Removing factory roof rails/replacing with roof molding

SharkyNB

:
Mazda cx5
Hello! I recently purchased a mazda cx5 and I would love to take off the factory roof rails! I have done some digging around and I have not found a whole lot of information about this subject. I think I know what needs to be done but I would just like to see if someone out there has done this and can confirm this is correct before I attempt removal/order parts. From my research it sounds like the rails basically have a cap or cover on either end that needs to be popped off, from there some screws need to be loosened, and the rail can be removed. From here it sounds like I need to order these two parts KD33509H0 and KD33509L0 which is simply the replacement roof molding. What I am curious about is, are these the correct parts that will then fit in the place of the roof rails? Will I need to seal up the screw holes from removing the rails or will the molding cover it/require screws? Are these the only two parts needed to replace those rails or is there something else I am missing? Thanks in advance for the info! If this is all correct maybe I will start another thread or add a DIY photo tut to this thread. As I said it took some digging to come up with this info and Im sure someone else would appreciate a quick find...

the moulding simply snap into place there is not adhesive of any sort

the moulding simply snap into place there is not adhesive of any sort

Great - so does this cover the screw holes well enough or does it still need to be filled with a sealant? Also, another source mentioned molding clips to be safe I think it was product code D34050629A, necessary or not?

there are no screws or sealent. there are built in tabs and I think you need those clips to go around the tab

Before you go and buy the parts, you should see if someone on here wants to buy your rails. Then you could use the covers that they take off and they could you use the ones you take off. Might save a few $ on both sides of the swap.

That is what I have done. I have advertised my rails on here and CL. Eventually, somebody showed up and we have swapped the parts between our cars.

Back