High performance SUV Tesla Model X in production

It occurs to me that if they're going to advertise this as the ultimate capable suv, they'll have to sell some kind of portable power similar to carrying around a gas can.
I agree, or at least provide for solar panels built into the roof that can help keep up the charge ala the Fisker Karma

Actually for my normal driving and even to my cabin I could utilize a Tesla without range anxiety.
I think this is true for many people. I only have a 22 mile commute, so most EV's can make that (both ways) easily. The problem is, if companies are selling EV's as a true gas alternative, then people should be able to travel with them. Like craigo was saying, explore with them. Road trip across the country with them. The infrastructure just isn't there for that type of owner...yet, but there are people working on it.

Personally, I'd love to buy an electric motorcycle. There are a few companies who have decent one's, not great in the power department and ride time is low...but once the issues are sorted and the costs come down a bit, I'm all over it.

I don't think a little EU2000i is going to do much for charging a Tesla. They (Tesla) recommend a 240v outlet. IF you can charge on 120v, the time cost wouldn't be worth it.

You got that right. But the bigger issue is it is utterly ridiculous to charge an electric car with fossil fuel. The way to do it properly is with electricity generated from solar, wind, nuclear or hydro-electric.

A lot of the cost of an EV is in the batteries which are getting cheaper all the time. When Tesla finishes the largest battery manufacturing plant in the world (right here creating US jobs), the price will drop dramatically. The haters and naysayers complain about the toxicity and environmental degradation of the used batteries without even considering that part of the electric revolution is the nearly 100% recyclable nature of batteries. As the old batteries are recycled for their metal content the price of new batteries will drop further. Funny thing is, the people I see complaining about the environmental disaster of all those batteries are the same people that really don't care about the environment. They just hate change.

If people had to pay the TRUE cost of fossil fuel cars/trucks, the middle class couldn't afford them either. Instead, following generations will be paying the price.

+1. Very good post.

For those who have trouble understanding the basics, go to nearest GAS Station and read the warnings what gasoline really is and can do to you before it is burned.

Did anyone know that 50% of the people in this country do not pay taxes. Source is AM 580 on the Jordan Levy show.

I love Tesla.

That was probably refering to Federal Income Tax.

Congressional Budget Office report, individual income taxes, the top 40 percent of wage earners in America pay 106 percent of the taxes. The bottom 40 percent...pay negative 9 percent.

Top 20% pay 92.9% of Federal taxes.
The Richest 1 Percent of Americans Pay 24 Percent of Federal Taxes
The CBO report shows the middle class paid an effective rate of 11.2 percent in 2011. The rich paid almost three times the effective rate comparably.

BTW no one has ever defined "There fair share"

Thank God for the rich because a poor man never gave me a job.

http://www.cnbc.com/2013/12/11/the-rich-do-not-pay-the-most-taxes-they-pay-all-the-taxes.html
http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/13/richest-1-percent-americans-pay-24-percent-federal-taxes/
http://www.heritage.org/research/re...p-20-percent-pay-record-share-of-income-taxes

That was probably refering to Federal Income Tax.
I don't want to turn this into a Tax thread, but those are some seriously skewed reports. Your taxes are based on your earnings, and as a ratio of earnings/taxes paid, the poor and middle class pay a disproportionate amount. Don't fall for the hype, do your research and you will see.

I don't want to turn this into a Tax thread, but those are some seriously skewed reports. Your taxes are based on your earnings, and as a ratio of earnings/taxes paid, the poor and middle class pay a disproportionate amount. Don't fall for the hype, do your research and you will see.

The reports are showing the source of the Governments tax money. Example. The Richest 1 Percent of Americans Pay 24 Percent of Federal Taxes. In other words, the The very rich supply a lot of money to the Federal government. I agree that the poor spend a higher percentage of there income on sales tax, local taxes, food, transportation ETC but they pay NO federal income tax. NONE, Zero, Nothing. The poor receive money FROM the government. The report is from the Congressional Budget Office. It is a Federal Government report. Back to Mazda. If I paid $30K for my CX-5 and I make 50K a year and someone else paid $30K and makes $200K That is not Mazdas fault, or my fault, that is just math. The poor have less money, therefor they pay a disproportionate amount for everything.

Summery
Poor Zero percent
Middle class 11.2%
Rich 30%

Lowest tax bracket in the US is currently right around 3%. If you receive a pay check, then you pay at least that amount. No one in this country (legally) pays 0% tax.
-Unless you farm your earnings out to other countries (like Apple) Most poor cannot afford to do this...
That being said, I won't add any more to this conversation as it takes away from the intent of the thread.

ffs....please start another thread on taxes & politics if you wish to continue your discussion.

What it's like to drive the Tesla Model X:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/what-its-like-to-drive-the-tesla-model-x-1733675672

I like the cool sound made by the gull wing doors as they open/close. It sounds like what one might expect in a futuristic spacecraft and almost makes up for the fact that we are not all flying around in VTOL cars like I was promised in my childhood by the futurists of the 1960's. Also like the looks on their faces as he uses "ludicrous" power mode. Priceless.

Last edited:
Check the 1040 instructions. If your lemonade stand owner is single with no kids, the self employment tax that kicks in at $400 in net income will always exceed his earned income credit. If he were not self employed or if he had kids, he could make quite a bit more without paying a dime in federal taxes. For example, a couple with two kids can make $33,000 in wages tax free without doing anything special. even more if they have an IRA or medical or child care savings account. That number goes way up, if you're only talking about income tax, not social security tax.

According to the Tax Policy Center, 43.3 percent of American households paid no federal income tax in 2013,

I guess the hitch is a requirement for cargo with the gull wings. I'm sure design will grow on me in time..not really feeling it on that end but the tech is outstanding as I would expect.

section-allwheel.jpg

I guess the hitch is a requirement for cargo with the gull wings. I'm sure design will grow on me in time..not really feeling it on that end but the tech is outstanding as I would expect.

I'm curious why you think the gull wing doors negatively impact cargo carrying capacity?

Tesla says they developed the doors specifically for easier ingress/egress of people, baby seats and other bulky items claiming they have the biggest unobstructed opening in the industry. Personally I would load skis inside the car (via the rear cargo hatch) to avoid corrosion of the fine mechanisms inside the ski binding that protect against blown knees and broken legs. I do this with my CX-5 with up to 4 people and the Model X is considerably larger.

It just occurred to me that you meant no roof mounted ski racks. And that is probably true. But even with no racks, the Model X can carry more stuff than a CX-5 loaded with all exterior accessories because the interior volume is so much larger. There really isn't an engine bay so cargo can be loaded in the front (like a rear engine vehicle) AND in the back (like a front engine vehicle). This is a very roomy vehicle so a lack of racks is not that big of a deal.

It looks like Tesla did engineer a couple of roof racks for the Model X:
attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks like Tesla did engineer a couple of roof racks for the Model X:

Why not a simple 4 bar link system to move the roof rack to the ground behind the car for easy loading and unloading? Yes, I am joking. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I like the Tesla a lot and I hope thy become very popular.

Back