High performance SUV Tesla Model X in production

But how many people with that kind of money go car-camping? It's more of a grocery getter, commuter, pick up the kids, mountain bike ride, etc. kind of car.

You see some crazy stuff at times... I see some awfully expensive sedans on roads never meant for them in the forest. There is an area over Snoqualmie Pass I am in quite a bit that Russians and Eastern Europeans frequent to pick some kind of mushroom. Many are driving up some roads some would consider quasi skid roads. I wish I had a picture of the late model BMW 750 xDrive high centered on road water bar put in by the Forest Service. I pulled them off of it with my Jeep but cringed at the ensuing scraping sounds getting it off the water bar.

Latest Consumer Reports auto survey finds that the Model S has too many problems to recommend

Tesla Motors’ all-electric Model S sedan got high marks in Consumer Reports’ 50-plus tests involving driving dynamics and livability, and it consumed energy at the electric equivalent of 84 miles per gallon (87 MPGe in the P85D trim). It’s the best-performing car we’ve ever tested.

But its predicted reliability is another matter.

As part of our Annual Auto Reliability Survey, we received about 1,400 survey responses from Model S owners who chronicled an array of detailed and complicated maladies. From that data we forecast that owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate. That’s a step down from last year’s “average” prediction for the Model S. It also means the Model S does not receive Consumer Reports’ recommended designation. (To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.)

Tesla shares slide 9% after Consumer Reports drops Model S recommendation

"Overall, infotainment systems topped the list of problems reported by new car owners, Consumer Reports said. The magazine also spotted an emerging trend of increased troubles with new transmission systems developed to improve fuel economy."

"Toyota Motor Corp. Lexus brand won top reliability marks, with parent Toyota 7203, -0.49% securing the No. 2 spot. Volkswagen AG’s VOW, -1.98% VLKAY, -2.13% Audi, Mazda Motor Corp. 7261, -0.62% and Subaru Co. Ltd. 9778, +0.00% rounded the top five spots.

Last edited:

Mitsubishi Mirage Skipping 2016 Model Year, But Like a Phoenix, It Will Rise Again

Mirage G4 in the meantime...

2015-Mitsubishi-Attrage-front-three-quarter-white-626x260.jpg

That small overlap front test doesn't look very comfortable...

Perhaps they are doing a crash redesign for the '17? Mirage does fairly well except for that test.

api-rating-image.ashx

api-rating-image.ashx

api-rating-image.ashx

Last edited:
gotta be honest, I guess I'm kinda old school.

The Tesla has piqued my interest and I even kicked it's tires when shopping for my car, but I still feel like it's too new, and am kinda scared of being the guinea pig.

That being said, I think they are VERY attractive looking cars and the interior/touchscreen google interface look pretty legit.

I thought NHTSA had issued their report on Audi's "sudden unintended acceleration" problem and NHTA's findings fully exonerated Audi in 1989? The report concluded that the Audi's pedal placement was different enough, and closer to each other, from American cars' normal set-up to cause some drivers to mistakenly press the gas instead of the brake. I always believe brake should be able to overcome engine power, hence the driver should be able to stop the car when sudden unintended acceleration happens. Those incidences on Audi 5000 had to be driver's error!

CBS 60 Minutes' report on Audi 5000 sudden unintended acceleration is like Consumer Reports' Isuzu Trooper rollover issue, they only killed a hot-selling vehicle with questionable test report which misled the public!

Back