Mazda5 Shopping - Overly Noisy Engine (2013 Touring - 25k miles)

Wrightboy

:
Mazda5
Hello!

The wife is pregnant with our first and we're looking to get a small family car. My wife is 5' even, and this seems to be the perfect car for her, and after much watching we think we've finally found one with low miles for a decent price.

It was a fleet vehicle and has about 25k miles on it, everything seems great except the engine is a little chatter box and I took a video to capture the noise.

The salesman said it was pretty standard, but even my truck isn't that "tappy". It's not too loud, so you can't hear it much with the hood down, but with it up it's very noticeable as seen in the video.

Does this seem okay? Or should I stay away?

My wife is really looking forward to owning one of these.

Thanks!

(Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum, it didn't seem quite worthy to post in the Engine sub forum since it seemed like more of a general mazda engines question)

From what I can tell, the engine sounds normal. Is this vehicle being sold by a Mazda dealer? If not, maybe have it inspected by your local Mazda dealer or a trusted mechanic. Also call Mazda USA and have them run the VIN# to see if there are any open recalls or TSBs that haven't been performed. It's free to do that and only takes a few mins.

My wife is 4'11" and I'm 5'4" so the MZ5 was a perfect fit for our family as well. We had little one January of this year, and so far having the sliding doors has been extremely helpful when loading the baby up in confined quarters (garage and tight parking areas). Since my wife and I are short, there are no issues with having adequate room for the rear-facing car seat. We're very glad there was this niche vehicle for a smaller growing family. A regular-sized minivan is a tadbit on the big side and more intimidating to drive around for my wife.

Hope you find a good MZ5...and congrats on your little one!

Last edited:
From what I can tell, the engine sounds normal. Is this vehicle being sold by a Mazda dealer? If not, maybe have it inspected by your local Mazda dealer or a trusted mechanic. Also call Mazda USA and have them run the VIN# to see if there are any open recalls or TSBs that haven't been performed. It's free to do that and only takes a few mins.

Fascinating, I've just never thought that rapid light "ticking" was normal for a car and figured lifters/injectors were having issues.

But thanks for the peace of mind.

It's sadly not from a Mazda dealership, I went to a couple of them but they only had the touring in new, and my wife really wants the backup sensors and BT.

I'm not sure if they'd let me run off with it to have it inspected, but they offer 72 hour buyback protection so I could probably have it checked out in that time frame. Although I'm not even sure where I would take it (shrug)

Also, is it recommend to purchase any additional warranty with the 5's? It has the remaining factory 3yr/30k b2b and 5yr/60k powertrain, but that's definitely closing in.

Really appreciate it!

Maybe you just need a new tensioner pulley. I have heard that the cheap stock plastic pulley can rattle a bit. Wouldn't be surprised.

Fascinating, I've just never thought that rapid light "ticking" was normal for a car and figured lifters/injectors were having issues.

But thanks for the peace of mind.

It's sadly not from a Mazda dealership, I went to a couple of them but they only had the touring in new, and my wife really wants the backup sensors and BT.

I'm not sure if they'd let me run off with it to have it inspected, but they offer 72 hour buyback protection so I could probably have it checked out in that time frame. Although I'm not even sure where I would take it (shrug)

Also, is it recommend to purchase any additional warranty with the 5's? It has the remaining factory 3yr/30k b2b and 5yr/60k powertrain, but that's definitely closing in.

Really appreciate it!

Honestly you could probably negotiate a brand new Grand Touring for not much more. The used resale on them are quite high but Mazda doesn't move very many of them off the lots and 2015 is the final year so they are willing to deal just to be done with them. I'd suggest getting the GT for lumbar support - the cloth seats are terrible for comfort IMO.

Honestly you could probably negotiate a brand new Grand Touring for not much more. The used resale on them are quite high but Mazda doesn't move very many of them off the lots and 2015 is the final year so they are willing to deal just to be done with them. I'd suggest getting the GT for lumbar support - the cloth seats are terrible for comfort IMO.

Oh I wish! And I tried a few times, the lowest I could get for a 2015 GT was 22k, this used one comes in just under 17k and that's really all I can do right now.

I just bought a 2014 Grand Touring with 16000 miles in upstate NY for $18600. My local dealer got realy close with a 2015 touring and the $2000 (end of model year cash) plus the $500 Mazda Loyalty money. i did have a trade-in 2008 Mazda5 with 64000 miles. The Mazda dealer offered me $600 more on the trade for the new Touring than the used car dealer did for the 2014 Grand Touring. In the end I wanted the Grand Touring and the 16000 miles didn't figure to be a problem for me as I don't run the milage up quickly.

I wouldn't worry about the sound of the engine at 25000 miles, but I would have someone look at it before I did the deal. Your probably under Mazda's warranty for a while yet as well.

Best of Luck with your purchase.

I just bought a 2014 Grand Touring with 16000 miles in upstate NY for $18600. My local dealer got realy close with a 2015 touring and the $2000 (end of model year cash) plus the $500 Mazda Loyalty money. i did have a trade-in 2008 Mazda5 with 64000 miles. The Mazda dealer offered me $600 more on the trade for the new Touring than the used car dealer did for the 2014 Grand Touring. In the end I wanted the Grand Touring and the 16000 miles didn't figure to be a problem for me as I don't run the milage up quickly.

I wouldn't worry about the sound of the engine at 25000 miles, but I would have someone look at it before I did the deal. Your probably under Mazda's warranty for a while yet as well.

Best of Luck with your purchase.

That sounds like a deal!

Sadly when I showed up at the dealership last weekend I discovered that someone had phoned in a deposit and later purchased the car. Back to square one.

Back