Tire issues

steve333

2013 Mazda 3 iSport Automatic SkyActive
Hey all, I only have 13,000 miles on my 2 year old Yokohama YK580s. One developed a radial pull and Discount Tire replaced it for free but I had to shell out the pro-rate ($70) to replace the one next to it because it's not good to have an older tire on the same axle as a new tire.

They put the new tires on the rear and suddenly the older tires have no grip in the rain at all and they are practically hopping, especially off the line.
I'm so frustrated, I called Yokohama and filed a case number and going back to Discount Tire on wednesday.
They have always rotated the tires from to back only and I wonder if they need to be rotated in a cross pattern on our cars.
The tires are asymmetrical and non directional.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2013 Mazda 3 iSport 4 door sedan automatic

Hey all, I only have 13,000 miles on my 2 year old Yokohama YK580s. One developed a radial pull and Discount Tire replaced it for free but I had to shell out the pro-rate ($70) to replace the one next to it because it's not good to have an older tire on the same axle as a new tire.
I would argue that had it not been for the defective tire, you would never have had to shell out $70 for an opposing tire. Therefore, you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Discount Tire should be reimbursed by Yokohama for their cost to replace both tires, so you are right in filing a complaint with Yokohama.

They put the new tires on the rear and suddenly the older tires have no grip in the rain at all and they are practically hopping, especially off the line.
I'm so frustrated, I called Yokohama and filed a case number and going back to Discount Tire on wednesday.
They have always rotated the tires from to back only and I wonder if they need to be rotated in a cross pattern on our cars.
The tires are asymmetrical and non directional.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, have Discount Tire recheck the tire pressure. If it's off by a significant amount, either or both issues can occur. There should still be plenty of tread depth left, so I'm baffled as to why there is no grip if the air pressure is normal. Tires do tend to hop off the line if there is wheel spin, especially if the road is damp or wet. I've experienced this when I had my 01 Corvette, although it was the rear Goodyear tires that hopped.

I am curious as to why your OEM tires are YK580s, which (I believe) are made specifically for Discount Tire. How did that happen? I've run YKs in the past and they had been decent tires. My current favorites are Continental Extreme DWs or DWS tires - quiet, nice ride, and handle very well.

2013 Mazda 3 iSport 4 door sedan automatic[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick response.
The tire pressure was at 34 so I increased them to 35 (says 36 on the door jam but I find the car rides too rough at that psi)
I changed the oem tires and wheels right after i bought the car because the Bridgestones were awful, plus I wanted wheels and not hubcaps.
My service guy told me to avoid Continental's for some reason he didn't like them, said they were frequently off round.
I was planning on Michelin's ro the Yokos and I guess I made a bad choice, although they were fine until now.

I was definitely not happy about shelling out the 70 bucks and I sure as heck don't want to spend another dime on 2 year old tires with only 13,000 miles on them.
I wonder if they wore poorly by them rotating front to back instead of a criss cross pattern?

Ah, so the guy who tells you Contis are poor choices, rotates your tires straight back? I'm not sure he's a good source of info! I've been running Conti for more than 10 years on 3 different cars and never had a problem with balancing or accelerated wear. In fact, I just ordered a set (for the MX5) from Discount Tire in my area. There's a $70 visa card rebate deal going on, so I ended up paying only $93 each.
But let's see what Yokohama and your tire shop comes up with. As I mentioned, YKs are typically good tires and DT sells lots of them.

Nah, Discount Tire was doing the rotating, the guy worked at a shop I used for oil changes and service.
I will definitely keep the Conti's in mind for my next set, it's them or Michelin

So, go into Discount, apparently they don't test drive vehicles so when they called yokohama all they could tell them is the tread wear, which on only 13,000 miles is still OK.
Yoko offers 30% off new tires, I get pissed get on the phone with them and they upped it to 50%.
I had no choice but to take it. $200 total for the 2 tires because of Discount's fees for installation, etc.
So, $270 total to replace all 4 tires that were only 2 years old.
Not a happy camper right now. I sent an email to Yokohama but I'm sure they won't do anything else. Not a good day

I guess there are lemons for tires. Unfortunately, you ended up with one. Cheer up, though; it could've been worse. One speeding ticket can cost $500.

Yeah, at least I have 4 good tires (I hope) for the upcoming rainy season we're expecting in San Diego.

It turns out that Discount gathered up the last 4 Conti Extreme DWs (215/45/17 for my MX5) from DTs in different parts of the US. Apparently, Conti is delayed in keeping up with the high demand, especially with their $70 discount. My OEM tires on the 3 have only 7500 miles on them, so I won't be replacing them for a while.

