Windshield replacement for 2016 CX5 GT w/Tech pakg

:
2016 CX5 GT /Tech
IMG_2501_zpsbt4owgjm.jpg

I have a broken Windshield on my CX5 since 8/12/15. A rock hit while I parked at work.
I'm still waiting on the glass. It has that smart city brake assist sensor and rain sensor, so it not a standard CX5 glass.

Just wonder any forum member has a windshield replaced on his/her CX5 GT?
How long does it take you to get the replacement windshield?

Last edited:
we (ummm, the other driver that is ;)) got a rock chip top right side, fine for a few days, then finally started cracking down and towards driver's side.

since it was the rain sensor windshield, glass co had to order it through mazda, took 3-4 days to arrive . . . but had broken in transit LOL
so mazda sent another one out, arrived in same 3-4 days (both times including week-end days)

so would have been within a week normally

glass co (crystal glass in alberta) was great, keeping us apprised of status along the way, even did an interim glass repair on the original crack for free since the cx-5 was going on a 1500mi road trip before the replacement would arrive

and added their own water repellent treatment as part of the replacement

all covered by aftermarket glass insurance, $50 deductible for the $800 cdn windshield

so depending where you are vs the closest mazda warehouse, shouldn't be too long

JBCalg, Thanks for the info. But Grand Sport has different windshield than Grand Touring. The Smart city brake assist has a laser and sensor mounting on it.

as far as i recall, the glass co said there was 2 oem windshields, sensor(s) vs not - could be wrong there, was only interested in what worked for us
in any event, we were told since it a new vehicle, the non OEM manufacturers haven't geared up to produce either - so it had to be OEM through Mazda
and sourcing and delivery all depended on where Mazda had one

btw - 1st replacement cam from Toronto, 2nd came from Vancouver for some logistically inspired sourcing reason LOL

as always - YMMV

CX-5's windshield is infamously weak and very easy to crack even if it wasn't hit by any foreign objects. If you just got hit by a rock with smaller than dime-sized "star" crack, you can always repair it with a minimum cost. Once it started to develop a line crack, it's too late to do anything but to replace the whole windshield. We have a local guy who stops by your place to repair those small chips and cracks on windshield for only $50+, Our CR-V windshield got hit by a huge rock but had only a dime-sized star crack, and it's almost invisible after the repair by that person.

From this thread it seems the wait time is not long for a new OEM windshield, even on GT with Tech:

re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Looks like on 2014 and 2015 CX5 Touring Tech package and Grand Touring Tech both have the sensor, so I don't why it take so long for my dealer to get a OEM glass...

Looks like on 2014 and 2015 CX5 Touring Tech package and Grand Touring Tech both have the sensor, so I don't why it take so long for my dealer to get a OEM glass...
Make sure your dealer ordered correct windshield - 2016 GT with only the Tech Package. If they order one with more sensors for i-ActivSense Package, it could take longer. Mazda supposed to make the windshield on 2016 CX-5 a little stronger, hence it would have a different part number from pre-'16 windshield.

It took the glass shop 1 day to get the OEM replacement windshield for my 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring w/ Tech

Going on 2 full months now still no windshield. I send a complaint email to MazdaUSA. Some lady from Mazda call back ask me how I ordered the glass. I told her my dealership's glass replacement division ordered the glass, and she is all confused on fact that my name was not on the backorder. As if people order windshield and install it themselves.

I don't know how Mazda is not able to send my dealer a 2016 windshield. Dealer says they have over 20 backorders and the part number is different than the 2015s, so I am not the only one waiting. This is F-ed up.

Last edited:
Going on 2 full months now still no windshield. I send a complaint email to MazdaUSA. Some lady from Mazda call back ask me how I ordered the glass. I told her my dealership's glass replacement division ordered the glass, and she is all confused on fact that my name was not on the backorder. As if people order windshield and install it themselves.

I don't know how Mazda is not able to send my dealer a 2016 windshield. Dealer says they have over 20 backorders and the part number is different than the 2015s, so I am not the only one waiting. This is F-ed up.

Sorry to hear of your pain. I suspect the dealer might have screwed up the order in the first place. I've never heard of a dealership with a "glass replacement division". It's usually handled by the same service department that handles regular service/repairs (even if they subcontract the work to a third party glass installer).

Nov 9th 2015, Almost 3 months after my windshield was broken (Order submitted on 8-12-15), my new 2016 CX-5 GT windshield finally arrived at the dealer. the crack nearly reach the other side.
I checked with the dealer every 2 weeks during this ordeal, it doesn't seem like the dealer screw up the order. According to my dealer, in the Midwest region, there are 40+ back orders pending from Chicago distribution center. In addition, after MazdaUSA rep call me on the phone last month, it still took another 4 weeks to get the new glass.

Whoever you do, just don't broke the windshield on your 2016 CX-5 GT. I think my was broken by the landscape company who does my company lawn, most likely a rock was kicked up by a lawn mower.

PS: MikeM may be you live in a small town and don't go out much. Luther Auto Group in Twin Cities area sells 28 different brands, has it's own collision/body and glass replacement division handles insurance claim, and a detail shop to apply 3M paint protection and under body rust protection.

