2016 CX-5 Audio upgrade thread

The black receptacle connector on non-Bose dash speaker showing on the pics does look different from the white receptacle connector on your Bose dash speaker, doesn't it?

Yes. Completely different connector. That's why the adapter didn't work for me. Your only option is to either cut the female connector off of the wiring harness or transfer the male connector over to the new speaker. If I were you I'd do the latter. The male connector can be transferred back to the stock Bose speaker if needed. Just trust me on this one. You won't be disappointed.

ps not only is the non-Bose connector different to the Bose connector, the speaker itself is much smaller in the non-Bose version.

Last edited:
Is anyone putting in a sound-deadening barrier material as long as they have everything apart? My personal pet peeve with my 2016 CX-5 is that it doesn't contain anything inside. Has anyone noticed how loud the car is with the windows up and standing outside?

I also noticed that it is loud from the outside but IMO if the cabin is quiet from the inside that is more of my concern.

Also, I am going to try and return the Kicker hideaway sub. I think it is really underpowered for the money

Does anyone know the speaker sizes for the touring without the bose sound system?
For non-Bose 6-speaker audio system on 2016 CX-5 Touring, I believe it has two 3" (8cm) mid-range dash speakers and four 5" (13.5cm) "full-range" door speakers. It basically has the same setup as 2015 MY or earlier. You can check this

2015 6 Speaker Upgrade Details

thread and follow the very detailed instruction to do your speaker upgrade. 3" coaxial speaker such as very popular Polk Audio DB351 will fit the dash but very tight on driver side. It will provide missing directional high tones as there is no tweeters in the system. Polk Audio 6" DB651 coaxial speaker is also a very popular door speaker here for upgrade. Since you're going to tear apart the stock speaker adapter on doors when you're doing the upgrade, you can get new speaker adapter to fit any new 6" speakers like your Pioneer TS-A1685R 6" 4-way speaker but do compae the depth to Polk Audio 6" DB651 to make sure.

Including all the 2016 Bose audio system wiring diagrams makes the file too big here, but I include what are hopefully the 3 most relevant ones. Hope they help! These are directly from online Mazda Service information, to which a user can get a 24 hour subscription.

View attachment 212150

RLCarrington,

Any possibility for you to post or direct me on how to get similar diagrams for the base audio system in the 2016 CX-5 Sport Manual? It looks like I will have to cut and splice wires for the head unit install.

RLCarrington,

Any possibility for you to post or direct me on how to get similar diagrams for the base audio system in the 2016 CX-5 Sport Manual? It looks like I will have to cut and splice wires for the head unit install.

I got the Bose diagrams by signing up for 24 hour access to the Mazda online Service system...I think it was $20 for 24 hours access, and then tried to download and save whatever pages I thought might be useful to me now or later. Essentially, it is the Workshop Manual, although at the time I noted some info was not yet fully updated to reflect the 2016 (the audio system sections did seem to be updated, though).

I don't recall specifically, but I'd assume there are pages specific to the base audio system as well, since it is the workshop manual.

http://mazdaserviceinfo.com/

Go to the Electronic Service Info link at the top of the page.

I got the Bose diagrams by signing up for 24 hour access to the Mazda online Service system...I think it was $20 for 24 hours access, and then tried to download and save whatever pages I thought might be useful to me now or later. Essentially, it is the Workshop Manual, although at the time I noted some info was not yet fully updated to reflect the 2016 (the audio system sections did seem to be updated, though).

I don't recall specifically, but I'd assume there are pages specific to the base audio system as well, since it is the workshop manual.

http://mazdaserviceinfo.com/

Go to the Electronic Service Info link at the top of the page.

Thanks, that is exactly what I need!

For non-Bose 6-speaker audio system on 2016 CX-5 Touring, I believe it has two 3" (8cm) mid-range dash speakers and four 5" (13.5cm) "full-range" door speakers. It basically has the same setup as 2015 MY or earlier. You can check this

2015 6 Speaker Upgrade Details

thread and follow the very detailed instruction to do your speaker upgrade. 3" coaxial speaker such as very popular Polk Audio DB351 will fit the dash but very tight on driver side. It will provide missing directional high tones as there is no tweeters in the system. Polk Audio 6" DB651 coaxial speaker is also a very popular door speaker here for upgrade. Since you're going to tear apart the stock speaker adapter on doors when you're doing the upgrade, you can get new speaker adapter to fit any new 6" speakers like your Pioneer TS-A1685R 6" 4-way speaker but do compare the depth to Polk Audio 6" DB651 to make sure.
Thanks! I was told the 2016 is a different setup than the 2015 though?
Well, you're asking speaker sizes on non-Bose system, I'm pretty sure the sizes between 2015 and 2016 are the same. The pin-out on head-units are different. Even if the speaker setups turned out to be different, you still can follow the link I provided for 2015 doing your speaker upgrade as you're going to need some sort of speaker adapters for door speakers anyway.