I replaced my oems immediately because they were so bad. Of course, after this experience I wish I had waited

I went to the Mazda dealer today for an oil change and paid them to re-balance my tires. Now they're worse than before. Thanks Mazda. I wanted to have them do a wheel alignment but they said I would have to wait 3-4 hours for an oil change, tire balancing and wheel alignment so I skipped the alignment.
I'm going to bring the car to my local service place and have them do the alignment ($50 cheaper than Mazda) and have them balance the tires, hopefully correctly.
2 year old car with new tires that rides like ass. Priceless

sorry to dig up a dead thread but for anyone reading this i also had a bad experience with yokohama yk580s on a protege 5 they were the slickest least grippy tires i have ever owned. about 11,000 miles into the life of them it rained for the first time since i had bought them (texas, so we get long droughts) anyway they had been acceptable except in spirited driving until then. the day it rained it was just abarely a light drizzle enough to make the road just barely wet (no puddles) and i was traveling about 30-35mph when i had to make an abrupt emergency avoidance maneuver to avoid a lady changing lanes into me. anyways i spun around in 360 and cam to a stop in the middle of the road glad i had not hit anything or anyone i pulled over into a parking lot to inspect my car all was good. i barely applied brakes and turned the wheel enough to change lanes but thats all these tires needed to hydroplane. i had already told my friend who had been with me earlier these tires dont feel right in the wet. i promptly returned to discount and demanded they remove these hazardous tires from my car immediately or i would raise hell to corporate and to the tire manufacturer. they complied and put on some contennetials which had their own set of issue being balanced but that's for a different thread. the yokohama yk580s are not good tires for anything under 3500 pound curb weight as they are too hard of a tire and the car cannot press them into the pavement enough to make them grip. if installed be careful. i will never have them on any car again. they were on my 3 that i got last year immediately went to ntb and got some bf goodrich gforce comp sport a/s 2 and could not be happier with these tires, they feel even better than the michelin pilot sport a/s 3s that were on my protege 5 prior to the yokos. yokohama yk580s are too hard for lightweight cars yokohama yk580s are too hard to be driven in the wet they are a dangerous tire and need to be pulled from the market. also when my yokohamas were installed they were aired up to factory spec psi in all 4 tires as i always did and do in every car.

Yup, I had my YK580s replaced last year with only 10,000 miles on them as they were worn unevenly and dangerous in the rain. The only thing Discount Tire would do for me is switch them out for the same ones, plus I had to shell out over $200. I was pissed.
They are OK in the rain so far but I know as soon as they wear a little more they will lose their grip.
No more Yoko's for me

Yup, I had my YK580s replaced last year with only 10,000 miles on them as they were worn unevenly and dangerous in the rain. The only thing Discount Tire would do for me is switch them out for the same ones, plus I had to shell out over $200. I was pissed.
They are OK in the rain so far but I know as soon as they wear a little more they will lose their grip.
No more Yoko's for me
go to ntb/big o tire (or merchants) (they are named different things in different areas) and get you these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...autoModel=MAZDA3 5-Door&autoModClar=s Touring

or order them from tire rack at the time i got them ntb had the better deal $100 off instantly and $100 mail in rebate (buy 1 get 1 basically) as it was $110 a tire at the time from them.

they are high performance tires so they do have a little bit of intrusive road noise. however if you dont mind some tire noise they are great otherwise. 45,000 mile life warranty aa traction a temp they have been excellent over the year and just over 12k miles i have had them so far they start at 9/32nds and mine after 12k are not even but barely down to 8/32nds after 2 rotations at 6k and 12k miles (i rotate mine religiously every 6k miles as well as oil every 6k miles with synthetic) it has been a wet year this year and these tires are awesome in the rain and even better in the dry they are wearing very well and handle very well. they are aggressive looking and look great if you like your 3 to have a sporty look. they can handle turns like a champ and complement the 3's agile handling characteristics perfectly. bf goodrich is owned and built in the usa by michilen tires and so they have a great quality control and design team. i have never had an issue with michelin nor have i with these my first and the first of many bf goodrichs. tire rack has served me well as well, they can ship them to you or a shop for installation and offer road hazard.

i got them at ntb as well due to the fact if i do need road hazard claim i can go directly through them and not have to wait for shipping or authorization.

Thanks, I'll look into them after the current tires start crapping out (if I still have the car)

My 2011 mazda 3S came with Yokohama's and they were fine in the dry but bad in the rain hit a large puddle and almost lost it. So I slowed down when it rains and then winter comes and in DC just a light 3" snow made driving difficult with these tires. So at 11k off they went and on went Goodyear Triple Tred at least I could drive in the rain but not great about a 6 out of 10 so again at 10K off they came off and on went michelin pilot sport a/s 3s 225/45/17 ...now that's a tire that works well in the rain an sun. I been following the reviews on the BF Goodrich G force Comp 2 A/S and decided its time to replace my Michelins so I switched over to the BF Goodrich last week. They're even better then the AS 3's in the rain so now I've found a tire that's made me feel safer in the rain and handles spirited driving in the sun. I even went to 235/45/17 and couldn't be happier. Luckily for me I spend my money on tires not phones so I don't mind the hit when it comes to safety. Also helps that forum's like this and youtube video's have taught this ole dog how to maintain his Mazda that its not seen the dealer since Jan 2011. Doing my Oil, Auto Tran, Power Steering brake fluid, brake pads, filters and RMM . Soon a JBR rear Sway bar with Moog sway bar links and I'm ready for next upgrade.

Last edited:
Back