2016 Sport vs Touring FWD

:
2017 CX5 GS, 2018 X3 xDrive30i, 2019 Tesla Model 3
I am considering getting another CX5 for a family member.
The rear view cam is a must have option. But I realized it can be had on a Sport trim as well, which was not so when I got 2014 CX5.
And the blind spot monitoring is another item high on the list but not as important as the rear view cam.
The price gap between the two trim levels is $2000, which seems a lot to pay just for the two must have items.
My 77 year old father will be driving it primarily.
I wish those two were available on sport trim as well..

Also, there is a lease deal for $209/mo on Sport AWD. Does that mean Sport FWD lease will be even cheaper?

The touring also has the power seat for the driver, the sport does not. If that matters for someone that's 77 and needs to be in a comfortable position.

The sport also doesn't have the rear seat release lever, but I'm not sure if that comes with the touring or the GT.

I went with the sport with rear camera package. That's really only a 1500 different from there to the touring.

Last edited:
To get heated seats, add another $3...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am considering getting another CX5 for a family member.
The rear view cam is a must have option. But I realized it can be had on a Sport trim as well, which was not so when I got 2014 CX5.
And the blind spot monitoring is another item high on the list but not as important as the rear view cam.
The price gap between the two trim levels is $2000, which seems a lot to pay just for the two must have items.
I wish those two were available on sport trim as well..

Also, there is a lease deal for $209/mo on Sport AWD. Does that mean Sport FWD lease will be even cheaper?

There are quite a few more upgrades going from Sport to the Touring.

The BSM over the course of one year, has prevented me from 1 sure accident. So that to me so far has saved a $500 INS Deductible.

I went through this entire list of Touring features and assigned a dollar value to what each "upgrade" is worth to ME. Some such as the PANDORA, TEXTING, and E911 Features got $0 from me. Whereas the BSM, Lumbar support, Advanced keyless got some good dollar values from me. This might help in quantifying all of the differences to you.

FROM THE MAZDA USA site... here are the differences.

TOURING FEATURES
In addition to Sport features:
Mazda advanced keyless entry system
Halogen fog lights
6-way power driver's seat with manual lumbar support
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System††
MAZDA CONNECTTM Infotainment System‡‡
AM/FM/CD/MP3-compatible stereo with automatic level control and 6 speakers
HD radio
Pandora Internet radio compatibility
SMS text message audio delivery and reply
E911 automatic emergency notification
Upgraded, premium cloth upholstery
Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
40/20/40 dual split folding rear seatback with fold down center arm rest
Rear privacy glass

Last edited:
There are 3 options that are a must especially for older drivers. BU camera, Blind Spot monitor and cross traffic monitor. I would not own another car without these and I'm not even elderly. The cross traffic monitor has saved me a couple times in parking lots. The BSM even when you're not planning on changing lanes gives you a heads-up of what's in your general vicinity.
I believe car manufactures are developing these technologies to keep older people driving and buying.

If these 3 options are not available in the sport model I would upgrade to at least the Touring trim. You may save some bucks up front but more than likely will pay out down the road.
Your father will thank you once he's sees the benefits of the technology.

@ wlong01, mazdadude
+1

@OP
FWD vs AWD, yes AWD is usually more, with larger engine

have dad do a test drive on each model, configured close to what you think you want

For normal road use AWD is an expensive option relative to what you get. Yes, the FWD should be considerably less expensive.

Here's why AWD is a game of diminishing returns (unless you really need it or have plenty of extra cash laying around):

1) Costs more upfront.
2) Costs more over the life of the car in terms of fuel consumption, tire life.
3) 0-60 mph about .6-.8 slower
4) Encourages bigger motor to gain lost performance which then consumes even more fuel
5) Unrepairable puncture may require replacement of all four tires prematurely. $$$

Since AWD is not much of a benefit for 99.87% of all trips (highly technical statistic using proprietary metrics and demographics (wink)), it makes the most sense for most buyers to forgo it. That said, I opted for it because I bought this car to travel to/from one of the snowiest ski areas in the world which often has mandatory chains or AWD and also for hiking/skiing access on poorly maintained back-country roads. Last winter was screwy though. Almost no snow. In over 100 years of records there has never been a winter that bad.

2016 Sport vs Touring FWD

Not only I'd get at least a CX-5 Touring, but also add the Tech Package which comes with LED lighting and AFS. Those much brighter LED lights and AFS will help your father seeing a lot better in the dark. In addition, if I were you I'd contribute these additional cost for him just for the added safety!

Not only I'd get at least a CX-5 Touring, but also add the Tech Package which comes with LED lighting and AFS. Those much brighter LED lights and AFS will help your father seeing a lot better in the dark.

A lot of older people make it a point to only drive during daylight hours (and generally have no need to drive at night) so you might ask him if that even matters.

Please, please, please: make sure your father is still capable of driving safely, for his and everyone's sake.
My father stopped driving few years ago.

Thanks for the inputs everyone.
We went with a touring fwd.
Compared to my 14 sport, the interior looks much more luxurious.
The car had a couple of dealer added options that were mandatory to purchase, pulse break light and etch security.
I guess they have to make money.
My father kept looking back when reversing so I had to convince him that the camera sees better than human.

Thanks for the inputs everyone.
We went with a touring fwd.
Compared to my 14 sport, the interior looks much more luxurious.
The car had a couple of dealer added options that were mandatory to purchase, pulse break light and etch security.
I guess they have to make money.
My father kept looking back when reversing so I had to convince him that the camera sees better than human.

He will come to love the tech and wonder how he ever got along without it especially in a CUV where visibility is much more limited than a sedan or coupe.
Hopefully these advances will eventually filter into all cars reducing accidents especially in an aging population.

Within the last month I've witnessed two accidents in parking lots involving senior citizens backing into each other. No injuries but time and money spent in damages
and more than likely higher insurance premiums.

I agree. My parents don't take long trips any longer. 90% of trips are within 20 miles. And lot of them involve parking lots. That's why I wanted him to have the rear cam.
Btw, he is insured under my policy and out of the three cx5, his is the most expensive at $636/yr.

Back