Rattle in 2016 CX-5

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
For the past couple of weeks, I am hearing a mild but continuous rattle from near the driver-side B pillar / door jamb where the bottom part of the glass meets the door. I notice this easily because it is close to my left ear when I'm driving. My wife sitting in passenger seat can barely make it out.

Sometimes it stops for few minutes if I open and close the door. Sometimes, just punching the window glass helps for few minutes.

Much less frequently, I observe rattling from near the center console as well. I have nothing in the storage bin there and still it happens occasionally.

Are any of you guys having similar issues? Any idea what could be causing it?

It seems that I remember reading somewhere, maybe even here, that the black trim panels that cover the outside of the b (c) pillars are held on partially with double sticky tape and that tape can lose it's grip and let the trim flap a bit.
I'll see if I can find that info.

Last edited:
Well, I could not find the article or post or picture or video or...
But! I did find in the service manual how to take the trim off. (first)

garnish.png

This is my wife's vehicle. I drive it occasionally . I asked her awhile back if she her a rattle that seems to come from the windshield area. She said no, but I definitely hear it. I remember asking her if she noticed a problem with the left side speaker fading out at times. She never noticed that either. I tracked that trouble to the GPS. It was on but GPS volume was as low as it gets. Apparently the gps sends voice instructions to the left speaker and interrupts any other signal going there, hence the left speaker cutting out while listening to music. Back to rattle, it sounds like the windshield is rattling for sure.

i also hear the slight rattle in the center console, cannot figure out where its coming from. anybody figured out how to fix it?

Try securing sun visor or open it up to ~45 degree angle. It did rattle in mine especially at the beginning.

Also there should be cushioning between bottom of B pillar and center console. Early CX-5 had rattles from there.

You might try to insert folder piece of paper to isolate this area.

Taking it to dealer tomorrow for first oil change. Planning to discuss the rattles as well.

I have a strong feeling the rattles will magically disappear as I pull up into the Service entrance.

And reappear the day after tomorrow when I'm out for a long drive.

I had a rattle that drove me nuts for months. It sounded like it was coming from somewhere between the instrument cluster and the speaker near the windshield. To my surprise, when I finally found it by accident, it turned out to be the panel door right next the the gas pedal!! Totally sounds like its coming from the dash area! o_O

I have the rattle that someone phrased as sounding like "coins in an ashtray" coming from the rear. After careful inspection, I believe its coming from behind the interior plastic panel that runs across the top of the rear window. If you tap on it, you can hear something moving around behind the panel. I intend to bring it up when I go in for the first oil change.

Also, very intermittently, there is a small rattle coming from the shroud around the 7" touchscreen. If you lightly press down on the flat piece on the bottom in front of the screen, it goes away.

No rattles at all in the 13 CX-5. Sorry can't be of help. Whats weird is my 16 Mazda6 developed a rattle right below the infotainment display screen area within 1 week. Lasted for months until I just noticed the rattle is gone. Not sure if my dealer added some padding during 1st oil change?

Also, very intermittently, there is a small rattle coming from the shroud around the 7" touchscreen. If you lightly press down on the flat piece on the bottom in front of the screen, it goes away.

I think it has to do with the air-con vent? I had the same some time ago and after fiddling with the blower, the slight rattling noise went away.

I have the exact same rattle. Goes away when I press on the bottom of the screen or on the a/c control knobs or in the general area. Driving me nuts these days. Did you guys manage to fix this permanently?

I have the exact same rattle. Goes away when I press on the bottom of the screen or on the a/c control knobs or in the general area. Driving me nuts these days. Did you guys manage to fix this permanently?

Anybody found a solution for this? seriously, its taking the fun out of driving this car..(notcool)

Still have the rattle. Haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer.
Sorry to hear your rattle problems are still there. Hopefully your dealer is good enough finding the sources of rattles.

I had a rattle that drove me nuts for months. It sounded like it was coming from somewhere between the instrument cluster and the speaker near the windshield. To my surprise, when I finally found it by accident, it turned out to be the panel door right next the the gas pedal!! Totally sounds like its coming from the dash area! o_O
I have a similar rattle going on right now in my car. I figure the car will rattle a bit more when it's 10degrees out vs 60F outside. I'll have to check the fuse cover door next time I hear it

I have a similar rattle going on right now in my car. I figure the car will rattle a bit more when it's 10degrees out vs 60F outside. I'll have to check the fuse cover door next time I hear it

This is what I observed too. I get these rattles when temperature is below 45, which luckily for me doesn't happen often in Texas.

Still haven't found a solution.

Back