Anyone 3D Printing?

The wife has always drawn stick figure imagery (hand drawn and digital) for me for special occasions, wishing me a good day, etc. She does a really good job of expressing emotion in 2D. I thought I would pay tribute to her love of the stick figure and 3D print her a 2016 Valentine 'card'. Me giving her My Heart...

bmv10.jpg

If this goes viral on Internet you'll all makes us look like runners up on V day!! :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The wife has always drawn stick figure imagery (hand drawn and digital) for me for special occasions, wishing me a good day, etc. She does a really good job of expressing emotion in 2D. I thought I would pay tribute to her love of the stick figure and 3D print her a 2016 Valentine 'card'. Me giving her My Heart...

bmv10.jpg

Just one small problem.... you don't look too happy there. Looks like she's stealing your heart and you're reluctant to let it go. :D

I finished building and getting my 3D printer up and running this week. It is a Prusa i3 type. Still working on getting everything tuned and calibrated.

Wow, that's impressive! (cool)

If I had a 3D printer I'd create an insert of some sort for a front passenger armrest... install it on the current cupholder or something.

An idea. 3D print a heat shield for short RAM intakes. You can then wrap said shield in foil insulation tape.

Just a quick heads up to anyone thinking about getting a 3D printer, something that most people don't think about, make sure the printer is in a well ventilated area or in the garage, you are after all melting plastic and it gives off fumes, very tiny but you don't want you or your family breathing in that stuff, some 3D models will take hours to complete so the fumes do add up and can cause headaches or sore throats, just my 2 cents..... My company got the Makerbot and the Dremel 3D printer from Home Depot, the Dremel works better, the Makerbot either keeps getting clogged or the model comes out really bad. We keep both of them in a closed room with an exhaust fan direct to the roof just to be safe and employees don't breathe in fumes. Both vendors say it's safe to just use the machines in the office area as is but do a quick search online about melting plastics for rapid prototying.

We're actually going to move on to desktop CNC machining where you can actually make "real" parts out of metal.

Can mill 6061 aluminum and copper
Cost is $4000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13872p-UynI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrVnfmuYrA

Last edited:
Made a set of center caps for someone on the forum for his steel wheels for his cx-5 winter wheel setup. Hopefully they are holding up...

centcapfront.JPG

Just a quick heads up to anyone thinking about getting a 3D printer, something that most people don't think about, make sure the printer is in a well ventilated area or in the garage, you are after all melting plastic and it gives off fumes, very tiny but you don't want you or your family breathing in that stuff, some 3D models will take hours to complete so the fumes do add up and can cause headaches or sore throats, just my 2 cents..... My company got the Makerbot and the Dremel 3D printer from Home Depot, the Dremel works better, the Makerbot either keeps getting clogged or the model comes out really bad. We keep both of them in a closed room with an exhaust fan direct to the roof just to be safe and employees don't breathe in fumes. Both vendors say it's safe to just use the machines in the office area as is but do a quick search online about melting plastics for rapid prototying.

We're actually going to move on to desktop CNC machining where you can actually make "real" parts out of metal.

Can mill 6061 aluminum and copper
Cost is $4000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13872p-UynI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrVnfmuYrA

wow, that desktop CNC machine is pretty cool, can make actual parts for car or fix things around the house, problem though is have to keep stock metal blanks around for emergency, whereas the 3D printer just needs spools of plastic string.......

I've been printing and selling real parts for a few years now. Enough to pay for the machine many times over. On track to buy another this year. I can design and print parts that can't be machined, often using one printed part that would take a half dozen machined parts to machine.

BTW. I print plastic but I have sent files to other companies that can print stainless steel. One company prints stainless steel hand guns making every part except the springs they do it with no post machining at all.

Back