Just got back from the dealer...

cgrucelski

:
2016 CX-5 AWD Grand Touring w/ Tech Pkg, Deep Crystal Blue Mica
Hi, all.

New, first-time Mazda owner (pending), and brand new forum member. My wife and I just returned from the dealer, having signed papers on a 2016 CX-5 AWD Grand Touring w/ Tech Pkg, Deep Crystal Blue Mica in color. We will be picking it up early next week, after insurance paperwork is finalized.

Earlier this week, my wife and daughter were in an accident in her 2009 RAV4 AWD V6 Limited, which we bought new originally. Another driver lost control of his VW Golf due to excessive speed and hit her on the drivers side, just behind the driver's door. It could have been much worse if he had hit 1-2 feet in the other direction, but fortunately, no one was hurt.

We spent the past few days researching and test driving the leading candidates in the small SUV field and decided the CX-5 was the best choice. I have a habit of researching purchases to death, whether minor or major, so I found and read everything I could find over the past 2-3 days: Car and Driver, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Road & Track, etc. I also checked out the IIHS safety ratings for these models.

We test-drove all-wheel drive versions of the 2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE, 2016 Honda CRV EX-L, 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring, and 2016 VW Tiguan SE. Before ultimately deciding to buy the Grand Touring version of the CX-5, we also test drove that model, to see if there was any noticeable handling differences due to the 19" wheels, as compared to the Touring model we drove earlier this week.

In addition to the 2009 RAV4, we also own a 1999 RAV4, so we're familiar with Toyota's quality and reliability. I also grew up driving VWs most of my life, and our daughter has a used 2007 VW Jetta, so I'm very familiar with VW's craftsmanship and quality. I didn't seriously consider other brands of small SUVs for various reasons, including reviews and IIHS safety ratings.

We were disappointed in the RAV4, as the handling felt "squishy" and the overall features were simply ordinary. Coming from the V6 in our 2009 RAV4, the 4 cylinder was a real dog in performance. When we drove the CRV, the cabin interior felt much roomier than the competition. In fact, it almost felt to me like we were sitting in a mini-van. But, we thought the cabin noise was louder and I was not a fan of the dash layout and lane detection camera technology.

The 200hp turbo-charged Tiguan definitely did not disappoint in terms of performance, but I didn't feel like it was that much better than the CX-5, and to me, it seemed as though it shifted rougher under hard acceleration. The Tiguan was also leaps ahead of all of the others in terms of interior finish, as it felt more like a luxury SUV to me. I was not disappointed by the solid 'thunk' of the doors that I am accustomed to with VWs, and the panoramic moon roof was cool. But, I just couldn't get past the sticker shock.

Overall, we felt like the CX-5 was the best option for us. In fact, it was actually no contest, when we considered the features we were getting for the money. We absolutely loved the sports-car-like handling and the safety and technology features on the CX-5. We were leaning towards the Touring model, with both the Moon Roof & Bose Premium Audio package and the Touring Technology package, but this combination of features wasn't that much less than the Grand Touring.

I'm looking forward to reading through the forums and participating in the community. If anyone has any suggestions for "must read" threads, let me know!

Calvin

Good share!

When the wifey got the new car bug in 2012, we studied all smallish suv type vehicles within our price range and the CX-5 was the clear choice for us. All the others came up either short on what she was looking for, or long on cost for what she would get.
Almost 3 1/2 years later we are both truely happy with the purchase.

One thing I found funny, co-workers would ask, "How does she like her new vehicle?" and I would say that she really likes it and I do too because it's fun to drive. Most said, "Fun to drive? What does that mean?" (boom02)

Enjoy your new ride!

Welcome to the CX-5 family Calvin. I'm also a new owner. First Mazda ever. I also did an insane amount of research including numerous YouTube videos. I was delighted with the test drive. It drove better than what I had imagined.

I'm 45 and yet I got the Soul Red. The wife wasn't with me when I bought the car, haha.

Congrats !

Same here. First time Mazda owner after sticking with Honda for over 25 years. My previous 2007 Honda CRV (3rd Generation) was probably Honda's swan song in the mid/compact SUV space. We waited and waited but the 4th generation CRV was so underwhelmed that we eventually went for a CX5. The CX5 is a great drive. Comparable to to the Audi Q3 for a lot less money. For me personally, I see the CX5 as the spiritual successor to the 3rd generation CRV. A big decision and a bit nerve wrecking initially though having driven nothing but Honda previously.

