Paddle Shift Install - 2016 CX-5

You are saying, that you push a tab to the left and then pull the hole assembly upwards.
I don't see, which tab should I push to the left.
There are small vertical tabs with a lip that overlaps the structure of the wheel itself. You need to carefully push those to the side slightly to release them.

I have managed to remove them, but in the process, I have broken off a tab, at each switch pod. The long one, that grabs to the steering wheel, next to the long pin.
There are pins sticking out, that are pushed in some rubber grommets, so they won't come out easily at all.
The pins that go through the grommets are tight, but they will slide with pressure.

The back cover that I have ordered, does not fit to my '14(GJS2-32-049). I need to find the right one, if anybody knows which one I should buy, I would be grateful.
I'm not sure about the '14, but that number is for a '16 (GJS2-32-049).

Edit: From the '14 paddle shift thread (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...How-to-PADDLE-SHIFT-Retrofit-(Mazda-CX-5-2-0) ) , looks like they list part number "Cover BHN932049C02" for the cover. See post #10. I can't say for sure if that is correct though.

Last edited:
After reading many threads and forums, it seems like the BHN should be the right one. It's much cheaper as well.
I will get one and we will see how it fits.
Thank you.

It is much easier, to remove the rear cover first and then can be easily accessed the tab and the pins of the pods.
It is in the service manual as well.
You need to use some plastic trim remover and poke between the rear cover and the steering wheel. After releasing the tabs, try pulling up the rear cover, with the trim remover.
There is a tab under the switch pod and another, under the wire harness, same on the other side.

It is much easier, to remove the rear cover first and then can be easily accessed the tab and the pins of the pods.
It is in the service manual as well.
You need to use some plastic trim remover and poke between the rear cover and the steering wheel. After releasing the tabs, try pulling up the rear cover, with the trim remover.
There is a tab under the switch pod and another, under the wire harness, same on the other side.

Do you have any pictures of what you are talking about here? I'm a little lost as to what parts your talking about. Are you saying its easier to remove the airbag pod if you remove the rear cover of the steering wheel first?

I am going to do the install this weekend. On my 2016 I have the radar cruise control so I am not sure if I need to get a different part # than what the OP shows?

Last edited:
I am having a hard time finding these "service holes" in order to release the air bag assembly.

There are numerous holes in the back of the steering wheel.

What size tool is needed, which direction does the tool need to be turned, and can someone take a pic of where these service holes are exactly at in the back of the steering wheel?

Did you try turning the steering wheel? Only this way you will reach all three holes. As described in the DIY, that allen wrench is a good tool to use.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123851561-Paddle-Shift-Install-2016-CX-5
These three points are the access holes:
1_zps7669675a.jpg

If I remember correctly, you just have to push the tool in and try pulling on the airbag at that corner.
The hardest time I had removing the switch pods. It is much easier if you remove the back cover of the steering wheel cover. There are a couple of tabs that have to be pried to pop off. One is under the switch pods for example.

Last edited:
Ive had the paddle shifters on my Diesel GT for a few weeks now and there pretty nice to use (even the wife is using them now).
Ordered all the parts required from japan parts, they arrived within 5 days and fitting it all took me about an hour.

The hardest time I had removing the switch pods. It is much easier if you remove the back cover of the steering wheel cover. There are a couple of tabs that have to be pried to pop off. One is under the switch pods for example.

The K105-V7-481 had TWO wire connectors. I only see the need to use one. Why did they include two sets of wires?

Everything was put together and the paddle shifts WORK!!! It was well worth the effort and time.

Putting the wires into the connectors was sort of a pain.

The paddle shifters make downshifting a lot easier especially when climbing grades or in hilly country it helps to put the engine into a lower gear when going downhill.

Last edited:
Just curious guys, how would this modification affect a new car warranty?

Just curious guys, how would this modification affect a new car warranty?

I can't see how since it's all OEM Mazda parts and it does nothing except allow for manual shifting like they do on the 3's and 6's.

Good to hear, that it works great.
For me, the hardest part it was, taking the switch pods out of the steering wheel.
It's a great feature for sure. Sometimes, I down shift two gears, if I need to pick up speed.
About the warranty, if you would have some warranty work on the steering wheel hardware, or transmission, they may say that since you have worked there, it may be your fault.
I don't expect to have any issues, I trust my car that is a good car, at least for the first three years, respectively five for the transmission. After that, is no more warranty worry.

Yep, one really good thing about this mod is that all of the parts are OEM and provided by Mazda. Also, Mazda offer all of these parts as a kit in japan, for the same purpose (paddle shift) on CX-5. So I find it hard that Mazda would then say that their published kit (it's in the Mazda japan accessory catalog) is incompatible with their car. I think this one gets a pass on the worry meter.

Quick update for those looking at Japanparts.com, here are the links for the two parts that Srad600 sourced from there.

K015-V7-481 (Paddle Shift SW Harness): https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/47311

D10J-V7-480 (Rear Cover + Small screws for steering wheel + Steering Wheel Bolt): https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/47561

I'm going to be placing my parts order today. All up cost for all 4 parts is just about $200 even.

GJS2-66-3P0B: $85.72 (multiple online vendors with very similar pricing)
BNK8-66-4M2: $23.27 (multiple online vendors with very similar pricing)
K015-V7-481: $28.90 (changes based on exchange rate)
D10J-V7-480: $53.55 (changes based on exchange rate)

Last edited:
Back