Last edited:
Three days after buying our 2015 CX-5 a truck without a cover flung rocks on the front of our car and cracked the windshield as well as dinging up the hood. My wife managed to follow the truck and get the license plate and the company eventually paid for the windshield with their insurance company. It took a couple of weeks arguing with the insurance company but it only took about three days after ordering the windshield. We have the Grand Touring with Tech package and the price was around $870. We got a prompt repair after working it out with the insurance company.

As I suspected and been told by the dealer in Taiwan, the windshield on 2016 is different from 2015 MY and prior.

Nov 9th 2015, Almost 3 months after my windshield was broken (Order submitted on 8-12-15), my new 2016 CX-5 GT windshield finally arrived at the dealer. the crack nearly reach the other side.
I checked with the dealer every 2 weeks during this ordeal, it doesn't seem like the dealer screw up the order. According to my dealer, in the Midwest region, there are 40+ back orders pending from Chicago distribution center. In addition, after MazdaUSA rep call me on the phone last month, it still took another 4 weeks to get the new glass.
Whoever you do, just don't broke the windshield on your 2016 CX-5 GT. I think my was broken by the landscape company who does my company lawn, most likely a rock was kicked up by a lawn mower.
Sometimes you have no control to prevent a flying rock hitting your windshield. According to NHTSA data, the number of complaints on cracked windshield for CX-5 are substantially higher than everybody else. This indicates the weak windshields have been installed to CX-5 by Mazda. If you're in Taiwan, you will get windshield replaced for free with the rock chip like your size as they have expanded windshield warranty coverage for rock chips and cracks. The long waiting list for 2016 OEM windshield seems indicating there is still issues for weak windshield for 2016 MY. At least you got your new windshield after 3-month wait! We can only hope and pray no more rocks hitting our windshield!

One week after purchasing my (New)/ (used 3300 miles) 2015 GT with tech package, a rock thrown from a pickup truck and trailer took out the windshield. I think it was over $1,100 to replace the windshield and re-calibrate the Smart city braking system. I now have full glass coverage insurance on the Mazda. Two weeks from start to finish to get the job done. No aftermarket glass is offered and it had to be ordered from Mazda.

My 2013 has taken a number of hard rock hits with no visible damage. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find at least a couple of miniscule pits.

The NHTSA complaints are out of proportion to anything reported here by real owners and I suspect most of those complaints are just part of a disinformation campaign because it's really easy for anyone to file multiple false reports on the NHTSA website.

IMO, the CX-5 has a rate of windshield breakage roughly on par with other vehicles in it's class. I doubt Mazda even makes the glass. Probably sourced from the same suppliers used by other automakers.

Our 2016 GT took a pretty hard hit from a chunk of metal thrown up by a truck going through a freeway construction area. Small less than 1/4" chip/crack that haasn't grown at all yet.

Our 2016 GT took a pretty hard hit from a chunk of metal thrown up by a truck going through a freeway construction area. Small less than 1/4" chip/crack that haasn't grown at all yet.
I've been told the windshield on 2016 MY is improved and stronger. But if you have " star break-up, or if you can see any tiny line breaks around the crack, I'd find a reputable windshield repair guy to fix it as soon as possible. Otherwise those tiny line breaks eventually will grow, which makes the replacement of windshield inevitable.

I've been told the windshield on 2016 MY is improved and stronger. But if you have " star break-up, or if you can see any tiny line breaks around the crack, I'd find a reputable windshield repair guy to fix it as soon as possible. Otherwise those tiny line breaks eventually will grow, which makes the replacement of windshield inevitable.

That is correct. In Europe, at least in Germany, France, the UK and Belgium (as per the fora) the "crack rate" of the CX-5 windshield went significantly down since FY 2014. At least the ones which were not affected by rocks, stones etc.

I'd suggest heading over to Wal-Mart and getting a DIY chip repair kit for about $10. It comes in a yellow package. I think its called the Rain-X Windshield Repair kit. I've used it at least 4 times between 4 different cars. Keeps a small crack from spreading.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-Windshield-Repair-Kit/34163599

MikeM. has a 2013 CX-5 and his windshield survived several impressively loud rock hits at highway speeds. So he claims all windshields on all CX-5's have no issues.

When people said it took 3 months to get an OEM windshield for his 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech, and dealer told him there are 40+ back orders in the Midwest region (apparently due to high demand), MikeM.'s response: dealer screw-ups!

When people said NHTSA data showed there're overwhelming number of complaints against CX5's windshield cracks comparing to other vehicles in it's class, MikeM.'s response: those complaints are just part of a disinformation campaign!

When 22.15% of forum members had issues on "self-destructed windshield caused by stress fracture", MikeM.'s response: small percentage!

When people said Mazda in Taiwan changed its warranty coverage, now replacing every cracked windshield on CX-5 for free even if it caused by flying rock after CX-5 owners protested about the weak windshield, MikeM.'s response: Mazda has never admitted about weak windshield on CX-5!

MikeM., I really hope your responses and logics are correct!

Back