Electronic Parking Brake: What If You Are Moving?

:
2015 CX-5 GT
I have a 2015 with the pull handle parking brake. If I had to, I could slow some by pulling up on it. What happens on the 2016 with the Electronic Parking Brake? Does it not do anything if you are moving? Does it try to brake as hard as it can? Since it is advertised as "electronic", can it vary the effort to stop the car?

I have a 2015 with the pull handle parking brake. If I had to, I could slow some by pulling up on it. What happens on the 2016 with the Electronic Parking Brake? Does it not do anything if you are moving? Does it try to brake as hard as it can? Since it is advertised as "electronic", can it vary the effort to stop the car?

Something makes me guess the electronic brake works only in park(and maybe neutral)?

Use your feet instead. (lol2)

images

Page 4-76 of the 2016 CX-5 OM:

If the electric parking brake switch is
continually pulled while driving the vehicle,
the electric parking brake will be applied
and the electric parking brake warning
beep will be activated. When the switch is
released, the electric parking brake is
released and the beep stops.

Page 4-76 of the 2016 CX-5 OM:

If the electric parking brake switch is
continually pulled while driving the vehicle,
the electric parking brake will be applied
and the electric parking brake warning
beep will be activated. When the switch is
released, the electric parking brake is
released and the beep stops.

I stand corrected.

In the 2016 sales brochure, on page 16, it says Electronic Parking Brake, which make no sense. It would have to be electric. I wondered myself while making this post and that was the only source I had to look at.

I've tried it first hand (in the dirt mind you) and I was able to do an e-brake turn at low speed, so it does work...although the beep is very loud and annoying...making it clear Mazda doesn't want you to do this.

...sent...

I've tried it first hand (in the dirt mind you) and I was able to do an e-brake turn at low speed, so it does work...although the beep is very loud and annoying...making it clear Mazda doesn't want you to do this.

...sent...

out of curiosity.. how long did you have to hold the e-brake button until it engaged?

you know.. handbrake turns are very important.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EwkbSZlcxkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love Top Gear

I didnt have to hold it very long...fraction of a second? There is a lag compared to a mechanical e-brake, but its pretty short.

Saw a cold weather TSB the other day....

http://oemdtc.com/18619/electric-par...016-mazda-cx-5

2016 CX-5 – ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE (EPB) WARNING LIGHT ON / EPB WILL NOT RELEASE IN COLD WEATHER

DTC Description
C112A:77 Incorrect electric parking brake motor gear unit position
C2005:07 Mechanical problem of electric parking brake motor gear unit (RH)
C2005:19* Electric parking brake motor gear unit (RH) circuit malfunction
C2005:74 Electric parking brake motor gear unit (RH) power transmission impossible (spin)
C2006:07 Mechanical problem of electric parking brake motor gear unit (LH)
C2006:19* Electric parking brake motor gear unit (LH) circuit malfunction
C2006:74 Electric parking brake motor gear unit (LH) power transmission impossible (spin)
NOTE: * DTCs C2005:19 and/or C2006:19 should ALWAYS be present. If neither DTC is present, this bulletin is NOT applicable to the subject vehicle. Proceed with normal troubleshooting procedures according to MS3 online or the workshop manual.

This condition occurs when pressing the EPB switch to release the electric parking brake, however, the EPB will not release.

This concern may be caused by the EPB motor gear unit (A) dimensions being out of specification. The machining dimensions of EPB motor gear unit have been improved to eliminate this concern.

It's "Electric" Parking Brake, not "Electronic" Parking Brake... ;)

Actually, either term can be considered correct.

"Electronic" is a subset of electric and denotes logic circuits or, at a minimum, oscillators and the like. Because the handbrake is controlled by computer logic (it doesn't simply energize when you turn on the switch) it is electronically controlled.

Anyone crawled under car to see how well unit is protected from the elements? I am curious about long term durability of these types of units. I wonder if there is a manual way to release tension on the mechanism should it fail while engaged?

Electrical Parking Brake: What If You Are Moving?

Parking brake is driven by electrical motor controlled by car computers instead of mechanical cable pulled by hand brake handle, hence "Electrical" Parking Brake. Electrons themselves can't do the pulling and stopping.

Anyone crawled under car to see how well unit is protected from the elements? I am curious about long term durability of these types of units. I wonder if there is a manual way to release tension on the mechanism should it fail while engaged?

Had a quick look at it while installing my hitch. The actual brake is exactly the same, the only difference is the cable no longer runs to the handle in the console, but to an actuator which is between the brake and rear differential.

Another tidbit, if the "handbrake" button is actuated while moving it does NOT just fully actuate the brake. It will actually pulse the brake to try to keep the rear from locking up. It feels like the ABS module is also linked to the parking brake. Good news for an emergency stop...not so much for dirt road hijinks.

Another tidbit, if the "handbrake" button is actuated while moving it does NOT just fully actuate the brake. It will actually pulse the brake to try to keep the rear from locking up. It feels like the ABS module is also linked to the parking brake. Good news for an emergency stop...not so much for dirt road hijinks.

True, but the road doesn't need to be unpaved for some hijinks. I remember when I was 17 I borrowed my Father's nearly new Ford Fiesta, picked up a couple of friends and was looking for a parking space at a third friends apartment building. It was raining and I didn't see any spots nearby. Then I saw one across the street just big enough for the little Fiesta. I had goofed off with the parking brake before and decided to impress my friends. I steered left, towards the car in front of the opening, yanked on the parking brake and cranked the wheel over. I skidded around 130 degrees, coming to an abrupt stop right into the spot, front wheels six inches from the curb and the back wheels almost touching the curb and about 5 feet front and back to spare. My two friends were in awe barely believing what they had just witnessed. I was laughing in relief that I hadn't totaled my fathers car.

How stupid that was!

Back