Coolant temperature sensor

uploadfromtaptalk1447798288888.png
Not sure how to attach the image properly.
See if your thermostat isn't backwards.

Update. I have a few diagrams on the thermostat and it is in the correct way. I just heard back from the dealership. I reluctantly agreed to let them flush the heater core themselves even though I already did it. They said it helped a little but its weak, pointing to a bad heater core. In case anyone is wondering how much that costs, The dealership quoted me $1,078.80. The car isn't even 2 and a half years and the heater core is bad! I called my usual shop to see what they would charge. They told me they would be calling mazda corporate because its ridiculous. So I called and they're supposed to call me on Monday once they confirm an answer. The car is around 43,000 miles and has regular maintenance done on time. Some people may have good experience with mazda quality, but I'm not one of them. I don't think I'll ever buy another mazda.The funny part is they told me replacing the heater core "should" take car of the check engine light.

They should have bypassed the heater core to see if the temperature difference equalizes. But for the most part they're parts installers and aren't particularly interested in getting to the bottom of the problem.
I feel for you, and am very sorry for what's going on with your car. This shouldn't have turned out like that.

Update. I have a few diagrams on the thermostat and it is in the correct way. I just heard back from the dealership. I reluctantly agreed to let them flush the heater core themselves even though I already did it. They said it helped a little but its weak, pointing to a bad heater core. In case anyone is wondering how much that costs, The dealership quoted me $1,078.80. The car isn't even 2 and a half years and the heater core is bad! I called my usual shop to see what they would charge. They told me they would be calling mazda corporate because its ridiculous. So I called and they're supposed to call me on Monday once they confirm an answer. The car is around 43,000 miles and has regular maintenance done on time. Some people may have good experience with mazda quality, but I'm not one of them. I don't think I'll ever buy another mazda.The funny part is they told me replacing the heater core "should" take car of the check engine light.

Sorry to hear that.
I really hope the dealer will talk to "corporate" and the repair will be covered under warranty.
Even if it is fixed and covered under warranty, I doubt they will actually get to the root cause of the problem.. what is wrong with the cooling system that caused the heater core to become restricted in the first place?

I noticed that our coolant went from bright green to very dark in 10k km. I don't like that. Deposits formation? Who knows...

yeah. Its ridiculous. I've had 2 cars that never had an issue with the heater core. My dad hasn't had any issues on any of his cars either. I'm wondering if it has something to do with Mazdas special brand FL22 coolant. Mazda has a bulletin for the dealers about flushing the heater core for debris. Mazda is aware its an issue. You would think they would want to solve the problem for the customers so they would be repeat customers later on. But what do i know.

I have never had a problem with a heater core on any of my vehicles but helped my dad replace one as kid on his old '64 Ford Falcon station wagon. It started to leak.

As for stuff in radiator causing blockages... on my Infiniti years ago there was a TSB for silicone debris that would cause noise.

Listen to these symptoms...

"In this particular case, your customer is driving a Nissan and reports a tapping noise coming from the dash area when the engine is running at operating temperature. This particular noise sounds like a screwdriver being tapped on the work bench. The tapping speed increases and decreases with the engine RPM and may require an RPM of about 3000 for the noise to be heard. Step one is to determine if the noise is coming from inside the heater core. If so, proceed to the service procedure to correct the condition."

Resolved!!! Mazda is being very helpful. I guess they just had to get word to the right people. They are helping me a lot with the repair. Its on back order for about a week and a half but the car is derivable. So after all this, it will finally be fixed soon. I know the mechanics are only doing their job and they cant speak for mazda corporate. The customer service was very helpful and did not give me the run around at all. I hope nobody has this happen to them and i just got a random bad part. it happens. hope this thread may have helped someone out with easier issues.

Resolved!!! Mazda is being very helpful. I guess they just had to get word to the right people. They are helping me a lot with the repair. Its on back order for about a week and a half but the car is derivable. So after all this, it will finally be fixed soon. I know the mechanics are only doing their job and they cant speak for mazda corporate. The customer service was very helpful and did not give me the run around at all. I hope nobody has this happen to them and i just got a random bad part. it happens. hope this thread may have helped someone out with easier issues.

Glad to see some good news from you! Hopefully it'll get fixed properly and stay fixed.

I'm assuming the heater core is the random bad part?

Wondering how this resolved for you?

I realize it's been a while since the original thread, but if you happen to read this, I am curious how all this worked out, and how much assistance Mazda gave you with the heater core repair. I am having the exact same problem with my CX-5, and was quoted over $2000 to replace the HC. I called Customer Care to request help with the cost, and am awaiting their response. Thank you!

I realize it's been a while since the original thread, but if you happen to read this, I am curious how all this worked out, and how much assistance Mazda gave you with the heater core repair. I am having the exact same problem with my CX-5, and was quoted over $2000 to replace the HC. I called Customer Care to request help with the cost, and am awaiting their response. Thank you!
What year is your CX-5 and what is mileage?

Hello

Was the root cause of the issue ever confirmed? And which of the repairs was the fix?

My friend has a 2014 CX-5 and the code just appeared. I removed the ECT sensor connector (the one near the passenger firewall) and the pins and contacts looked good. I wasn't able to find the one near the thermostat housing. Is the one near the thermostat housing / battery mounted vertical or horizontal?

I am new to Mazda and this fourm, are there any other threads about this issue?

I cleared the code for my friend yesterday evening. She drove to work this morning and the code didn't reappear (at least not yet). I saw the list in the service manual of all the criteria that needs to happen for the P011A to be issued so it could just be a matter of time before it reappears.

As for the debris in the cooling system, what is that all about?

Also noticed a few mentions as to the firmware update for the ECU. Were there updates for the 2014 CX-5? Is so it is handled under a recall or TSB? What should the latest version be or does it depend on vin?

DTC p011a on a 2016 CX-5 Sport MT at 39K miles. Also noticed that the heater was anemic. Back flushed the heater core. Changed the engine coolant temperature sensor on the heater core outlet. Neither worked. Finally, reversed the heater hoses on the core as others have suggested. Cabin heat working again. ECM cleared the permanent DTC.

This is my fourth mazda, every single one of them has had cooling system problems just after 36K miles.
Mazda claims that the p011a is covered under the emission control warranty, 8years/80K miles. But the heater core is not covered by the emission control warranty. Plus dealer charges 200 just to says whether or not the problem's covered under warranty.

Last edited:
I have this code too. Changed both sensors and heater works great. Anybody have other fixes for this?

I have this code too. Changed both sensors and heater works great. Anybody have other fixes for this?

"Mystery part fell out when took off plastic shroud under engine on drivers side."

Bet a nickle it's related!

Back