Anyone 3D Printing?

CX5-SO

CX-5 SPOUSE
:
2013 CX-5 Touring AWD A-T
I made this months ago and planned to make a more detailed version later on but never did.

Finished product:

cx5printed.jpg

An image example:

body2d.jpg

A .stl example:

body3d.jpg

The files, all zipped up, if anyone wants to print and/or modify their own:

http://www.ky-escaper.com/cx5/3d/cx53d.zip

Great job, thanks for sharing it, I'll try to print it with my Prusa I3.

Will be great to share all our 3D designs related to our Mazda with the comunity, soon I'll try to do a phone holder for the dashboard.

That's really cool. I've been considering buying a 3d printer for the office but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll likely do that soon.

3d print a box that goes from the OEM intake hole to the cone portion of a cs/jbr intake.. they would sell people are asking for air boxes for those, cx-5 and mz3 (especially)

The TIKO looks to be a VERY interesting machine!! A review will be mandatory once you get going with yours!

From what I understand, mass market 3d printing plastics will not stand up to the environment (heat, vibration) in an engine compartment.

If I'm wrong, please correct me with details.

CX5-SO: Will definitely post a review... probably won't ship until Q1 of '16.

RedBaron: You are probably right about engine applications being the exception

The wife said she was tired of things sliding/rolling out of the ill designed center console cubby and asked if there was something she/we could do. Fired up the 3d printing factory in my room (lol2) and churned out an insert that seems to have satisfied her. I printed with some fairly crappy filament I'm trying to get rid of, at a mid quality setting, to do the test print, so the final print she ends up with will look much better, especially with a smoothing and satin clear coat. Also, pay no attention to the looks of her ride, the last few days she has been dealing with the death, funeral and burial of an aunt. The cemetery is at the end of a long dirt/mud road.
The flat of the insert is made to ride up on top of the rubber insert's ridge, so to hold the printed insert, one will have to apply double foam tape (maybe command strips) to the bottom of the printed insert thick enough to fill the small gap that will be there. The front bottom of the printed insert could maybe have a properly sized block of dense black foam or a couple or three self stick rubber feet attached, to hold it at proper level. Anyway...
Hard to get good pics of shiny black plastic without good lighting, or good lighting techniques, but, here goes...

insert01.jpg

insert02.jpg

Model pics:

insert03.jpg

insert04.jpg

With a divider:

insert05.jpg

And the .stl files zipped up, incase someone here wants to print one.
The insert is: X: 190mm Y: 160mm & Z: 26mm

http://www.ky-escaper.com/cx5/centercubby/insertstlfiles.zip

That is so awesome!!! This is the kind of thing about 3D printing that has me so excited. We can read about a mod... but experience it as well if we choose.

I am still waiting for my Tiko!!!

I would seriously consider buying a 3d printed a pillar cover with 2 or 3 2" (52mm) gauge holes..

Great Kedis82ZE8, I have supported the Tiko campaign as well, and still waiting for my pre-series unit, in my case probably does't arrive until 2nd Q of 2016

A phone cradle, that holds the phone horizontally, with a wireless charging pad on it's back. USB cable would go into my Kenwood and have mirroring. The problem is that I can't do cad drawing. We have a printer at work.

From what I understand, mass market 3d printing plastics will not stand up to the environment (heat, vibration) in an engine compartment.

If I'm wrong, please correct me with details.

Your right, but the part can be designed and printed and tested, then it can be sent off to a number of vendors who can print high temp plastics or even metals such as stainless steel.
I have seen a 3D printed plastic part on a antique engine that held a gear and drove the distributor. Worked fine.

Here is a outfit that I have used. They have printed a working Stainless Steel gun (They are a licensed gun manufacturer)

https://www.stratasysdirect.com/blog/3d-printed-metal-gun-500-round-torture-test/

The wife said she was tired of things sliding/rolling out of the ill designed center console cubby and asked if there was something she/we could do. Fired up the 3d printing factory in my room (lol2) and churned out an insert that seems to have satisfied her. I printed with some fairly crappy filament I'm trying to get rid of, at a mid quality setting, to do the test print, so the final print she ends up with will look much better, especially with a smoothing and satin clear coat. Also, pay no attention to the looks of her ride, the last few days she has been dealing with the death, funeral and burial of an aunt. The cemetery is at the end of a long dirt/mud road.
The flat of the insert is made to ride up on top of the rubber insert's ridge, so to hold the printed insert, one will have to apply double foam tape (maybe command strips) to the bottom of the printed insert thick enough to fill the small gap that will be there. The front bottom of the printed insert could maybe have a properly sized block of dense black foam or a couple or three self stick rubber feet attached, to hold it at proper level. Anyway...
Hard to get good pics of shiny black plastic without good lighting, or good lighting techniques, but, here goes...

insert01.jpg

insert02.jpg

Model pics:

insert03.jpg

insert04.jpg

With a divider:

insert05.jpg

And the .stl files zipped up, incase someone here wants to print one.
The insert is: X: 190mm Y: 160mm & Z: 26mm

http://www.ky-escaper.com/cx5/centercubby/insertstlfiles.zip

I just ordered one if these and it is awesome for the price.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...62,searchweb201560_6,searchweb1451318400_6151

Last edited:
thanks for the link CX5-QC... I look forward to hearing about it when you install it.

Back