da-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row?CMP=twt_gu

Uh-oh! Kind of glad now that Mazda did not bring the diesel CX-5 to North America - I would have totally bought one.

In this case, it's that the official tests aren't close enough to real world use. Of course, these results are much less off than VW's 40 times when pollution controls were actually deactivated. It's also well known that Mazda didn't bring the diesel to the US because it could not meet the stricter US standards. For most its a regulatory problem, except VW's truly bizarre case.

I agree. I think it is a reflection of the limitations of the regulatory tests. Discrepancies between these test results versus those from real world use are to be expected and don't reflect wrongdoing on the part of the manufacturer unless mechanisms are put in specifically to pass the test, mechanisms that are not used during normal driving.

In this case, it's that the official tests aren't close enough to real world use. Of course, these results are much less off than VW's 40 times when pollution controls were actually deactivated. It's also well known that Mazda didn't bring the diesel to the US because it could not meet the stricter US standards. For most its a regulatory problem, except VW's truly bizarre case.

This. Let's be clear. VW is the only one admitted to cheating the test. The other manufacturers beat the test legally, as far we know. The issue is the "your mileage may vary" aspect to all of this. It should be no surprise that driving hard will produce more NOx than the ginger test cycle.

Back