I'm midway thru upgrading the speakers in the doors on the 2016 CX-5 with the Bose system and have a couple of questions:

1. On the speaker wiring harness to each speaker, is the striped wire always the negative? I've been looking at the wiring diagrams but is not evident to me as a novice. I want to be sure that I keep them in phase.
2. Any tips on reinstalling the door panels? It's very hard to get the weather seal over the steel edge of the door so it is seated correctly.

Thank you.

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the guidance on the dash speaker, I have the left and the center replaced with the Polks (I'm a fan of Polk Audio) and they sound great. I have some real difficulty trying to pop the right hand dash speaker cover off. I'm using plastic pry tools. Any suggestions on where or what angle to start it with? Thanks!

Never mind I managed to get all the Polk dash speakers in...I hear a significant difference in the highs and even the dialogue! Much more crisp..!
Thanks, guys for the guide on how to do them...!

I saw that Crutchfield has the approved speakers available for console, and doors. Curious if anyone has tried them yet...

I saw that Crutchfield has the approved speakers available for console, and doors. Curious if anyone has tried them yet...

YES! FINALLY for the 2016 GT w/ Bose

The adviser recommended for the fronts 6-3/4" Kicker 40CS674 with Scosche SAGMEQ656 brackets and the rears 6-1/2" Kicker 40CS654 with Metra 82-8145C brackets.
I too am wondering if anyone has replaced theirs yet? Wondering how they sound (base) with the factory amp since they have to have low power (watts).
Crutchfield says that dash speaker location will have to have wires cut and they don't have any recommendation for the pillars but I have seen alot of members here replace theirs without any problems.

Last edited:
On the 2016 Sport Manual (Non Bose) Can I still purchase the OEM tweeters? Are they still Plug and Play?

Thanks

On the 2016 Sport Manual (Non Bose) Can I still purchase the OEM tweeters? Are they still Plug and Play?
I believe installing OEM non-Bose 3" dash speakers is plug-and-play with existing wires on 2016 Sport. But the OEM non-Bose 3" dash speaker definitely is not tweeter and it's simply a cheap paper-cone mid-range speaker. It'd be better off getting aftermarket 3" co-axial speakers which have much better sound quality. To be sure, open up the speaker grill on dash and check for the existing wire laying there somewhere.

Hey all! Brand new member here. I've had my 2016.5 CX-5 GT for about a month now. Looking to do the dash speaker upgrades, but have a REALLY stupid question to ask before I do - does the speaker grill/dash cover fit after the upgrade? I'm good with tearing it all apart, just need to make sure it will go back together and look the same as it does now!

Thanks in advance!

Hey all! Brand new member here. I've had my 2016.5 CX-5 GT for about a month now. Looking to do the dash speaker upgrades, but have a REALLY stupid question to ask before I do - does the speaker grill/dash cover fit after the upgrade? I'm good with tearing it all apart, just need to make sure it will go back together and look the same as it does now!

Thanks in advance!

I replaced the dash speakers with the Infinity 3002 3.5 speakers and everything fit back together again beautifully.

Anyone have any thoughts on rear door speakers on the bose system? I upgraded the fronts with the infinity 3002. Based on how much better it sounded, I was thinking of replacing the rear door and d-pillar speakers. The matching rear door infinity speaker is 5.25 inches but there are larger 6.25 inch speakers from other companies that fit like the polk DXi651.

So my question is, how important is it to match the speakers up? I am looking to fill in some of the mid range sound that is missing, so it seems like going bigger is better for that. I was thinking I could move the infinities I already have to the rear pilar and put some polk db351 in the front and pair with the DXi651 in the rear. And while I have the rear door panel off, is it worth adding any sound proofing? Don't have many passengers in the back, so I am wondering if the extra weight is ever worth it.

Back