Going to see a 5 - what to look for?

acb13013

Hi All,

I'm going this Sunday to check out a 2012 Sport manual. Can anyone recommend trouble spots to look for? The car I'm seeing has over 60k miles. Any help is appreciated.

'12 Sport manual experience

I have this exact model, currently at about 53,000. Only issues have been a failed motor mount, spilling fuel when topping up the tank, sticky shifter, and brake vibration. Also had a bad sensor that threw a CEL. Sensor and motor mount fixed under warranty. I'll get to the brakes when they are due for replacement. I have a thread on this forum about the other 2 issues.

I'd look at tire wear, condition of struts, check maintenance history.

All in all, not too bad. Currently averaging 28mpg with mix of highway and city. I installed an UltraGauge computer (plugs into OBD) to track fuel status, mpg, power, etc.

Good luck. JMJ

Last edited:
Thanks, JMJ. Just before I was going to see this car, a 2013 with 24k miles showed up for only a couple thousand more and I bought it! The car is pristine - all service done at the dealer, still under factory warranty, and clearly the owner kept it in a garage and rarely parked it on the street. Poor thing doesn't know what it's in for...

Thanks, JMJ. Just before I was going to see this car, a 2013 with 24k miles showed up for only a couple thousand more and I bought it! The car is pristine - all service done at the dealer, still under factory warranty, and clearly the owner kept it in a garage and rarely parked it on the street. Poor thing doesn't know what it's in for...
Congrats! I can SOOOO relate to this statement. Mine was also a pristine NNJ car and now it's got dents/dings/chips galore (none of it is my doing)! Its sad to look at/think about :(

Back