Howdy Calvin,

Congratulations on the New CX-5, and Welcome to the Forum!!!

The 2 things that come to mind after having mine for about 6 weeks now,

(1) is to make sure and have them update the System to the latest Firmware, I believe the last I'd heard of
was Mazda V55.753 A NA

(2) check by the Spare Tire for all the Necessary items, and make sure they've got the 2 Tow/Tie Down Bolts
(there's a long and short one) Mine didn't have it there and I didn't know about them and spent 50.00 dollars to
buy them. In case you need to get pulled out of a ditch or get stuck, there's no place under the front to tie or
attach anything.

Others might have more suggestions to put on your List<G>

Make Sure and post some pics when you get it !!!

Congrats on the CX5.
I have had mine for two years and it is almost as fun to drive as a miata.

Howdy Calvin,

Congratulations on the New CX-5, and Welcome to the Forum!!!

The 2 things that come to mind after having mine for about 6 weeks now,

(1) is to make sure and have them update the System to the latest Firmware, I believe the last I'd heard of
was Mazda V55.753 A NA

(2) check by the Spare Tire for all the Necessary items, and make sure they've got the 2 Tow/Tie Down Bolts
(there's a long and short one) Mine didn't have it there and I didn't know about them and spent 50.00 dollars to
buy them. In case you need to get pulled out of a ditch or get stuck, there's no place under the front to tie or
attach anything.

Others might have more suggestions to put on your List<G>

Make Sure and post some pics when you get it !!!

My dealer told me new cars don't include the tow hooks due to damage claims by previous owners using too much and damaging the drivetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer told me new cars don't include the tow hooks due to damage claims by previous owners using too much and damaging the drivetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning edj,

I'm sure they don't want to be liable for any damage
but there's not any place to attach anything if you need to just get pulled out if
you get stuck without messing up the plastic undercarriage or front/rear bumpers

If I'd know about this I'd have had them put them in, as they're in
the Manual as Chris example shows.

Plus, I'm sure they wouldn't be selling them if they were
too concerned about them ;-)

the 2015 and 2016 manuals call them tie down hooks and specifically caution about towing, especially the AWD
but they still should include them for their intended purpose
gonna rattle the dealer's cage about that again next week ;)
otherwise it's off to the scrap yard see if there's some cx-5s around

In addition to the 2009 RAV4, we also own a 1999 RAV4, so we're familiar with Toyota's quality and reliability. I also grew up driving VWs most of my life, and our daughter has a used 2007 VW Jetta, so I'm very familiar with VW's craftsmanship and quality. I didn't seriously consider other brands of small SUVs for various reasons, including reviews and IIHS safety ratings.
Glad your wife and daughter came out fine from the accident!

The only thing I'd prefer a Toyota is the reliability. But for a VW? As a long time VW owner and VW has always been our only new car choice for many years, I finally gave up on it due to its bad quality and poor reliability. We have a very reliable 180K-mile '98 Honda CR-V and a new CR-V was also considered. Eventually SkyActiv Technology is the main reason for selecting a new CX-5 as our first Mazda along with improved quality and reliability from Mazda in recent years. Turbo and CVT are two things I have always been trying to avoid.

CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package is an excellent choice as the LED lightings with AFS alone is well worth the money you paid for the option. AWD may make you a little disappointing on gas mileage. I'm also disappointed on Bose system as there is no directional tweeters with 9 mid-range speakers and woofers which makes high notes disappearing.

Hi, all.

New, first-time Mazda owner (pending), and brand new forum member. My wife and I just returned from the dealer, having signed papers on a 2016 CX-5 AWD Grand Touring w/ Tech Pkg, Deep Crystal Blue Mica in color. We will be picking it up early next week, after insurance paperwork is finalized.
Calvin

Just purchased the exact same model and color as yours back in July, is also my first Mazda, you're gonna love it. In fact, I had just placed an order in for a 2016 Subie Outback Ltd, but wound up canceling it after I took an extended test drive and got a much better deal on the CX-5. Now I see what the critics mean about the "fun factor". Just hope the resale value holds up after being spoiled by Subaru (two previous OB's) and Toyota (RAV4).

Post some pics when you finally get it, and just in case you've forgotten (I doubt!) this is what you have to look forward to -

BOL with your new ride!

Back